Dedicated audio room build thread aka The Big Dig

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
What about line source speakers
Ive tried tow on my infinities not good lol . The maggies seem to benifit from this a bit

Carlos269

Mar 21, 2012
Thank you. So even though I’m sitting at the apex of an equilateral triangle, this is not considered near field listening.

I listened to some large JBL M9500 speakers sitting about 6 feet away from the front baffles. The speakers themselves were about six or 7 feet tweeter to tweeter. It was a good speaker position for the very difficult room in which they were placed. I always thought this was nearfield listening, but the speakers had zero toe-in and were aimed straight ahead. So by that definition, it was not nearfield listening either.

If your seat at the apex of the equilateral triangle achieves direct sound to arrive at your ears at least .4 milli-seconds (0.0004 Sec) before reflected sound then you are listening in a near-field arrangement.

Regarding the JBL M9500, I would expect that the off-axis dispersion pattern intensity is good and that it would allow for direct-sound to arrive before reflected sound. I speculate that you did listen to the JBL M9500 in a near-field arrangement, when you were 6 feet away even if the speakers are facing straight forward because their off-axis polar pattern.

Reactions: PeterA

Carlos269

Mar 21, 2012
What about line source speakers
Ive tried tow on my infinities not good lol . The maggies seem to benifit from this a bit

Easy test on the Maggies, keep the exact same speaker position but swap the left and right speaker; this will take the ribbon tweeter from the inside to the outside or vice-versa and you will get a quick indication of listening in versus outside of the triangle.

Reactions: Alrainbow

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Do i do this with panels flat no tow ? Then with tow in both ways ?
Thanks for advice

Carlos269

Mar 21, 2012
Do i do this with panels flat no tow ? Then with tow in both ways ?
Thanks for advice

If they are currently positioned to your liking then all you do is mark the perimeter of their current position with painter‘s tape and them position the other speaker in the exact same outline, marked by the painters tape, and compare.

Reactions: Alrainbow

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
If they are currently positioned to your liking then all you do is mark the perimeter of their current position with painter‘s tape and them position the other speaker in the exact same outline, marked by the painters tape, and compare.
Currently rhe floor has plenty of painters tape . Marked up by numbers
Got a book too to log the sounds and tracks used .

Pokey77

Feb 16, 2022
@HughP3

Hugh,

Read the whole thread front to back (over the course of a week or so!). What a journey and what an incredible room that became of it. I can only imagine how much you enjoy it and how much pleasure you have received completing the build and even more to moving on to the next system. Enjoy it every day and share with us when you have updates, we all appreciate it.

HughP3

VIP/Donor
Apr 25, 2019
@HughP3

Hugh,

Read the whole thread front to back (over the course of a week or so!). What a journey and what an incredible room that became of it. I can only imagine how much you enjoy it and how much pleasure you have received completing the build and even more to moving on to the next system. Enjoy it every day and share with us when you have updates, we all appreciate it.
You are a brave one to read thru all of this. Thanks very much. Its been a trek. I just shake my head and say thanks when i leave.

Loco57

Dec 1, 2011
Melbourne Australia
You are a brave one to read thru all of this. Thanks very much. Its been a trek. I just shake my head and say thanks when i leave.
Hugh,
followed your journey on a number of platforms with great interest and it is one that I plan on taking hopefully in the not to distant future myself and along similar lines. I too have read the entire post with one prevailing thought through it all and that is it really doesn't matter what anyone else thinks or says it's what you feel that is important no one else. I understand that there are varying views on anything and everything especially in HIFI and I have always maintained that if you have $10 ears buy a $10 dollar system anything else would be a total waste but I cringe at some people who have no actual first hand information making definitive statements on someone else system.

I congratulate you on pursuing your dream and how you have gone about it with real personal input to create the end result that you love and that is exactly my point.......it is your dream not anyone else's and you are the one who needs to be happy not every other self appointed expert. I have been involved with this hobby for most of my 65 years and the one thing I have learnt is that no two people hear the same thing form the same source it's all personal preference nothing more otherwise we would all have BOSE speakers!!

Just my 2c worth.

HughP3

VIP/Donor
Apr 25, 2019
Hugh,
followed your journey on a number of platforms with great interest and it is one that I plan on taking hopefully in the not to distant future myself and along similar lines. I too have read the entire post with one prevailing thought through it all and that is it really doesn't matter what anyone else thinks or says it's what you feel that is important no one else. I understand that there are varying views on anything and everything especially in HIFI and I have always maintained that if you have $10 ears buy a $10 dollar system anything else would be a total waste but I cringe at some people who have no actual first hand information making definitive statements on someone else system.

I congratulate you on pursuing your dream and how you have gone about it with real personal input to create the end result that you love and that is exactly my point.......it is your dream not anyone else's and you are the one who needs to be happy not every other self appointed expert. I have been involved with this hobby for most of my 65 years and the one thing I have learnt is that no two people hear the same thing form the same source it's all personal preference nothing more otherwise we would all have BOSE speakers!!

Just my 2c worth.
Thanks Loco57 for supporting the way. i hope your project begins soon and please share.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Equilateral triangles are always a bad idea. Very uninvolving sound.

MPS

Jun 20, 2016
Finland
I read through the thread over the weekend. What can I say, congratulations and thank You for sharing.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Last edited:

HughP3

VIP/Donor
Apr 25, 2019
I read through the thread over the weekend. What can I say, congratulations and thank You for sharing.
thank you! love the duo’s at axpona, great bass

schlager

May 7, 2015
Denmark
Bold of you Hugh, to show the measurements, hats off. They look pretty good and that is without DSP/DRC, nice. The room seems to work perfectly, having total control of reflection/modes and decay below 1 kHz and the diffusers doing their thing above 1 kHz.
I just wonder about the bass response. Judging from the frequency response, it seems to taper off below 70 hz thus leaving the impression of a bass sound with lots of mid bass with +10dB (kick 70-200 hz) but lacking in the rumble department. How do you hear it in the SS?

Reactions: tpsully99

HughP3

VIP/Donor
Apr 25, 2019
Hi,

this track starts with a very low note from the largest organ in Europe (from my understanding). It feels like a train going by through my armrests and in my chest.

i asked Jim Smith what he thought of the very low bass impact. He likes subs even with very hi end but in this case he said they are not needed. I would have done it too.

Attachments

• CFAA0D57-B5B6-4C3E-BB20-676A8A4AA4EC.png
    CFAA0D57-B5B6-4C3E-BB20-676A8A4AA4EC.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 21
Last edited:

schlager

May 7, 2015
Denmark
I agree with Jim Smith, subs are almost always needed, but with the Kodo's that ground should be covered.

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
Hugh, how far from the wall behind you are you sitting? Did you find that Jim moved your chair very much?

HughP3

VIP/Donor
Apr 25, 2019
Hugh, how far from the wall behind you are you sitting? Did you find that Jim moved your chair very much?
Here are measurements

6 feet from back of chair to back wall
12 feet from Ear to tweeter
About 9’ 10” Tweeter to tweeter
10 1/2 feet from back of speaker to front of diffusers. Diffuser are 16” deep
4’ 1” bass towers center to side wall
5’ 8” center of mid tower to side wall

once jim set the positions i have slightly moved my chair a bit for personal taste

Attachments

• FC3E5BCD-DBEA-4072-BB5B-9B1B5D23945C.jpeg
    FC3E5BCD-DBEA-4072-BB5B-9B1B5D23945C.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 100
  • B5DE846C-934D-4502-A1E8-9C4584A4A4B6.jpeg
    B5DE846C-934D-4502-A1E8-9C4584A4A4B6.jpeg
    957.9 KB · Views: 107

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing