Dedicated audio room build thread aka The Big Dig

tpsully99

VIP/Donor
Jan 11, 2014
New Hampshire, USA
Hi Tom, no measurements yet. I would like to but got sidetracked with cables, clock and now new analog system coming. Frankly i like the sound so much its only a curiosity at this point.
Thanks for the reply. Glad you're enjoying your system. I bet it sounds incredible!
Tom

Reactions: HughP3

rando

Sep 22, 2019
no measurements yet. I would like to but got sidetracked with...

I seem to remember an extended celebratory lap replete with lots of testing of what lubricants performed best on what track. :p

On a related note, are you planning to get the race car out this season?

HughP3

VIP/Donor
Apr 25, 2019
I seem to remember an extended celebratory lap replete with lots of testing of what lubricants performed best on what track. :p

On a related note, are you planning to get the race car out this season?
I hope in April. Weather getting nice now. New hot rod should be here in May , Radical Sr10.

HughP3

VIP/Donor
Apr 25, 2019
Hugh, I understand that measuring can easily become way on the back burner when your room is sounding amazing, and having followed your extraordinary build I can’t imagine it sounds anything less than amazing. And, having watched a few of your designer’s videos, he seems extremely competent.

One question I’d have for him would be “How can you accomplish similar results with half the budget?” (To be kind to you though I wouldn’t ask him in your presence!) ;)
hey bob, yeah i dont know either. taking the building, slab and a/c out, the rooms big ticket items were the 8k pounds of 4mm activated carbon, the massive diffusers, the 22 foot span lvl beams for ceiling (maybe get bye with engineered ibeams but still has to support up to 6 inches of layering + carbon boxes). the rest is a lot of 2x12 x12 lumber and a lot of 4x8 osb and mdf sheets + labor. maybe the MLV rolls could be substituted with another anti-vibration method.

i will get around to having independent measurements but whatever that will show is subordinate to the actual sound.

Reactions: pjwd

cal3713

Nov 2, 2020
youtube.com
Really happy there was some conversation on this thread today. Made me find it for the first time and binge read the journey. Was great fun.

Congrats on such a great outcome. The room looks to be perfect.

Reactions: christoph

cal3713

Nov 2, 2020
youtube.com
Acoustic Fields’ latest production, starring Hugh - congratulations!
If anyone following the thread hasn't watched this video, it's a must see.

Hugh, congrats. It is just amazing what you've built. It needs to become a protected site, as clearly your construction is going to allow it to outlive anyone currently alive.

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
hey bob, yeah i dont know either. taking the building, slab and a/c out, the rooms big ticket items were the 8k pounds of 4mm activated carbon, the massive diffusers, the 22 foot span lvl beams for ceiling (maybe get bye with engineered ibeams but still has to support up to 6 inches of layering + carbon boxes). the rest is a lot of 2x12 x12 lumber and a lot of 4x8 osb and mdf sheets + labor. maybe the MLV rolls could be substituted with another anti-vibration method.

i will get around to having independent measurements but whatever that will show is subordinate to the actual sound.
Hugh, mostly I was poking fun. Having done my own acoustic remodel, I know how quickly the costs add up. My question to your designer would be as a challenge—can it be done less expensively? What other (less costly) techniques could he employ? Your designer’s use of carbon appears to be unique to his approach (I could be wrong here.)

HughP3

VIP/Donor
Apr 25, 2019
Hugh, mostly I was poking fun. Having done my own acoustic remodel, I know how quickly the costs add up. My question to your designer would be as a challenge—can it be done less expensively? What other (less costly) techniques could he employ? Your designer’s use of carbon appears to be unique to his approach (I could be wrong here.)
I gotcha! It would be interesting to see what he could come up with. I know he simulates using ray trace software. I dont lnow which one but i found olive tree has that capability however its 6k so not a casual endeavor

Reactions: Bobvin

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I hope in April. Weather getting nice now. New hot rod should be here in May , Radical Sr10.

That Radical SR10 looks very cool!

Reactions: HughP3

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Hugh, I just watched the video. The room looks absolutely unbelievable! CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Reactions: Mikem53 and cal3713

HughP3

VIP/Donor
Apr 25, 2019
Really happy there was some conversation on this thread today. Made me find it for the first time and binge read the journey. Was great fun.

Congrats on such a great outcome. The room looks to be perfect.
Thank your your brave to read it thru

HughP3

VIP/Donor
Apr 25, 2019
Hugh, I just watched the video. The room looks absolutely unbelievable! CONGRATULATIONS!!!
Thank you Ron! And thanks again for your gracious advice.

cal3713

Nov 2, 2020
youtube.com
Thank your your brave to read it thru
Was a pleasure. Thanks for sharing.

I ended a 17-year academic career and was hired into a research division of the IRS in Atlanta this fall. I probably won't end up keeping the job and making the move due to the pandemic, but the idea of possibly-maybe getting to hear this room has been the most exciting thing I've learned about living in Atlanta.

I'm honestly just floored by what you've accomplished. Seems like it couldn't possibly be any better. (And just great that you did so much of it with your own hands, so much better for developing a real understanding.)

Reactions: Bobvin

LenWhite

Feb 11, 2011
Florida
systems.audiogon.com
You must be immensely grateful and proud to have been able to build the ultimate dedicated stereo listening room Hugh.

I spent a lot of effort and money adding a dedicated listening room addition to my home in 2015. I think it sounds fantastic and considerably better than anything I've heard at a dealer or audio shows.

But my effort pails in comparison to what you've accomplished. I hope one day to be able to see and hear your magnificent room. The only thing I've seen that even begins to resemble what you've accomplished is the Magico listening room.

The Acoustic Fields video has made me start thinking about upgrading my room using them. Unfortunately I don't have the benefit of the space you have, and I can't tear the room down and start over. But that video and your room are simply phenomenal.

Congratulations, truly.

HughP3

VIP/Donor
Apr 25, 2019
Was a pleasure. Thanks for sharing.

I ended a 17-year academic career and was hired into a research division of the IRS in Atlanta this fall. I probably won't end up keeping the job and making the move due to the pandemic, but the idea of possibly-maybe getting to hear this room has been the most exciting thing I've learned about living in Atlanta.

I'm honestly just floored by what you've accomplished. Seems like it couldn't possibly be any better. (And just great that you did so much of it with your own hands, so much better for developing a real understanding.)
Please come by anytime. Pm sent.

cal3713

Nov 2, 2020
youtube.com
Thank you! PM replied to!

HughP3

VIP/Donor
Apr 25, 2019
You must be immensely grateful and proud to have been able to build the ultimate dedicated stereo listening room Hugh.

I spent a lot of effort and money adding a dedicated listening room addition to my home in 2015. I think it sounds fantastic and considerably better than anything I've heard at a dealer or audio shows.

But my effort pails in comparison to what you've accomplished. I hope one day to be able to see and hear your magnificent room. The only thing I've seen that even begins to resemble what you've accomplished is the Magico listening room.

The Acoustic Fields video has made me start thinking about upgrading my room using them. Unfortunately I don't have the benefit of the space you have, and I can't tear the room down and start over. But that video and your room are simply phenomenal.

Congratulations, truly.
Thank you Len and would love to see some pics of your project. And i like showing it off warts and all so pm me if your in atl .

RichDavis

Feb 3, 2014
Great room. I stumbled across Acoustic Fields about 8 years ago. I checked out the demo room they had back then and was simply amazed at how his rooms sound. I can only imagine that your room is simply amongst the best in the world.. What did you end up doing with the flooring? Also, is there any additional things like adding diffusion on the ceiling?

How about adding a motor to the doors?

RichDavis

Feb 3, 2014
I have to add my two cents...

Hugh and I were introduced by a mutual friend. I have heard the room twice now and it is truly spectacular and I've been in some damn fine rooms. A few observations:

1. The room is incredibly neutral. The bass performance feels so right.
2. The Gryphon gear is sublime. The Trident IIs have tremendous clarity and "whoop you ass" dynamics.
3. The Shunyata cabling is excellent but Hugh and I have discussed a couple of tweaks that I believe will take the sound even higher. Although honestly it's really, really good.
4. The place just feels comfortable as well. Maybe it's Hugh's hospitality in part but it is not a "stuffy" listening room. It's more casual like a music barn of sorts. Comfy chairs, good demo music, and a terrific host.
5. The MSB Reference DAC is really special. The digital clarity and naturalness is really quite special.

It's a terrific room. Grab a listen if you get a chance.
I would suggest checking out MIT Cables and obtain some loaners of their various cables. I've been a long time fan of MIT and have only seen improvements in their deigns over the years.. They have a loaner program so you can get a pair of cables for 30 days, and then send them back and get another pair, etc. It's a great program they have. In the room Hugh has, you should be able to hear subtle differences in cables loud and clear.

ACHiPo

Feb 22, 2015
Pleasanton, CA
Wow Hugh, I'm late to the party, but that is quite the project. I'm glad your experience with Dennis was a positive one, and I now understand better why he and I were on totally different planets when it came to what "acceptable room treatment" means!

I certainly would be very interested to hear a room like that. I can only imagine it would be similar (and probably better) than a purpose-built performing arts space.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing