Dedicated audio room build thread aka The Big Dig

HughP3

VIP/Donor
Apr 25, 2019
As another WBF member who has invested heavily in treating the listening room with QRDs and Diaphragmic bass absorbers, albeit at a much smaller scale than Hugh :) , I'm fascinated by the measurements, particularly with the periodicity and uniformity of the frequencies above 3.5kHz (upper bandwidth limit of the QRDs), and how/why they're so prominently louder than the lower frequencies under 2kHz. Hugh, I'm very interested in understanding the actual setup of the testing rig. Was the frequency generator an actual transducer (separate from the L/R stereo speakers) pointed towards the QRD wall, to "measure" the front wall's behavior? Or, was it a FFT calculation, based on the mic measurements taken from the two main stereo L/R speakers at the listening position?
The measurements were done with REW and a calibrated mike at the seating position in stereo.

QuadDiffuser

VIP/Donor
Apr 2, 2017
Hong Kong
Thanks, Hugh. BTW, what does the acronym "REW" mean?

ACHiPo

Feb 22, 2015
Pleasanton, CA

rando

Sep 22, 2019
Hugh, dedicated race cars, fast characters, and attempts by scrutineering to learn what you did right they can't regulate against yet. One gets the feeling this little music room project is just slightly more exciting to witness live than industry gossip and chasing women (direction intentionally left blank) on WBF combined.

Inside this competitive environment you appear to have eased into a listening chair most days. Personally I think you have a decent grasp of air movement and when to listen for something that doesn't exist yet.

For the cheap seats, would you mind offering a brief overview of what you've been up to since declaring the room and initial setup complete? At least a few hints what you aren't doing. ;)

brad225

VIP/Donor
Nov 22, 2012
My apologies if this is unwarranted but.
Rando could you re-fraze your comments as much of it, to someone that is not a worksmith, sounds back handedly condescendingly/congratullatory versed.

Thanks, Brad

Reactions: cal3713

rando

Sep 22, 2019
Rando could you re-fraze your comments as much of it, to someone that is not a worksmith, sounds back handedly condescendingly/congratullatory versed.

I assure you nothing interior to my statement held the aims indicated above.

To satisfy your request:

I laughed off the recent scrutiny to inquire what elements of this hobby are currently engaging him. Much as I might ask after his season at the track without undue concern what it had engendered in the minds of a few others holding interest in the competitive aspects.

brad225

VIP/Donor
Nov 22, 2012

To satisfy your request:

I laughed off the recent scrutiny to inquire what elements of this hobby are currently engaging him. Much as I might ask after his season at the track without undue concern what it had engendered in the minds of a few others holding interest in the competitive aspects.
Thanks rando.

Reactions: rando

HughP3

VIP/Donor
Apr 25, 2019

To satisfy your request:

Sorry Rando i dont follow. Sounds like your using a translator? Thanks

rando

Sep 22, 2019
Hugh, sorry to say it proves impossible to further dilute my thoughts.

I assure you there is no end of confusion on my part where technical difficulties were encountered. Surely would've been appreciated if you or the gentleman bordering on derogation of Southern speech patterns had taken steps towards demystifying troubles encountered.

Maybe it's for the best if we collectively let this drop and I end by wishing you and yours a Happy Holidays.

brad225

VIP/Donor
Nov 22, 2012
Sorry but, I still have know idea what information you are looking for.

K3RMIT

Sep 4, 2020
Hugh, nice project! I'm curious- you said you liked the Gryphon Trident at AXPONA. Agree. I thought it was some of the best sound at the show. So why not consider Gryphon Amps to replace the Macs? (You may not have a good impedance match using the Ref 6 but that might apply to several other amps as well).
Marty read what elliot said and think again about what rob said in amp testing. i don’t doubt your a very good listener and how to setup. but to just put in and out amps is ok. But when changes are heard some adjusting I feel is possible warranted.

K3RMIT

Sep 4, 2020
As you are going full out, you might want to consider having 230 volt power available in your room. Double the AC voltage halves the current draw and the consequent magnetic effects of the currents
In the USA 230 volt equipment is better
as it has less noise. and some feel amps sound better too.

K3RMIT

Sep 4, 2020
As promised a short video of the project. Lol no i wont quit my day job as I suck as a presenter but hope its still informative.

We are getting close to needing the HVAC system installed. I will have a separate dehumidifier system (yes can turn off as needed) to keep the activated carbon dry. Once that is up and running the carbon can be shipped and we start to fill/install boxes. After the boxes are in, wiring can be installed. The wiring has to run on the room side of the boxes.

Im curios does the duct work effect the sound ?

brad225

VIP/Donor
Nov 22, 2012
In the USA 230 volt equipment is better
as it has less noise. and some feel amps sound better too.
Does it have "less noise" because it is drawing less amps? it is obviously drawing current from 2 lets of the panel so, how does that work.

Thanks

HughP3

VIP/Donor
Apr 25, 2019

K3RMIT

Sep 4, 2020
The ducts are lined with 2 inches of absorber
I read that at one time I had duct work in my room a larger room not as big as yours now. when music was playing it effected the lower frequencies a bit. Took me a while to hear it. i Proved my theory buy closing them up temporarily
i then removed them and use 4 ductless heat pump ones.
fhe room I’m planning to build down south about your size will have them as well.
im not saying it will effect yours but I
saying for all the money your spending was this considered or questioned ?
ps I was warned not too but of course ignored the advise hahahaa

Reactions: christoph

K3RMIT

Sep 4, 2020
Does it have "less noise" because it is drawing less amps? it is obviously drawing current from 2 lets of the panel so, how does that work.

Thanks
No for one thing dc offset is far less on two of the phases as compared to one phase to ground
the noise that is in part created is made by devices on 125 line power not 230 volt in the USA
even common noise is less too.
As for amps in part your thought is correct. second the dc offset has a greater effect on larger wire windings and bigger core
so in effect dc offset loads the core and windings and can greatly reduce the capacity of the tranny
makiig its core saturate leading up to a voltage drop in the main psu voltage
it can be measured even at idle
I have done so

HughP3

VIP/Donor
Apr 25, 2019
I read that at one time I had duct work in my room a larger room not as big as yours now. when music was playing it effected the lower frequencies a bit. Took me a while to hear it. i Proved my theory buy closing them up temporarily
i then removed them and use 4 ductless heat pump ones.
fhe room I’m planning to build down south about your size will have them as well.
im not saying it will effect yours but I
saying for all the money your spending was this considered or questioned ?
ps I was warned not too but of course ignored the advise hahahaa
The design was to eliminate compressor and air movement noise which worked out well.

interesting idea tho. I will devise a test at some point and see what happens. Thanks

K3RMIT

Sep 4, 2020
The design was to eliminate compressor and air movement noise which worked out well.

interesting idea tho. I will devise a test at some point and see what happens. Thanks
Please don’t go crazy lol I see some do you duct work and yes like you it’s dampened inside. the split ductless are very quit as well. part Of me is reading and seeing your place and being happy me too. The other part is how long of a journey and pitfalls along the way.
my place wil be a room in a room.
basically a huge pre made barn placed
on a slab or sorts. enjoy your new place and please keep Al the pics and posts coming and most of all the high level of honesty in perfection and reality.
bass traps are needed I look forward to how well they work in reality at your place.

Reactions: HughP3

brad225

VIP/Donor
Nov 22, 2012
No for one thing dc offset is far less on two of the phases as compared to one phase to ground
the noise that is in part created is made by devices on 125 line power not 230 volt in the USA
even common noise is less too.
As for amps in part your thought is correct. second the dc offset has a greater effect on larger wire windings and bigger core
so in effect dc offset loads the core and windings and can greatly reduce the capacity of the tranny
makiig its core saturate leading up to a voltage drop in the main psu voltage
it can be measured even at idle
I have done so
Thanks K#RMIT. I agree about the effect of DC. I have custom DC blocking devices on both amps and complete front end. Made a noticeable difference.

Reactions: K3RMIT

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing