Dead Takatsuki 274B

ihmeyers

VIP/Donor
Nov 13, 2017
Palm Beach County, Florida
I'm incredibly bummed that my Tak 274B is dead after less than 2 years. I bought it from the guy who sold me my Lampi TRP (which he had for a year) in August 2020 which means it had only 20 months worth of use. I'd guess it had somewhere around 1000 hrs on it as I don't play my system more than a couple of hours a week. Never had a tube fail this quickly, especially one that costs $1000 to replace. I suppose I have no choice but to eat it but I sure wish the manufacturer would step in and at least sell me one at a discount.

For all everyone says about it being a great tube, and it is, failing after 1000 hours makes it a no go for me going forward. Now, YMMV but caveat emptor.

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Hi, Hmm, I agree the item should not be in the state you mention after such short period----I have Takatsukis and have had
exemplary service from Amtrans Jp direct on any problem-! with the address and contacts as I've posted below.
Sorry the gentleman's name I could not decipher on my invoice -but I'm sure an email would be first option stating your predicament--

I have corresponded in English with them.
Good Luck,
BruceD
IMG_1915.jpg

ihmeyers

VIP/Donor
Nov 13, 2017
Hi, Hmm, I agree the item should not be in the state you mention after such short period----I have Takatsukis and have had
exemplary service from Amtrans Jp direct on any problem-! with the address and contacts as I've posted below.
Sorry the gentleman's name I could not decipher on my invoice -but I'm sure an email would be first option stating your predicament--

I have corresponded in English with them.
Good Luck,
BruceD
View attachment 77317
Thank you very much Bruce. Very kind of you to post that for me. I just looked at the paperwork that came with the tube, but other than the serial # R01965, there isn't any other identifier so I don't know when it was manufactured.

I have no reason to doubt what the original owner told me. I know he bought it after he bought his TRP which was manufactured in late 2019. I will contact them. The worst they can do is say know.

Thanks!

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
I bought mine directly from Takatsuki when I was in Japan, it was January 2018 and it was just manufactured. Here is the paper that came along, it shows the date and serial number. Yours seem to be newer. If I remember correctly they were building twenty five 274b tubes per month

Attachments

• EA5059E9-7FFD-4527-A1BB-86707F7895DF.jpeg
    EA5059E9-7FFD-4527-A1BB-86707F7895DF.jpeg
    339.7 KB · Views: 11

ihmeyers

VIP/Donor
Nov 13, 2017
I bought mine directly from Takatsuki when I was in Japan, it was January 2018 and it was just manufactured. Here is the paper that came along, it shows the date and serial number. Yours seem to be newer. If I remember correctly they were building twenty five 274b tubes per month
Thank you. For some reason the boxes on mine aren't filled out other than it lists the serial #. It also came with the printout of the DC curve. My tube is numbered 249 higher than yours, so it's obviously post Jan 2018. Assuming you're right about monthly production, that would date the tube to about the end of 2018. That makes sense because the original owner acquired the Lampi in mid 2019 and then bought the tube. In any case, the tube would be slightly more than two years old. It should not have failed this quickly. I understand that just happens sometimes. I have already e-mailed Amtrans. I hope they will provide me with a new tube. We shall see.

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
Thank you. For some reason the boxes on mine aren't filled out other than it lists the serial #. It also came with the printout of the DC curve. My tube is numbered 249 higher than yours, so it's obviously post Jan 2018. Assuming you're right about monthly production, that would date the tube to about the end of 2018. That makes sense because the original owner acquired the Lampi in mid 2019 and then bought the tube. In any case, the tube would be slightly more than two years old. It should not have failed this quickly. I understand that just happens sometimes. I have already e-mailed Amtrans. I hope they will provide me with a new tube. We shall see.
They are very reliable tubes in my experience. I also have friends who use 274b and 300b from Takatsuki and I do not know a single one that failed. I hope you sort it out.

Reactions: ihmeyers

ihmeyers

VIP/Donor
Nov 13, 2017
They are very reliable tubes in my experience. I also have friends who use 274b and 300b from Takatsuki and I do not know a single one that failed. I hope you sort it out.

I believe that they are. It happens sometimes. I know it's not the DAC because the replacement rectifier(s) I am using all work fine. The Taki, unfortunately suffered an untimely early death.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing