dCS Vivaldi Upsampler Plus

Enatai252

Mar 2, 2013
Pacific NW
I received my update to bring the Vivaldi Upsampler to "Plus" status yesterday. The new network/USB board has been significantly reengineered and should result in benefits for those using the network/USB inputs like me. I saw some old board vs new board comparisons and it's clear that dCS took great care in redesigning. You can now upsample to 2XDSD but I have historically used DXD on PCM data and will stay the course while I get used to the new unit

Other benefits include Tidal, Spotify and AirPlay capability similar to the Rosini although given the quality of the latter two I will only be using Tidal lossless on this system

The new upsampler does switch you over to the new control app which is a change in Ui for those using the old app. I actually prefer the new format and since I also have a Rossini have been using the new app with that unit for awhile. The app easily allows you to control many of the Upsampler and DAC functions such as sampling rate, inputs and filters along with other parameters. My one wish is that while it will put the Upsampler, DAC and transport into sleep mode..I still have to manually turn on/off the clock. Maybe next update.

Plan to listen over the upcoming 3 day weekend and spend sometime comparing with the Rosinni/clock now that both have similar network boards....may not be a fair fight as I understand dCS took what it learned from Rossini and than greatly improved it

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I received my update to bring the Vivaldi Upsampler to "Plus" status yesterday. The new network/USB board has been significantly reengineered and should result in benefits for those using the network/USB inputs like me. I saw some old board vs new board comparisons and it's clear that dCS took great care in redesigning. You can now upsample to 2XDSD but I have historically used DXD on PCM data and will stay the course while I get used to the new unit

Other benefits include Tidal, Spotify and AirPlay capability similar to the Rosini although given the quality of the latter two I will only be using Tidal lossless on this system

The new upsampler does switch you over to the new control app which is a change in Ui for those using the old app. I actually prefer the new format and since I also have a Rossini have been using the new app with that unit for awhile. The app easily allows you to control many of the Upsampler and DAC functions such as sampling rate, inputs and filters along with other parameters. My one wish is that while it will put the Upsampler, DAC and transport into sleep mode..I still have to manually turn on/off the clock. Maybe next update.

Plan to listen over the upcoming 3 day weekend and spend sometime comparing with the Rosinni/clock now that both have similar network boards....may not be a fair fight as I understand dCS took what it learned from Rossini and than greatly improved it

My Vivaldi Upsampler goes back in about 10 days for it's update. Curious to your listening impressions. And if you try 2xDSD. Also if you have any native 2xDSD records to listen too...

Cincy2

VIP/Donor
Jun 2, 2016
Tampa, Florida
ENatal252

How long did it take you to get the upgrade - door to door? Did the unit have to go back to England?

Thanks
Cincy

Enatai252

Mar 2, 2013
Pacific NW
ENatal252

How long did it take you to get the upgrade - door to door? Did the unit have to go back to England?

Thanks
Cincy

Cincy

I had mine scheduled at the same time dCS rep was in town so it was performed at my dealer by dCS. 24 hour turnaround. It does not need to go back to UK. I expect they could make this relatively brief if scheduled right....shipping time would be long pole

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
Didn't know the Upsampler 2 was called the Upsampler Plus. Is that a new designation?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Didn't know the Upsampler 2 was called the Upsampler Plus. Is that a new designation?

The designation showed in the press release of the Vivaldi 2.0 and I have seen it in the price lists. They are using it probably to separate new units from older units that did not get the hardware upgrade.

cuprone1

Feb 10, 2013
Italy
Hi All.
as I have to upgrade my Vivaldi upsampler to the new 2.0 status, may I know how much I have to spend for it?
thks

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
This requires a board change. Mine had to go back to the factory if I recall. I'd contract your dealer...

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
This requires a board change. Mine had to go back to the factory if I recall. I'd contract your dealer...

As far as I remember the board change does not need to go back to the factory - the boards can be exchanged by the distributor. The dealer should know about it better.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Ok, just read form Audiobeat : http://www.theaudiobeat.com/equipment/dcs_vivaldi_20.htm

John Quick, manager of dCS Americas and a music omnivore (...) On his second visit, John did some light surgery to the system, upgrading it to 2.0 status. This involved installing new software for the Vivaldi Transport and DAC, and new network and USB boards (and new software) for the Upsampler. Because dCS envisioned the Vivaldi system to be a reference-level platform for an extended period of time -- many years, if not decades -- it was imperative for each product to be modular, so circuit boards could be easily swapped.

BTW, if you get a Taiko Audio Extreme you jump to DCS Vivaldi 3.0 status! ;)

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
As far as I remember the board change does not need to go back to the factory - the boards can be exchanged by the distributor. The dealer should know about it better.
My dealer is pretty accomplished. However mine had to go back anyway due to the particular version I had.

cuprone1

Feb 10, 2013
Italy
No other contributes about the upgrade cost and if there has been one upgrade from 2016 or two? Regarding what if two?
Thks

Townes

Oct 28, 2019
Switzerland
With regard to the upgrade cost for the Upsampler:
I did this last year. Costs were about 2100 Euro (excl. taxes). The upgrade was done by More Music (Holland).

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing