DCS Users, How do you stream?

BFlowers

Apr 23, 2010
Westlake Texas
I'm taking the plunge into streaming for all of the obvious reasons. I currently have Roon/Qobuz connected to the upsampler of my Vivaldi (I have the 4 box Vivaldi Stack) via Ethernet. The Roon core is on my office computer a great distance away. Sound quality is decent, but not as good as the spinning discs! There are many ways to skin this cat and I have friends who swear by Taiko. However, it has been mentioned to me that DCS is "optimized" for ethernet connectivity (via the DAC or upsampler) whereas others (such as Taiko) use USB. It has been suggested to me to purchase an upgraded switch, linear power supply, and a local Roon Core and that will suffice for DCS. What has been the experience of other DCS users in terms of getting the most from streaming?

Thanks,

Brian

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
+1 for Taiko.
I have Rossini (non Apex) via USB. Taiko Extreme server significantly upped the sound quality vs ethernet from my Roon Rock.

Reactions: Lee

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Taiko Extreme to the dCS Vivaldi upsampler via USB. Now using the Nordost QNet switch, but I have ordered the Taiko switch.

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Good to know. I spoke to Bob at Rhapsody at length about Taiko. Perhaps a disclosure.
Not sure what you’re asking re disclosure? My signature discloses affiliation with Rhapsody. No products are on loan, I own everything in my signature. I am but a “brand ambassador.” And while my Rossini is likely to be replaced in the future, the Extreme will be staying and additional Taiko pieces will be added.

Absent any affiliation with Rhapsody I’d have said the same about the Taiko server. I’m confident other Taiko owners will agree.

Marck1973

Aug 11, 2017
I'm taking the plunge into streaming for all of the obvious reasons. I currently have Roon/Qobuz connected to the upsampler of my Vivaldi (I have the 4 box Vivaldi Stack) via Ethernet. The Roon core is on my office computer a great distance away. Sound quality is decent, but not as good as the spinning discs! There are many ways to skin this cat and I have friends who swear by Taiko. However, it has been mentioned to me that DCS is "optimized" for ethernet connectivity (via the DAC or upsampler) whereas others (such as Taiko) use USB. It has been suggested to me to purchase an upgraded switch, linear power supply, and a local Roon Core and that will suffice for DCS. What has been the experience of other DCS users in terms of getting the most from streaming?

Thanks,

Brian
Hi Brian,

So I am in a very similar position to you are in terms of streaming considerations. I have a 4 box Vivaldi and currently just going through my Upsampler / Mosaic to stream Qobuz and Tidal.

I have recently replaced my router with a better one (Draytek) and have ordered a proper power supply for this. I am also waiting for my dedicated switch (and power supply) which will be used to go from there into the DCS. This will be used only for the DCS, nothing else on the switch. At least then I have done what I can with the source of data (into whatever the end product is).

After I have let that settle I am planning on evaluating the difference (improvements). I have been told (and read) it should be a good bump up. Thereafter I will see, maybe an Aurender or even wait and see what DCS does in the future. I would be surprised if they dont introduce a higher end streaming solution, either as part of Vivaldi, higher range or even a stand alone product.

Let me know what you decide
Thanks
Marc.

Reactions: NigelB

BFlowers

Apr 23, 2010
Westlake Texas
Not sure what you’re asking re disclosure? My signature discloses affiliation with Rhapsody. No products are on loan, I own everything in my signature. I am but a “brand ambassador.” And while my Rossini is likely to be replaced in the future, the Extreme will be staying and additional Taiko pieces will be added.

Absent any affiliation with Rhapsody I’d have said the same about the Taiko server. I’m confident other Taiko owners will agree.
Taiko Extreme to the dCS Vivaldi upsampler via USB. Now using the Nordost QNet switch, but I have ordered the Taiko switch.

Microstrip,
Have you tried other ways of connecting to the DCS before the Taiko? Is there a reason to connect to the upsampler versus the DAC? I have also heard quite a bit about the importance of a proper switch. Apparently nordost can't get parts for theirs at the moment and it is out of production for now. Ultimately, I'm interested in what differences are heard from the various changes.

Thanks

BFlowers

Apr 23, 2010
Westlake Texas

Ultimately I am here to learn from others' experiences as they developed their streaming capabilities. What worked and what didn't, and how they ended up where they are. I have a close friend who loves Taiko and I may end up there, but he doesn't use DCS. On the disclosure front, you may not be aware that my friend referred me to Bob to purchase a Taiko. So when the first response I get is from someone affiliated with him, a disclosure seems appropriate. Just one man's opinion. Not suggesting ill intent or that your response is not valid.

BFlowers

Apr 23, 2010
Westlake Texas
Hi Brian,

So I am in a very similar position to you are in terms of streaming considerations. I have a 4 box Vivaldi and currently just going through my Upsampler / Mosaic to stream Qobuz and Tidal.

I have recently replaced my router with a better one (Draytek) and have ordered a proper power supply for this. I am also waiting for my dedicated switch (and power supply) which will be used to go from there into the DCS. This will be used only for the DCS, nothing else on the switch. At least then I have done what I can with the source of data (into whatever the end product is).

After I have let that settle I am planning on evaluating the difference (improvements). I have been told (and read) it should be a good bump up. Thereafter I will see, maybe an Aurender or even wait and see what DCS does in the future. I would be surprised if they dont introduce a higher end streaming solution, either as part of Vivaldi, higher range or even a stand alone product.

Let me know what you decide
Thanks
Marc.
What type of switch and power supply did you buy? I'm looking in to that as well.

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Ultimately I am here to learn from others' experiences as they developed their streaming capabilities. What worked and what didn't, and how they ended up where they are. I have a close friend who loves Taiko and I may end up there, but he doesn't use DCS. On the disclosure front, you may not be aware that my friend referred me to Bob to purchase a Taiko. So when the first response I get is from someone affiliated with him, a disclosure seems appropriate. Just one man's opinion. Not suggesting ill intent or that your response is not valid.
I get you. :cool:

I had not spoken with Bob. I was just relaying that I had some relevant experience — Rhapsody doesn’t carry dCS, but I have had Rossini for a number of years (gift from my wife) and still have a roon NUC for the occasional comparison for those curious just how big a positive sound quality difference the Taiko adds. But then, for the $$, you’d hope for a significant improvement. That they keep marching forward with improvements was instrumental in convincing me because I had been very reluctant given the pace of change in the digital realm.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Microstrip,
Have you tried other ways of connecting to the DCS before the Taiko? Is there a reason to connect to the upsampler versus the DAC? I have also heard quite a bit about the importance of a proper switch. Apparently nordost can't get parts for theirs at the moment and it is out of production for now. Ultimately, I'm interested in what differences are heard from the various changes.

Thanks

Before the Taiko I used a DIY built server using Jcat boards using with the network connection of the upsampler. I have tried the upsampler directly to the Qnet recently with Mosaic for a few days, as my Roon signature suddenly ended, but it was clearly inferior to the Extreme in my system - the Taiko sound is more "fluid" and nuanced. The soundstage also seems less bonded.

When getting the Extrme I thought that maybe the upsampler was not needed any more as the DAC has an USB input - wrong, the dCS stack sounds better with the upsampler.

BFlowers

Apr 23, 2010
Westlake Texas
I get you. :cool:

I had not spoken with Bob. I was just relaying that I had some relevant experience — Rhapsody doesn’t carry dCS, but I have had Rossini for a number of years (gift from my wife) and still have a roon NUC for the occasional comparison for those curious just how big a positive sound quality difference the Taiko adds. But then, for the $$, you’d hope for a significant improvement. That they keep marching forward with improvements was instrumental in convincing me because I had been very reluctant given the pace of change in the digital realm.
Super helpful. Thanks.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
I use the Ansuz ethernet switch, Ansuz Sort Ethernet plug for my router, and the dCS Mosaic app. Sounds amazing.

Make sure you have all router and switch gear plugged into a good power conditioner. I have had the best luck with Shunyata, Synergistic, Ansuz.

Dunc69

Sep 5, 2021
I also have the apex vivaldi dac and upsampler, no clock as yet.
I use mosaic through ethernet into a phoenixnet switch before it goes to the upsampler, this sounds great and was better than using a roon nucleus.
I also have a cisco switch doing the main switching in another room.
Having heard the talco extreme a few times, I would say, yes it's nice, but it would be the last bit of gear I would add, I would certainly max out everything else first

backpacker96

Apr 5, 2023
I use Rossini player and NUC10i7 Roon Rock via Ethernet.and I have a HIFI switch (LHY SW-8). The sound quality is comparable to CD, but obviously still worse than CD.

Last edited:

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Hi Brian,

I'll wade in here. I seem to like streaming best off the USB thumb drive into the Upsampler. And use dCS Mosaic to control it. These thumb drives are pretty high storage capacity now. It's this is a low priced way, that I think sounds best. You an also hear different makes of thumb drives, I like the Sandisk Extreme pro the best. I also have a Synology NAS array attached via ether link. It's a pretty good option to. (but I tend to think the USB has more transparency.) I have Roon core and a UPnP server (& Minum) running on linux on the NAS drive. So no other processors. I do seem to like Mosaic better than Roon, but love Roon for casual listening due to the interface.

Hope you're doing well ! Let me know if you ever make it to Austin !

Dunc69

Sep 5, 2021
Just to add, I have found roon slightly less dynamic and closed in sounding to qobuz, when compared to streaming the same track either using a roon nucleus against using the dCS streamer in the vivaldi upsampler.

Don't know how the streaming part compares in the vivaldi upsampler against say the taiko, or say a pink faun.

1Biblestudy#

Feb 26, 2022

Thanks,

Brian

1Biblestudy#

Feb 26, 2022
Hi,have 3/4 Vivaldi stack,went with Synergistic Research ethernet switch, going with Innous Zenith Mk3 step up the digital ladder without breaking the bank,over the Roon NUCLEUS. It has been taking potshots since I hit the $250,00 range.Crushed wallet, just entertaining ideas on ethernet cables,then that's it

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing