David Karmeli's Natural Sound in Utah

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Beautiful write-up Peter. Having been to David's, i can relate to what you experienced there. Well done!

Reactions: ddk

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
What an informative and beautifully-written report, Peter! Your passion for music and for the hobby, and your appreciation for David's time with you, come through very enthusiastically!

Thank you!

rando

Sep 22, 2019
Peter, allow me to offer congratulation on the new TT.

As well for the invigorating conversation over these last few days this purchase has given life to. One that had exactly the right amount of voices taking part. This larger depiction your voyage of discovery is less challenging of choices on the horizon.

Look forward to chance of reading about a mountaintop sunset in a handful of years.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Thank you Peter for visiting and the great writeup! I needed a reason to start putting the systems back together since the renovation earlier last year. Unfortunately the volume and dynamics seem to have been too much for the little phone mic and I hear the compression in the videos, but it's all good.

david

Last edited:

Hieukm

Oct 2, 2016
This is inspirational stuff. We have much to learn from this experience. Thank you Peter for such a comprehensive report. As always your writting is crystal clear and on point. The videos for demonstrations are simply icing on the cake. Truly wonderful.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Sounds like a wonderful experience - sad I didn’t realize when visiting Bryce last winter that David lived in Cedar City, not Carson City. Would have enjoyed hearing the big guys.

Bryce Point is pretty special in the snow!

Reactions: tima and ddk

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Thank you Peter for visiting and the great writeup! I needed a reason to start putting the systems back together since the renovation earlier last year. Unfortunately the volume and dynamics seem to have been too much for the little phone mic and I hear the compression in the videos, but it's all good.

david

David, the pleasure was all mine. I am sorry I couldn't stay longer to help you move more stuff around. Yes, the videos don't really do justice to your incredible systems, but I do hear indications of the huge amounts of information coming through the speakers. The recording venue cues do come through, even on the Vitavox pulled out into the room without the room gain from corner placement. The systems were so clean and undistorted, that we listened pretty loudly. Perhaps it was just too much for the phone mic. Regardless, people can still get a sense of the magic, IMO. Perhaps Ron will revisit one day with his fancy recording gear.

Vienna

VIP/Donor
what an amazing experience and report.
Congratulations once again on your excellent tt and kudos to David for his passion.

Holli82

Jun 6, 2010
WOW!!!

Ovenmitt

Nov 21, 2017
Really nice write-up Peter.... it sounds like you and David some fun! I’m envious, I’d sure like to hear those big horns someday.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
After breakfast, we drove to Home Depot and bought four large sheets of 5/8” sheet rock and a bunch of screws. We located the studs and screwed the new sheets in the corners to add mass to the walls where the Vitavox speakers were located.

Guy comes to visit David and listen to speakers. The room couldn't do justice to the gorgeous looking CN-191's. But the guy wants to hear them. So off you go to Home Depot for dry wall and then just screw it onto the corners.

Audiophiles Don't you just love 'em. :)

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Reactions: PeterA

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I liked the Holst Savitri best on both the VITAVOX and the BIONOR .
Slight edge goes to the VITAVOX .
I m tempted to try Lamm in my system ,i would also like to know how those Set amps would control the speakers .
I could see myself end up trying lamm , CH precision .
But to give a good conclusion of the brands it would need to be the whole system , pre / power .
Pre amps are the hardest to get right for a brand imo.
There is a LAMM ml 2 pair for sale at the moment for a nice price in NL , but i bought some more gold / silver stocks instead :p ..
The Bionors with the larger membrane surface/ air displacement might indeed overload the phone mic. a bit at some instances

Last edited:
Reactions: PeterA

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Great write up Peter, Ked has nothing on you, and i am sure David enjoyed actually listening to complete records instead of snippets on repeat ! ;)

dwhistance

Feb 15, 2019
Very interesting and inspirational write up. I think I'd really like DDK's systems! The big takeaway for me was your references to "natural" sound rather than the more typical "stygian bass and airy highs".

I stepped away from the "audiophile"path 20 years ago when my "high end" system at the time made most of my lp's sound poor. Frustrated with only ever playing the same few boring reference tracks I sold the lot and took a ten year break. Rebuilding I have concentrated on retaining what I thought of as a "musical" presentation though I think "natural" fits just as well and find that I'm enjoying listening again.

David Whistance

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
@ddk

David, wrt the electronics... all Lamm?

In what Peter calls the 'small room', there are the ML2s. And I think I see an L2 or L2.1 preamp and the LP1 Sig phono stage on the racks.

In the large room, there are the ML3s and ML2s. Preamp is the LL1 or LL1.1 Sig and phono is the LP2 or 2.1? Phono and control units on a Nothing Rack?

Is that close?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing