David Karmeli’s Bionor/Lamm/AS-2000 Audio System

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Wrt the Klangfilm Euronor / Bionor I am truly curious what is the best sub match since the bass is horn loaded in upper range and essentially open baffle below, unlike VOTT which is bass reflex below ( again horn loaded only through mid bass ). I did hear a hybrid Klangfilm system with a very large FLH from Philips that was interesting...

The upper range fires forward without a rear wave/panel thing, the midwoofer does have a rear wave that uses the panels to beef p the midbass, so Leif is right that adding a BR would add another step not in line.

with VOTT, especially 817, everything till almost 100 hz is horn loaded and front firing, and even below that is front firing. It leads to a 2-way, first order, phase coherent, time aligned speaker.

MarcelNL

Mar 15, 2021
Oh I see. You meant the horns dropping off below 50 Hz, not the subs. That wasn't clear to me from the context.
sorry if I was not clear on that!

I agree with what others said, FLH are IMO the way to go when attempting to extend the low end of the Bionor as matching 'speed' is almost impossible.
I may not have the space required to do that in the 'final' build, yet I'm likely going to have some Tesla drivers converted to FC in the process.

Reactions: Al M.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
The upper range fires forward without a rear wave/panel thing, the midwoofer does have a rear wave that uses the panels to beef p the midbass,

I am confused about this. I think David has a fabric cover enclosing the rear of the entire Eurodyne driver structure.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I am confused about this. I think David has a fabric cover enclosing the rear of the entire Eurodyne driver structure.

fabric won’t stop the rear wave. It might reduce it. David’s walls are very far back from his panel. Tang’s are closer. Tang also has some panels on the front wall. This will all change things. The Paris bionor is closer and seems to be getting good reinforcement in the weight region as I preferred his weight though I can’t say if it is due to wall, electronics (all top Kondo), or, of course cables.

Reactions: jeff1225

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
With VOTT, especially 817, everything till almost 100 hz is horn loaded and front firing, and even below that is front firing. It leads to a 2-way, first order, phase coherent, time aligned speaker.
I like the VOTT a lot, so I am merely taking an academic response here...even if the BR is front ported the pathways for front wave and rear are not identical and rear or front at below 80hz is starting to split hairs. Or maybe I need to re read some fundamentals.

Reactions: bonzo75

MarcelNL

Mar 15, 2021
The facbric is like cloth used for sails, some cover and some of it is acoustical IMO.

The full description is probably lacking yet the function is real...listen and learn

MarcelNL

Mar 15, 2021

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
What are you guys so defensive about? I really don't understand. . .

You guys are seriously contending that a fabric cover directly covering and enclosing loudspeaker drivers doesn't significantly attenuate air flow?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

You guys are seriously contending that a fabric cover directly covering and enclosing loudspeaker drivers doesn't significantly attenuate air flow?
? Who is defensive? It is part of the design that the panels are to stop the rear wave that comes back to beef up the weight. That's why on their website you will see certain specs for the width of the panels. Sure , you could have them without but that would be a different speaker. If they wanted to completely kill the rear wave, they would have closed the back with a wood cover. try putting a fabric on the front of your speaker and see what happens.

MarcelNL

Mar 15, 2021

I'm not sure who is defensive about what?

fabric may significantly attanuate air flow, yet I doubt how much impact it can have on sound

Reactions: lordcloud
Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway

slightly misunderstood Ron?
it´s the rear of the driver that´s covered, not the direct radiating from front.....
significantly takes some serious dense and heavy fabric........

Reactions: lordcloud

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
slightly misunderstood Ron?
it´s the rear of the driver that´s covered, not the direct radiating from front.....
significantly takes some serious dense and heavy fabric........

Yes, I completely understand that is the rear of the Eurodyn driver structure that is covered. It seemed to me to be a fairly dense and heavy fabric. Very little sound is escaping that cover, I believe.

MarcelNL

Mar 15, 2021
Yes, I completely understand that is the rear of the Eurodyn driver structure that is covered. It seemed to me to be a fairly dense and heavy fabric. Very little sound is escaping that cover, I believe.
I have heard the original 'segeltuch' cover in place on the giant Euronor Junior at BAM! There is plenty of sound coming through it.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing