DaVa FC-A1 a field coil contender

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Reactions: Hifi man

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
This is a video of the DaVa on the Garrard with groove master playing some piano and sax from Dave Brubeck. It is still on standard PSU and SUT with not enough gain, both of which are to be upgraded. Still sounds great

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
This is a video of the DaVa on the Garrard with groove master playing some piano and sax from Dave Brubeck. It is still on standard PSU and SUT with not enough gain, both of which are to be upgraded. Still sounds great

The sound is very organic. Must be the iPhone as Ked said. :D

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Just had text from Darius - my DaVa is coming next week :)

I saw a photo on Facebook of an interesting new prototype power supply he is also considering with EY500:

FBDFFF6D-1C84-4B31-BF21-33857004C9BA.jpeg

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
my friend was here y-day with his tube supply design, but we had no time to test......ordered special 100v centertapped powertransformer from manufacturer in UK y-day...rest of tube supply parts are already inhouse :cool:

thought of mounting 2 dc outputs with selector switch for future mono DaVa in separate arm

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
my friend was here y-day with his tube supply design, but we had no time to test......ordered special 100v centertapped powertransformer from manufacturer in UK y-day...rest of tube supply parts are already inhouse :cool:

Oh nice. When will you be testing that one, Leif? I think Ked will demand videos with ss then tubes power supplies lol.

Agrail

Nov 26, 2019
Looks like a nice cartridge - I see there's a copper bodied one now too. For those that have one, has anyone noticed a change in tracking / bias with the leads running up the arm tube and over the bearing? Anyone tried a battery power supply? I have a Kondo IO Ltd and the cables that came with it were rather stiff which made me wonder about a possible negative effect on the arms ability in terms of tracking & bias. The early Kondo power supply is OK but the battery power supply a friend put together offers an effortlessness the Kondo supply can't match.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Looks like a nice cartridge - I see there's a copper bodied one now too. For those that have one, has anyone noticed a change in tracking / bias with the leads running up the arm tube and over the bearing? Anyone tried a battery power supply? I have a Kondo IO Ltd and the cables that came with it were rather stiff which made me wonder about a possible negative effect on the arms ability in terms of tracking & bias. The early Kondo power supply is OK but the battery power supply a friend put together offers an effortlessness the Kondo supply can't match.

Hi,

The copper bodied one isn’t available until 2021.

I get mine later this week but am very focused on your specific question actually since I run an air LT and it will be very sensitive to this indeed.

Leif uses the Groovemaster and has had no issues afaik. He is loving the DaVa. Stefano B (twogoodears) uses one on his idlers too and loves it.

Do you have any info on the battery supply at all? I would like to make myself one up - sounds a good idea to try.

Darius has several supplies available right now both ss and tube. He prefers the latest iteration of tube supplies when I last texted.

Best.

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
the main difference with the Kondo fc and the DaVa is that the Kondo is 1,2 vdc and the DaVa between 10 and 13vdc
just to get piece of mind I´ll try the 12v mc battery I´ve got in my garage before I hook up the new tube rectified psu

Reactions: Audiophile Bill

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I have heard Kondo IO many times. It is boring like their electronics. The old audio note IO Ltd is actually a good field coil cartridge

Agrail

Nov 26, 2019
I have heard Kondo IO many times. It is boring like their electronics. The old audio note IO Ltd is actually a good field coil cartridge
When Guy. S came over to play with power supplies it was fun to play with the two IO Ltds with battery and kondo power supplies.
Mine is a late 80's Kondo, Guy's was rebuilt by AN UK... differing cantilever materials. I wouldn't describe either as particularly boring in comparison to a Koetsu Coralstone or an Etsuro i'd peg the IO Ltd as being closest to the master, thats not to denegrate the other carts I like their attributes very much too. Guy is an interesting chap to talk to re field coil cartridges as you may know Peter Q sent him over to Japan to learn how to make the IO's with Kondo in the 80's.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
When Guy. S came over to play with power supplies it was fun to play with the two IO Ltds with battery and kondo power supplies.
Mine is a late 80's Kondo, Guy's was rebuilt by AN UK... differing cantilever materials. I wouldn't describe either as particularly boring in comparison to a Koetsu Coralstone or an Etsuro i'd peg the IO Ltd as being closest to the master, thats not to denegrate the other carts I like their attributes very much too. Guy is an interesting chap to talk to re field coil cartridges as you may know Peter Q sent him over to Japan to learn how to make the IO's with Kondo in the 80's.

Coralstone is boring, with or without diamond. I like koetsu the least. I have heard Guy's AN IO. I actually like his etsuro Bordeaux. But the AN IO I heard play well was in Italy, at Gian's friend's place.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
So my DaVa arrived :)
33D89A0E-A0FC-4B9B-9702-2D42B5DE6FA4.jpeg
762B6634-9546-4D1D-82CB-FA3AFE4936B4.jpeg

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Nice box!
My mum from Baltic States, she was very pretty, but a hard taskmaster...good luck Lol.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
D14A4305-5504-43AC-AC44-9692C979EC2B.jpeg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing