DaVa FC-A1 a field coil contender

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
The Ikeda IT-407 silver wired is VERY articulate and has fantastic control on DaVa tracking and space is deeeep in full width
nothing like my previous experience with FR
Kool- Darius claims FR will work well with his cartridge.

I had a mediocre experience with Ikeda in the past- but there may have been other reasons for that.

The new silver wire and ceramic bearing overhaul of the FR66s was transformational - we'll see!

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
Kool- Darius claims FR will work well with his cartridge.

I had a mediocre experience with Ikeda in the past- but there may have been other reasons for that.

The new silver wire and ceramic bearing overhaul of the FR66s was transformational - we'll see!
Very cool
The DaVa is a fantastic cart in case anyone didn't get it :D

Reactions: Kcin
Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
hooked up the DaVa A1 in Ikeda headshell/Audiosilente silver wires on the Groovemaster with The Peak Litz cu armcable to Supex SDT-1000 SUT and on to riaa via AN silver interconnects....sounds very good and the Supex seems a great match

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
hooked up the DaVa A1 in Ikeda headshell/Audiosilente silver wires on the Groovemaster with The Peak Litz cu armcable to Supex SDT-1000 SUT and on to riaa via AN silver interconnects....sounds very good and the Supex seems a great match
Hi what SUTs do you usually use?

What is the gain of your RIAA. Thanks.

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
I normally use custom DaVa cu SUT x50 for both mono and Reference, but since I cannot get another DaVa SUT now I tested the Supex
Riaa is about 46db ..Thorsten Loesch LCR design with custom Borderpatrol designed LCLC psu

Last edited:

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
How would you rate the groovemaster against ikeda for dava ref?

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
a tricky one:
on very complex passages, the IKEDA seems to have better control and tighter lo end
however the Groovemaster is no slouch, but might be a tad more forgiving
I also prefer the VTA rotary lift to the IKEDA vta base
when you compare prices, I don´t think you´ll do very wrong with the Groovemaster

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I preferred the ikeda to groovemaster at Montesquieu on SPU on all fronts. Mainly the authority, weight, and mids tone

it also blew away the Thales simplicity with zyx uni 1 on the Feickert Firebird

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
I´m A/B ing A1 and Ref setups now, and if I hadn´t the Ref/Ikeda combo avail, I would be totally happy with A1 in Groovemaster, but I do.... :D
using Sheffield Labs; Romeo and Juliet for comparison

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
@Mike Lavigne ...any development in DaVa sound lately...you should have some hours on the cart and psu by now?
very busy at work and home the last few weeks, 2+ feet of snow at home and helping my wife (get ready for Christmas and final stages of remodel activities), now traveling for business this last week to Cabo San Lucas, flying home today. not much vinyl listening for awhile. prior to that the Saskia/Tosca/DaVa was sharing equal time with my other 2 carts and have been enjoying it thoroughly. any 'warts' it might have had initially are long gone.

when i return and take a breath will get into more specifics. delighted in every way with the DaVa.

acg

Dec 25, 2013
Am considering a custom 6 wire Korf 11" tonearm for my DaVa when it arrives.

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
Finally got back to the DaVa this past week .

I solved about 80% of my hum problem. No matter how experienced you think you are. Hum and grounding is a real pain.

I have tried 3 SUTs with so far one clear winner in my system and a real unusual player in the extra cables from SUT back to my passive Silver Slagle autoformer.

More work to do - but - with the right combo- what a ton of work - I don't enjoy- I can begin to hear this DaVa as intended.

News on the SUT front; pictured is the All new Allnic silver SUT with variable gain and loading in form factor much larger than their previous SUT. My distributor/enabler- says they are discontinuing their AUT2000 in copper and are only going to manufacture this form factor in silver.

I will try it in short order.

In the meantime, I have further theories on the hum and I will be attacking that further after my trial with the Kuzma saphire ends ---- one way or another o_O

Attachments

• IMG_2310.jpg
    IMG_2310.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_2304 (1).jpg
    IMG_2304 (1).jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 39

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
Darius has just let me know that my cart is ready for shipping!

Persve

Nov 8, 2015
Sweden
Merry Christmas to all DaVa-friends!

Attachments

• 6CD0A1EA-D88B-4A6D-89EC-6BC5EED36694.jpeg
    6CD0A1EA-D88B-4A6D-89EC-6BC5EED36694.jpeg
    125.7 KB · Views: 25

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing