DAC decision: Lampizator Pacific vs TotalDac Balanced Output Options

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
Balanced challenges aside, I have heard the TotalDAC TD 12 and the Lampizator Pacific but not in the same system. However I've heard several DACs in each system and I believe enough to make a comparison.

The TotalDAC units are slightly warm sounding without sacrificing detail and airiness. The Pacific is a very warm sounding DAC; it's the kind of DAC that makes singers sound like they gained 40 lbs reflected in their extra - hefty voice. When the owner switched from his MSB to the Pacific it took all of 10 seconds of comparative listening to request he go back to the MSB (another very good DAC).

If you value tonal accuracy with just a hint of warmth the TotalDAC fits your needs. If you want something very warm and IMO unnatural then the Pacific is for you.

Hello everyone. I saw some nasty comments directed toward sbo6's post. This is a bit unfair. In his post he is referring to the Pacific and MSB that he heard in my system. When he listened I had the EAT 300B's (along with the 5U4G) in the Pacific. His assessment is correct in that that particular tube gives a VERY full and rich sound. Pretty euphoric on female vocals to me but not to everyone's taste. sbo6's comment about un-natural is true in that it is a colored (un-natural) sound. But still sounds good with a glass of wine and your favorite female singer.

I recently (this weekend) switched back to the PX25 tube. Of course it leaned out the sound a good bit and still retains a lot of richness to vocals without so much "bloat" (so to speak). That is really the point of the Pacific -- you can really tailor the sound to your liking by changing out the tubes.

I still like my MSB dac and still listen to it frequently. Sometimes I think of upgrading to the Reference or Select or maybe something else but then I think what is really missing from my current presentation? Hard for me to point at something specific and say "I would like more of that please".

dorch

Apr 8, 2020
TotalDac have always given me a great deal on upgrades. They have a really good upgrade guarantee

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
Hello everyone. I saw some nasty comments directed toward sbo6's post. This is a bit unfair. In his post he is referring to the Pacific and MSB that he heard in my system. When he listened I had the EAT 300B's (along with the 5U4G) in the Pacific. His assessment is correct in that that particular tube gives a VERY full and rich sound. Pretty euphoric on female vocals to me but not to everyone's taste. sbo6's comment about un-natural is true in that it is a colored (un-natural) sound. But still sounds good with a glass of wine and your favorite female singer.

I recently (this weekend) switched back to the PX25 tube. Of course it leaned out the sound a good bit and still retains a lot of richness to vocals without so much "bloat" (so to speak). That is really the point of the Pacific -- you can really tailor the sound to your liking by changing out the tubes.

I still like my MSB dac and still listen to it frequently. Sometimes I think of upgrading to the Reference or Select or maybe something else but then I think what is really missing from my current presentation? Hard for me to point at something specific and say "I would like more of that please".
Thanks. God forbid someone provides honest feedback against the Lampi cult ;-)

Reactions: Scott Naylor

rau

Aug 6, 2015
Wisconsin
It's all about what ones happy with and system dependent. I owned the Totaldac Twelve and heard the MSB . I currently own the Pacfic and have the Horizon on way , I personally would not trade it for either .

Last edited:

cmarin

VIP/Donor
Jul 16, 2011
Texas
It's all about what ones happy with and system dependent. I owned the Totaldac Twelve and heard the MSB . I currently own the Pacfic and have the Horizon on way , I personally would not trade it for either .
Personal preferences are absolutely valid.

But as we all know, sound quality is so system depended and subject to individual listening tastes that it’s hard to generalize.

Hell, even within the same system and same listener, a change in just one part of the system unrelated to the component in question - e.g., speaker position or tubes - can make a big difference in the optimal performance of the component of concern.

So at least for me, unless I’ve done extensive in-room comparison optimizing both components before listening, I try to not be too rigid or dogmatic about making absolute comparisons between what are otherwise well regarded components.

Last edited:
Reactions: zitas and ctydwn

Crashem

Dec 21, 2015
Thanks. God forbid someone provides honest feedback against the Lampi cult ;-)
I think the problem was your original statement seemed highly misleading especially said in the definitive tone you used. It would have been more helpful and informative if you had added in qualifiers/details such as the tubes (EAT 300b) you heard it with and that other tubes might make it sound differently (and if you know lampis, you would know that it does).

As someone who has had more than one lampi and probably close to dozen other dacs, your description of the pacific as overly warm seemed inaccurate. Now if you had described your experience with lampi GG as being “warm,” that would have felt closer to the truth. Pacific was known to be noticeably and generally less “warm“ than the GG. So I think others with experience with lampis were highly surprised at your comments.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I think the problem was your original statement seemed highly misleading especially said in the definitive tone you used. It would have been more helpful and informative if you had added in qualifiers/details such as the tubes (EAT 300b) you heard it with and that other tubes might make it sound differently (and if you know lampis, you would know that it does).

As someone who has had more than one lampi and probably close to dozen other dacs, your description of the pacific as overly warm seemed inaccurate. Now if you had described your experience with lampi GG as being “warm,” that would have felt closer to the truth. Pacific was known to be noticeably and generally less “warm“ than the GG. So I think others with experience with lampis were highly surprised at your comments.

Not really, both can be made warm or neutral depending on tubes used. The key thing is anyone who has been around a few Lampi threads should know that Lampi can only be auditioned with tube rolls

Reactions: lordcloud

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX

My original statement was my opinion, as such it can't be misleading - it is what I heard. That said, there are those that are incredibly sensitive when it comes to Lampi in particular, as if the opinions are a personal attack. It's gear folks, you don't own stock in the company nor did you design it. Take it for what it's worth and move on or get thicker skin, but please don't tell me (or others) how to curb our opinions.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing