Crackle in the left channel of my Gryphon Colosseum

rando

Sep 22, 2019
I didn’t think FedEx would pick up and deliver a 175lb package. Isn’t it way over their weight limit?

You'd be surprised how many 200 lb desks they had to deliver during peak rush of work at home transition. Forewarned is forearmed.

I would think the shipping container needs to be strapped to a pallet and then it would have to be transported down to the street because I don’t think the drivers will pull it out of a house.

Adding to the solid information Lloyd offered.

It sounds like you might want to look at a facilitator who takes care of delivery to Fedex. Overly common arrangement these days given the outsized growth in home delivery and decline in business or otherwise pickup. You might need to work the phones or send a few emails to find the right one.

LarryK

Jan 27, 2018
You'd be surprised how many 200 lb desks they had to deliver during peak rush of work at home transition. Forewarned is forearmed.

Adding to the solid information Lloyd offered.

It sounds like you might want to look at a facilitator who takes care of delivery to Fedex. Overly common arrangement these days given the outsized growth in home delivery and decline in business or otherwise pickup. You might need to work the phones or send a few emails to find the right one.

I bought a couple of standing desks during the pandemic but they didn’t come close to 200lbs. Still, if 200lb desks let us ship our 200lb amplifiers, I’m all for it.

I once rescued a Sumo Gold, a 90lb class A amplifier, from a pawn shop on eBay. The pawn shop packed it in single layer of cardboard with peanuts. The thing arrive in terrible shape but somehow survived. I fashioned a double box for it and sent it out for rebuild immediately.

Reactions: rando

rando

Sep 22, 2019
@LarryK

I only made comment because it appeared you wished to avoid another hip surgery. For the return trip you might consider one of these to get it back into place.

Holli82

Jun 6, 2010
@LarryK

I only made comment because it appeared you wished to avoid another hip surgery. For the return trip you might consider one of these to get it back into place.

This is my "go to" method for moving speakers, amps and anything heavy

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
usually the crackling is a switch, controller or relay. i think gryphon has a protection circuit against short circuit or overheating. These relays would be my first guess as to where to look.
probably not audio circuit but in power supply in the channel

LarryK

Jan 27, 2018
usually the crackling is a switch, controller or relay. i think gryphon has a protection circuit against short circuit or overheating. These relays would be my first guess as to where to look.
probably not audio circuit but in power supply in the channel
Three years ago, there was some power supply box that failed causing the amp to not turn on. The crackle is different. Thanks for bringing up some possibilities.

Reactions: DasguteOhr

Bobalob

Mar 25, 2011
I've thought about using piano removal firm should the need ever arise. I was impressed by how well they transported a piano we sold so a Gryphon amp should be no problem and they are used to handling with care

LarryK

Jan 27, 2018
I've thought about using piano removal firm should the need ever arise. I was impressed by how well they transported a piano we sold so a Gryphon amp should be no problem and they are used to handling with care
My friends at Princeton Piano did a great job delivering my Yamaha DYUS5 but I have a feeling that their insurance would not let them carry expensive electronic gear but I could ask.

LarryK

Jan 27, 2018
My piano movers were not interested in moving the amp.

I’m in a quandary about what I should do to get my Colosseum to Soundsmith. Should I wait for December and carry it in my car?

I’ve spoken with a freight agent and I would have to strap the shipping container to a pallet. I’d have to get a pallet and a strap gun, or whatever that is called, plus I’d have to get the thing down the driveway.

If I carry it in my car I still have to find someone to help load it, without the shipping container.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Have you spoken with FedEx? We have used them 3 times FedEx Economy to ship 3 different Gryphon amps (all internationally)...it was not a big deal for them at all each time.

LarryK

Jan 27, 2018
Have you spoken with FedEx? We have used them 3 times FedEx Economy to ship 3 different Gryphon amps (all internationally)...it was not a big deal for them at all each time.
I was told by the piano mover

“if it is over 150 pounds u have to LTL freight it. ups and fed ex are not bad might pay to check freightcenter.com

LTL - less than truck load
so I have been working through Freight Center but will call FedEx

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Great

LarryK

Jan 27, 2018
Well, I’ve decided to try to take the amplifier in my car and not ship it. I have struck a deal with my former weightlifting coach to load and unload the amp in exchange for some plyo boxes. My jumping days are now behind me, lol.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Well, I’ve decided to try to take the amplifier in my car and not ship it. I have struck a deal with my former weightlifting coach to load and unload the amp in exchange for some plyo boxes. My jumping days are now behind me, lol.
One step forward! When will you be traveling up to drop it off? Will they take the amp out of your car on the other side?

LarryK

Jan 27, 2018
One step forward! When will you be traveling up to drop it off? Will they take the amp out of your car on the other side?
Let’s hope I can pull off the loading this time around! The plan is to load it at 6am, sometime in December, and then drive eight hours so I’ll make it to the repair shop during normal business hours. Yes, they’ll help unload it. They’ve done it before. I will clear it with them next week.

LarryK

Jan 27, 2018
I delivered the Colosseum to the nice folks at Soundsmith so it can be repaired.

Here is a picture of the amplifier belted into my back seat. It was not easy getting the amplifier into the back seat. Luckily, my weightlifting coach helped me get the thing in there.

The weather on the trip was bad, with rain, sleet, and snow, but I made it. Thank goodness for all-wheel drive.

I also dropped of my turntable to be worked on. The Pandora preamp has a balanced phono input with Lemo connectors. They’re going to have to figure out how to get the phono cartridge to work without there being hum. Perhaps I bought the wrong phono cartridge a few years ago.

Anyway, the preamp, amplifier, and turntable are all at Soundsmith now it can be worked on. I will wait patiently for the day when I can retrieve my gear.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Best wishes!

LarryK

Jan 27, 2018
Well, I believe work has started on my amplifier but now I am struggling with hip pain ten months after hip replacement surgery. I’m trying not to think of what that could mean. I’m afraid of the word “revision.”

Perhaps we should not buy amplifiers we cannot lift or move, lol. Nah, what fun is that? My piano weighs 500lbs and I don’t regret buying that.

Anyway, I’m now contemplating whether I’m going to have to ship my empty shipping container to Soundsmith in order get the amplifier back. It’s complicated because that also means I’d have to ship my turntable and the Pandora back.

Maybe I’ll luck out and will be able to make the trip to fetch everything.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing