Counterpoint NP220s

E9Guy

Jun 28, 2019
I need help guys,

Amp is now making a loud buzz through the speakers. No relationship to volume from the preamp. I had to immediately shut it off for fear of speaker damage. It was playing perfectly fine a moment before. Any ideas?

Ironically I was just about to list it for sale.
Update,
Blown fuse in

E9Guy

Jun 28, 2019
Fuse 2 looks to be blown. Any idea as to what would cause that? Is it safe to turn it back on after the fuse is replaced?

johnsonlwu

Apr 26, 2015
Recently got 2 parts amps in their respective sorry state SA220 and NP220.
The NP220 required pretty much a total rebuild. After hours and hours replacing broken parts, putting in missing parts, and repairing broken traces it's happily singing again!

Attachments

• IMG_0041.jpg
    IMG_0041.jpg
    804.8 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0238.jpg
    IMG_0238.jpg
    870.5 KB · Views: 27
  • Wow
Reactions: E9Guy

johnsonlwu

Apr 26, 2015
Seems like there are more NP220s in the used market recently. Most of them badly molested by “techs” who think they know what they’re doing and end up blowing every fuse every transistor and frying traces on the motherboard. Here’s an example of one that a friend bought as parts and landed on my bench for rework. I just say servicing these without lifting the motherboard is like nano surgery. All’s good now.

Attachments

• 52E7C250-23E5-467B-A118-D474C6621F99.jpeg
    52E7C250-23E5-467B-A118-D474C6621F99.jpeg
    927.6 KB · Views: 21
Reactions: Scott Naylor

trombonist

Jun 27, 2019
Seems like there are more NP220s in the used market recently. Most of them badly molested by “techs” who think they know what they’re doing and end up blowing every fuse every transistor and frying traces on the motherboard. Here’s an example of one that a friend bought as parts and landed on my bench for rework. I just say servicing these without lifting the motherboard is like nano surgery. All’s good now.
How do I know what level of work was done to my NPS 400?
This original owner indicated this was one of a "last batch" from Counterpoint 1996 .. although I see designations of "NPS 400 a" etc ..

It does have the square transformer in it .. I have upgraded both sets of tubes from the Michigan tube guy and a new set of HiFi Tuning fuses .. all made a nice improvement (the BIG improvement came w/ a pair of Dale Pitcher (r.i.p.) balanced Input cables and a combo his Basic speaker wires in bi-wire!)

johnsonlwu

Apr 26, 2015
a means North America that’s it
If it has a few round transistors right next to the 6922 then it’s stick
if those are removed and you see some black Mills MRA12 27knor 33k resistors that’s upgraded.
i have serviced over 10 NPS series and owned and still own 2 NpS400 and 2 nps200 and I’ve never seen 2 Alta vista units identical.

Reactions: Frazuli

Frazuli

Sep 28, 2022
a means North America that’s it
If it has a few round transistors right next to the 6922 then it’s stick
if those are removed and you see some black Mills MRA12 27knor 33k resistors that’s upgraded.
i have serviced over 10 NPS series and owned and still own 2 NpS400 and 2 nps200 and I’ve never seen 2 Alta vista units identical.
I have an Np 200 Basic. The work was performed by Michael Elliot back around 1993? It was in constant use until around 2008 when I took it out of service due to life changes. When I turned it on in 2018 it made some buzzing noise. I pulled the tubes and tested them with a questionable tube tester. Then I had some more life changes. I’m now in a position to get the amp going again and cannot find my tubes. I’m pretty ignorant in electronics. I’m not even sure what tubes I need. After replacing the tubes I can check again to see if the unit is operating properly. I’m also interested in upgrades. Can you call me @ 5309413618, or text or email @ frazuli@yahoo.com? From reading the thread, I see that you’re in San Francisco. That is close enough to me and I travel there often. Can you help me?

johnsonlwu

Apr 26, 2015
There are several NPS200s in the market you might want to look into. They aren’t worth much so you may consider replacement vs fixing. I can certainly help you diagnose the problem, its likely a loose wire or bad cap somewhere. I m in Sunnyvale. don’t want to do upgrades cos there’s a world wide parts shortage (eg nichicon KX and KG gold tunes are mostly out of stock) I’m also not in the business of swapping a cap and a few resistors and charging people a fortune sprinkling fairy dust. The basic upgrade addressed a few sources of bad sound in the original amp. But it’s not worth dumping $ into
It. and the resale value of the amp is just not worth dumping $$$ into it.

Reactions: Frazuli

Frazuli

Sep 28, 2022
There are several NPS200s in the market you might want to look into. They aren’t worth much so you may consider replacement vs fixing. I can certainly help you diagnose the problem, its likely a loose wire or bad cap somewhere. I m in Sunnyvale. don’t want to do upgrades cos there’s a world wide parts shortage (eg nichicon KX and KG gold tunes are mostly out of stock) I’m also not in the business of swapping a cap and a few resistors and charging people a fortune sprinkling fairy dust. The basic upgrade addressed a few sources of bad sound in the original amp. But it’s not worth dumping $ into
It. and the resale value of the amp is just not worth dumping $$$ into it.
Thanks. And nice talking with you on the phone. I’ll give you updates when I make progress per your recommendations

Frazuli

Sep 28, 2022
Thanks. And nice talking with you on the phone. I’ll give you updates when I make progress per your recommendations
Also, just to correct the record, as per your verification during our phone conversation, my amp is an NP 220

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing