Cone break up , ... tweeter ringing ???

Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
As steve proposed a thread about .. cone break up .
First simply explained how the loudspeaker works .
The music signal is a varying alternating current/voltage , this creates a changing magnetic field in the voice coil .
Together with the permanent magnet in the speakerunit this is "" the motor"" of the membrane .
The voice coil gets attracted and distracted/reppeld to/from the permanent magnet.
A LS unit is optimised for a certain freq area in the case of a (metal )dome tweeter for example 2,5 khz -20 khz http://www.seas.no/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=76&Itemid=100
this graphic shows a metal dome with break up at around 20 -30 - 40 khz , metal can break up quite drastic but the units keep getting better , berylium is an example http://www.scan-speak.dk/datasheet/pdf/d3004-664000.pdf hardly any violent break up there
When a cone breaks up its not able to follow the music signal accurately anymore and starts to make uncontrolled swings .
Same goes for bass units(or mid units) made of hard materials / metal in this case aluminium , they can also break up quite drastic , example aluminium versus paper http://www.scan-speak.dk/datasheet/pdf/26w-4867t00.pdf

http://www.scan-speak.dk/datasheet/pdf/26w-8861t00.pdf

One way of dealing with that is to use higher order filters with steeper slopes , so to make the break ups "" more "" inaudible , another way is to use for example high quality paper units which break up more friendly in general and use simple filters (less phase problems )
Assuming though most people hear nothing higher than 20 khz , so whats the problem :D
Point is you dont want these break ups to be audible , this also the reason there is a specific unit made for a specific freq area .

This is the high freq unit i use at the moment ,smoother than berylium virtually no break up although it doesnt extend as much http://www.scan-speak.dk/datasheet/pdf/d3004-662000.pdf
These are reasons i stepped away from the use of hard materials in LS units.
or this one a ringradiator soft dome http://www.scan-speak.dk/datasheet/pdf/r3004-662000.pdf, although it has a little more break up its a soft dome also thus sounds different then a metal one , also quite extended

Last edited:

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 26, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I know my W/P 7 system used to suffer from the ringing. It would create listener fatigue where I could only master on them, without getting a headache, for a couple of hours. On the other hand, I also have Focal speakers with the berylium tweeters and can sit in from of the 10-12 hours doing Post movie work and still feel my ears are fresh.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 26, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
And what about the new alexias , i bet they are very listenable ??
I did 3 mastering sessions in one day and still went in after it was all over to just 'listen' to some more music. Priceless!!

DaveyF

Aug 1, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Bruce, what you say about the new tweeter in the Alexia's doesn't surprise me at all. IMO, the old Focal driver was exactly as you describe it, I couldn't listen to it for any length of time without getting listener fatigue. With a silk dome, that simply doesn't apply. Kudo's to Wilson for finally seeing the light ( or hearing the "ringing", LOL:D). I have to question why it took them so long to change though. I do think that in some ways they owe their old and loyal customer's an upgrade path to the new tweeter. At a price, retrofit should be accomplishable, IMO.

steve williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
At a price, retrofit should be accomplishable, IMO
You would think but I doubt it well ever happen.I wouldn't be surprised as well to see the X2 discontinued at some point in the product line much the same as the X-1 was with the release of the X2

DaveyF

Aug 1, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Steve, I wonder if enough owners of the old tweeter were to "suggest" or to "demand" to DW and his group that a retrofit be offered and to "suggest" that it could be PROFITABLE to accommodate such a retrofit; that maybe DW would relent and offer it. Just a thought;) Obviously enough owner's would have to desire the upgrade and a) make it worth DW's time and b) co-operate on the request ( probably a lot easier said than done, OTOH one never knows). BTW, are you listening Debby W, LOL.:D

steve williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I spoke to DW about that very issue when the speaker was shown initially as a static display at RMAF. I was told that due to changes in cabinet size as well as size of tweeter as well as different crossovers it wasn't doable

I do remember the X-1 Series V update before the X-1 was phased out

Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
But still wilson chose not to do it on the x2 , it uses a 1 inch soft dome or soft dome ringradiator at the back , scanspeak iirc .
Softdomes whether silk or not have been around a long looooong time.
So the X2 does have a soft dome already it might take over where the focal starts to get in trouble just under 20 khz, or just ambient i dont know.
Does the xlf has a ambient tw also ?? i ll look it up

Yes the xlf has 2 silkdomes both 1 inch , the ambienttweeter type on the x 2 is not mentioned on the site

Last edited:

j_j

Jun 26, 2013
In the Rain
home.comcast.net
You can make the crossover or the cutoff as sharp as you like digitally, just don't introduce pre-echo when you do it.

Unfortunately, that is not going to help you much, because if there is a strong resonance in a driver, harmonics generated by the nonlinearities in a driver (and there are lots) will excite the cone resonance anyhow.

And, yes, that's bad.

About us

• Founded in 2010 What's Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing