Come See & Hear Triode Wire Labs at the 2021 Capital AudioFest!!!

Triode Pete

Mar 1, 2016
Long Island, NY
www.triodewirelabs.com
Holy Cow, it's been a long year!!!

After the Florida Audio Show, AXPONA, Pacific Audio Fest, AXPONA again cancelled their audio shows, Triode Wire Labs is very happy to participating in the Capital Audio Fest, Washington DC's Premier High-End Audio Festival, November 5th - 7th, 2021 @ the Twinbrook Hilton, Rockville Maryland!

Come visit Triode Wire Labs in Room 316 with my normal "partners in audio crime", Volti Audio, featuring their flagship "Vittora" and new affordable "Razz" loudspeakers and BorderPatrol Audio, featuring their acclaimed sublime Control Unit, 300B amplifier and analogue sounding (Human Sounding) DAC! We will also be featuring an Innuos music server at the Capital AudioFest.

We will have many high-quality libations of your choosing from Single Malt Scotches, extraordinary Bourbons and of course, beer, water, soda & seltzers.

Cheers,
Pete

Reactions: Al M.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Yes, you guys -- your Triode Wire Labs, Volti and BorderPatrol -- for sure can put on a great show!

To me best sound at AXPONA 2017. Everything well sorted out.

All the Best at Capital Audio Fest!

• Love
Reactions: Triode Pete

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
,"The good lord willing and the creek don't rise. " CAF 2021 is a go!

Triode Pete

Mar 1, 2016
Long Island, NY
www.triodewirelabs.com
Just got back from CAF and saw this great feedback from Stereophile's Ken Micallef!

https://www.stereophile.com/content...nuos-border-patrol-triode-wire-labs-and-happy

Volti's New Rival Type II loudspeakers, plus Innuos, Border Patrol, Triode Wire Labs, and a Happy Hour Cocktail

When I walked into the Volti Audio/Border Patrol Audio/Triode Wire Labs’ room, Volti’s head honcho Greg Roberts said, “Ken, remove that mask.” I did as the man asked, as all present were vaccinated, and accepted a happy hour drink from Triode Wire Labs’ Pete Grzybowski. I saw Border Patrol’s Gary Dews smile, and knew I was with friends.

I use and have favorably reviewed these mens’ products. But that doesn’t stop me from marveling when I hear the exceptional sound this trio perpetually brings to shows.

Here at the Capital Audiofest, the complete system consisted of an iPhone streaming Qobuz to an Innous Zenith Zen MK3 Music Server through an Innous Phoenix USB reclocker to a Border Patrol DAC SE-I ($1075 for the base unit with either USB or S/PDIF (coax); $1575 for both USB and S/PDIF) and on to a Border Patrol P21EXD power amplifier ($14,900, 20Wpc push-pull with 300B tubes) which drove Greg Roberts’s new Volti Audio New Rival Type II loudspeakers ($11,500-$15,000/pair depending on finish), which have a rated sensitivity of 100dB/W/m into 6ohms. Cabling included Triode Wire Labs Spirit II interconnects ($399 for a 1m pair), Split Power and Data (that's its name) and Discrete USB cables ($399 each), American Speaker Cables (starting at $699/pair), and The Obsession ($1399) and Digital American ($499) power cords. Roberts’ Razz loudspeaker ($5900-6900/pr, 97dB) was on tap to be played for Friday.
Streaming a Nils Lofgren track unknown to me, the electric bass intro punched high and dug low, the system producing ample weight and power. Head shakingly good. The sound was fast, deep boweled, earth shaking. More than that, it sounded like music, like live sounds.

Realizing that I’m a drummer, Pete played Shelly Manne’s version of “Poinciana” from Shelly Manne and Jack Marshall’s Sounds Unheard Of! (Analogue Productions APR 3009). The Rivals are as fast as the dickens, and they need to be to stay up with Manne’s fevered artistry.

I checked back 20 minutes later to see if Pete would refill my drink, but I couldn’t get in the room. Every seat was taken.

Thanks, Ken!

Triode Pete

Mar 1, 2016
Long Island, NY
www.triodewirelabs.com
Some additional feedback from Michael Lavorgna's Twittering Machines...

https://twitteringmachines.com/caf-2021-volti-audio-border-patrol-triode-wire/

CAF 2021: Volti Audio & Border Patrol & Triode Wire Labs

Volti Audio and Border Patrol have shared a room each time I’ve visited the Capital Audiofest and they go together like peanut butter and bananas.

Featuring the easy to drive, 97dB sensitivity Volti Audio Razz Speakers ($5900 – $6900 depending on finish) powered by the Border Patrol P21 EXD Push/Pull 300B Stereo Amplifier (from $13,150) and the company’s DAC SE-I (starts at $1075 see review) handling the bits served from an Innous Zenith Zen MK3 and Phoenix USB reclocker combo with cabling from Triode Wire Labs, music was smooth, powerful, and rich, filling the room with effortless ease.

Fun fact: peanut butter and bananas are better for you than peanut butter and jelly.

Triode Pete

Mar 1, 2016
Long Island, NY
www.triodewirelabs.com
Some additional feedback from Part Time Audiophile... https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2021/11/18/volti-audio-borderpatrol-triode-wire-labs-innuos-caf-2021/

Volti Audio, BorderPatrol, Triode Wire Labs, Innuos | CAF 2021

Volti Audio, BorderPatrol, Triode Wire Labs exhibit something truly special and worthy of your undivided attention at Capital Audio Fest 2021.

The Story
by Eric Franklin Shook

This story goes back almost a year or more when Greg Roberts, founder of Volti Audio exchanged a few emails and phone calls about a new loudspeaker he had been working on that takes advantage of advanced CNC production technology to produce a new entry-level model into the Volti Audio stable of products.

What’s most shocking about this project was the completely affordable price, not just in high-end terms, but even when discussing mid-fi terms–this would still be a massive bargain. Do I have your attention yet?

The culmination of these conversations and picture sharing, lead to our unbridled excitement and urgency in acquiring a review pair. The speaker–the Volti Audio Razz–as reviewed by Marc Phillips (linked here) and a follow-up by Graig Neville (linked here).

The reason behind all this excitement for me is that I’ve been privy to all the sophisticated bespoke fun had with the likes of the Volti Rival SE (a $20K speaker) and on up to the Volti flagship Vittora (a $30K speaker). The new Razz arrived on the scene starting at just under $6K with a bevy of high-quality real wood veneer finishes available as standard or as optioned.

For once, someone with deep pockets, but really short arms–like myself–can partake in the Volti fun.

The new Razz is a hefty three-way floor-standing loudspeaker that features a 1-inch compression tweeter, a 2-inch outlet midrange horn driver, and 12? woofer. Frequencies are covered from 35 Hz – 20 kHz, with a rated sensitivity of 97 dB, and a suggested minimum power handling of 8 watts up to 80 watts, presented against a 6-Ohm impedance load.

The Sound
As it is written, so shall it be. “Have Fun!” on the Volti Audio banners that grace the stage of play. In years covering the Volti Audio exhibits with known associates in BorderPatrol and Triode Wire Labs, the fun was duly sophisticated and high-end audio appeal–a playground that for many might be out of reach. With the new Razz in play, the same fun nature of the larger and more costly Rival speakers was within reach.

Though, I know from several experiences the more you spend with Volti, the more you get–see the Rival and Rival SE–but it must be said that lessons learned inform the future, and the new Razz is that future. It plays hella deep and prodigious, while handling mids and highs like the Volti of yore.

At the price, it’s one of those loudspeakers that I’d suggest everyone audition with an under $10K budget, and furthermore, consider the Razz as your B-Squad speaker of choice when your system and budget is already lingering in the tens of thousands of dollars range. The new Razz offers concert hall looks and style, while also being able to get down like it was in the nightclub.

Editorial Update
Wood-bender, sonic purist, and snake-whisperer Greg Roberts of Volti Audio showed three different speakers over the course of the show. First up was the Razz; then the Rival SE — the Rival with the “boat tail” cabinet — took a bow; finally, the new Rival Type II was introduced (shown here in a Red Gum veneer). The Type II — “the New Rival” — features the precision-cut CNC cabinet, with significantly improved internal bracing and an improved port. With the revision, the bass has been tuned and driver integration has been tweaked and improved. Triode Wire Labs provides the internal wiring, what was an upgrade and is now a standard feature in the New Rival — which is still $14,000/pair.

Vaccum tube alchemist and light-show enthusiast, Gary Dews of BorderPatrol, showed the push-pull version of his award-winning amps, featuring the single “standard” sized EXD tube-rectified/choke-input power supply. There are upgrade options that can add dual, “extra-massive”, external power supplies, and Ye Old Publisher swears that the difference is marked. Here, the amp featured the usual internal copper casework and extensive cryo treatments, yet there was a novel difference with the demo amp shown; this P21 was clad in a custom veneered plinth from Volti Audio. This apparently is a special order — if you buy a pair of loudspeakers from Volti, you can get a BorderPatrol amp dandied up to match. Pricing for that varies by option — inquiring minds are invited to inquire directly — but the aesthetic is lovely. Shown here with a quartet of 300b vacuum tubes from Living Voice UK (orderable through BorderPatrol).

Metallurgist and part-time swordsmith Pete Grzybowski of Triode Wire Labs brought the full loom (reviewed here) to the show. The Obsession is the result of a … well, obsessive level of concern over power delivery. Check out the chonky Furutech FI-50 NCF connectors on that bad boy. The Digital American power cords have some filtering capacities to help moderate the impact of blowback coming off of most digital sources (and those sources using less than immodest power supply designs. The American speaker cables and Spirit II interconnects all use some proprietary metallurgical blends that we don’t discuss in public. And if you want to see where purist approaches to digital signaling will take you, the dual-ended USB cables separate out digital data and power legs, while still providing an on-spec impedance.

Also in evidence, a Pi Audio UberBUSS for power distribution and taming. It’s a little black box that ought not to have quite the outsized impact that it does, and yet. The Three Amigos swear by this device.

Last but hardly least, Portuguese digital wizardry from Innuos appears in the form of the ZENith computer audio server, now featuring a vastly improved user interface. The server was paired with a Phoenix USB reclocker, featuring the overbuilt clocking coming down from their >$20k Statement (and statement-level) audio server. The two here make a very compelling case for improving the digital front-end of any system.

The System
Volti Audio Razz Speakers, starting at $6,900/pair
Volti Auido Rival Type II, $14,000/pair
BorderPatrol P21EXD Amplifier, starting at $13,150
BorderPatrol DAC SEi, starting at $1,450
Innuos ZENith server and Phoenix USB reclocker as the digital source
Triode Wire Labs “The Obsession”, Premium Audiophile power cords starting $1399 each
Triode Wire Labs “Digital American” starting at $499 each
Triode Wire Labs “American Speaker Cables”, starting at $699 per set
Triode Wire Labs “Spirit II” RCA interconnects, starting at $399/pr
Triode Wire Labs “Split Power & Data” USB cable, starting at $399 each

Thanks PTA Team!!!

Cheers,
Pete

Reactions: Steve Williams

Triode Pete

Mar 1, 2016
Long Island, NY
www.triodewirelabs.com
Best of Show Honors from Part Time Audiophile... https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2021/11/19/best-of-show-and-wrap-up-caf-2021/

Best of Show | CAF 2021

The Best Debuts (and Sound)

These exhibit rooms featured premiering product where the debuting component or speaker, made a sizable and justified impact on the system. Several of which also had some of the best sounding systems at the show.

Volti Audio, BorderPatrol, Triode Wire Labs, Innuos

This story goes back almost a year or more when Greg Roberts, founder of Volti Audio exchanged a few emails and phone calls about a new loudspeaker he had been working on that takes advantage of advanced CNC production technology to produce a new entry-level model into the Volti Audio stable of products. For once, someone with deep pockets, but really short arms–like myself–can partake in the Volti fun. (story above)

Thanks, Eric!

Cheers,
Pete

Reactions: Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Best of Show Honors from Part Time Audiophile... https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2021/11/19/best-of-show-and-wrap-up-caf-2021/

Best of Show | CAF 2021

The Best Debuts (and Sound)

These exhibit rooms featured premiering product where the debuting component or speaker, made a sizable and justified impact on the system. Several of which also had some of the best sounding systems at the show.

Volti Audio, BorderPatrol, Triode Wire Labs, Innuos

This story goes back almost a year or more when Greg Roberts, founder of Volti Audio exchanged a few emails and phone calls about a new loudspeaker he had been working on that takes advantage of advanced CNC production technology to produce a new entry-level model into the Volti Audio stable of products. For once, someone with deep pockets, but really short arms–like myself–can partake in the Volti fun. (story above)

Thanks, Eric!

Cheers,
Pete
Congratulations Pete

Well deserved IMHO

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing