CNBC: Why Millennials Are Buying More Vinyl Records

Joe Galbraith

Senior Member/Sponsor
Apr 22, 2010
www.arsetmusica.com
The tactile experience of putting an LP on a turntable has nothing to do with the music. With cleaning, playing with the tone arm, cuing it up, etc., it is just more ceremonial than playing a digital file. Going from one digital file to another in random and not listening to the entire recording is a problem of discipline and one's level attention. It is not part of the music. I don't give a rat's ass about the liner notes or album art. That's not the music either. I don't care what someone else thinks about the artist or their music. I make my own determinations.

Don't underestimate the power of, as you said, LP playback is "cool again" regarding album sales.

I don't disagree with you re: discipline and level of attention. Digital music makes it easier to go from one file to another. Nor do I disagree with the ceremony of the LP experience. Many folks, myself included appreciate the beauty of quality art work on an LP jacket. It's more than music. All the elements together create the experience for some people. It's fine that you don't "give a rat's ass", some do. I doubt the average vinyl listener judges any artist or their music based on liner notes, Again, part of the ceremony.

Re-read my comment of increased competition: more people in record stores, buying records. It is naive to assume that the cool factor isn't in play. Have you been to urban Outfitters?

All your points above are fine, for you. The gist of the discussion is what is driving the increase of LP sales to Millennials. You know, the same group that has to junk their perfectly good iPhone 5 because Apple wants to separate you from your money with the cooler iPhone 6.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I don't disagree with you re: discipline and level of attention. Digital music makes it easier to go from one file to another. Nor do I disagree with the ceremony of the LP experience. Many folks, myself included appreciate the beauty of quality art work on an LP jacket. It's more than music. All the elements together create the experience for some people. It's fine that you don't "give a rat's ass", some do. I doubt the average vinyl listener judges any artist or their music based on liner notes, Again, part of the ceremony.

Re-read my comment of increased competition: more people in record stores, buying records. It is naive to assume that the cool factor isn't in play. Have you been to urban Outfitters?

All your points above are fine, for you. The gist of the discussion is what is driving the increase of LP sales to Millennials. You know, the same group that has to junk their perfectly good iPhone 5 because Apple wants to separate you from your money with the cooler iPhone 6.

Rumor has it Apple will soon be introducing a landline phone with rotary dial pad to market to the vinyl buying millenial market. It comes with a free hardcopy telephone directory to look up numbers for an authentic analog calling experience.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Rumor has it Apple will soon be introducing a landline phone with rotary dial pad to market to the vinyl buying millenial market. It comes with a free hardcopy telephone directory to look up numbers for an authentic analog calling experience.

lol

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA

Amazon has a real book store open again. In fact, independent book stores have made a large comeback.

Joe Galbraith

Senior Member/Sponsor
Apr 22, 2010
www.arsetmusica.com

Well played, sir. You win the Internet

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
I love the record store experience way to much.
I was at Lost In The Grooves in Mt. Vernon this past Sunday (all used for now, new coming soon) and we all had a blast, spinning old 45's from the late 60's through the 70's piped through good old fashioned giant Cerwin Vegas. The owner went total DJ on us calling it the AM Gold set.
Everyone was sharing memories of times past, educating the younger ones. We were all scooting around the store smiling and laughing.
This was not a planned event it just broke out!
At one point he did a accidental needle drop about 5 seconds in, needle hit the record and bounced up, less than a second and I named that tune in one note.
I love to sit and just listen to music, but I believe that what happened in that store is WHAT the music experience is about and prefer that to sitting in a dark room by myself.

Excellent post!
I have similar memories in fellow record stores, and I cherish those moments! I always felt bad because I have a very lousy (musical) memory, and I could never remember the tunes people picked... Once they disclosed the song, it was *always* from an album I already had!!!
These memories are the reason we laid out the store the way we did, with records, couches, and a system set-up around them. It's lovely seeing folks engaged with the LP collection, picking stuff to listen, or being "DJ'ed" by us :D
I think the "dark room by myself" is a consequence of those collective moments. It's when you fully absord what was "learned" during the collective experience!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing