Class A power amps and electricity crisis..

Manos_Bits

Apr 13, 2014
ATHENS - GREECE
www.aca.gr
Hearing that Luxman has dropped development of Class A amps and integrateds for energy conservation reasons. However, maybe there is hope for Class A fans - see the new Westminster Rei.
IMHO every single company has to do that in the effort of saving the planet.. class A sound can easily be mirrored and overstepped.. everyone of us have auditioned great non class A amplifiers..

MarkusBarkus

Feb 6, 2021
Cryptocurrency. Ginza. Shinjuku. Times Square. Luxor. Fill-in-your-favorite city in the world. I'm leaving my audio gear on. Sweetie can turn them off when I'm dead. The local energy audit arrived just yesterday: we use approximately average elec and 1/3rd av. gas. Not an excuse to waste...but audio is certainly not what's using up inordinate amounts of energy from the planet.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Am I correct in assuming that this very thoughtful and detailed analysis pre-supposes that there is no alcohol involved in one’s system’s warm-up process?

Otherwise, if one has a drink when one fires up one’s system, it is easy for me to understand a positive correlation to improving sound over the next 90 minutes.
Good one, Ron.
If you need a drink at 1 pm while your stereo warms up, you've got bigger problems than warm-up time ! ;)

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I am deeply skepticist and wondering about anyone of us owns class 'A' power amps.. Independently of the income or the financial level it has become prohibitive to use such amplifiers.. I believe class 'D' amplification will further rise..

I like the sound of Class A amplifiers. They are heavy, they are big, they take up a lot of space, they generate a lot of heat, they use a lot of electricity, and they scare the birds! All fine by me.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Actually attending musical performances like a neanderthal.

Or worse yet, playing in them.

I have a butler who does that for me , i cant stand boring performances and the traffic.

By the way I usually round up a bunch of politicians and put them on a hometrainer with a dynamo connected to the power amp and turn up the volume.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alrainbow and rando

Manos_Bits

Apr 13, 2014
ATHENS - GREECE
www.aca.gr
The planet will survive dont worry , it survives a lot better without humans .
us the humans are the only witnesses of the existance of our planet and the universe for we be consciousness.. If we pass away, nothing exists.. no music, no trees, no wine, no women, no beauty.. nothing..

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
us the humans are the only witnesses of the existance of our planet and the universe for we be consciousness.. If we pass away, nothing exists.. no music, no trees, no wine, no women, no beauty.. nothing..

All nature besides humans will flourish .
Cities will be forests .
Animals have as much right to live on this planet as humans .
The planet cannot sustain 8 billion people , nature will correct for that , its the way things work for 4 billion years .
Some Species exist some go extinct its the way it works.
Humans smart ??
Afaik they are the only species that destroys itself

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
This got me looking at energy usage. I was surprised an electric car uses about 345 watts per mile. I though this low. If you drive 10,000 miles a year, that is 3,250,000 watts.

A 300 watt dissipating class A amp on 24 x 365 is 2,628,000

An HVAC is about 3500 watts per hour. In a warm state that is about 10 hours run time per day for say 182 days. Thats about 6,370,000 watts. That is assuming the home is about 2400 feet.
Heating a cooling is the mass power usage. Most homes I see in warmer states have more than 1 AC. They have 2 to 5. So the load is more like 12 to 18 million watts for summer. That does not include heat or cool in the winter.

At $1kW, that is $2,628 to idle an amp.
At $.12kW as is much of the US, that is $315. Thats $26 a month. Most audiophile have money enough to let their system run for $26 a month.

For perspective, your desktop computer uses at least 200 Watts per hour. I leave mine on 24 x 365. That is 1,752,000 watts. I bet your Taiko uses more than 200. I bet your DAC is also 200. We leave those on 24x365. Why pick on the amp when you digital front end is probably using close to twice what a class A amp uses. And about the same as what your home computer uses.

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
Cities will be forests .
The planet cannot sustain 8 billion people , nature will correct for that , its the way things work for 4 billion years .
Humans smart ??
the same people worrying about class A amps watch when millions of packages get delivered every day by amazon because people are too lazy to go to a store. Each item , in a box by itself, having to fit in one of three size boxes with packing material.
I totally agree that the issue that no one wants to talk about is there are just way too many people to house, feed and take care of.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Cities will be forests .
Humans smart ??
I was looking at the birds in my yard and thinking they are so stupid. They climb into the bird bath, drink, then go to the bathroom.
Then I looked at humans and how we pollute every river we encounter. I don't see humans as any more evolved than any other animal.

Even Neanderthal buried their dead and some laid symbolic items in the grave. So where does self awareness begin. Is it really a human, or a dolphin, crow????? Both of those species will decide they do not like a member of the community and the community as a whole will drive out the unwanted individual. That is some pretty deep conscious thought to assemble as a group, make a decision and ostracize someone.

Reactions: andromedaaudio

MarkusBarkus

Feb 6, 2021
I was looking at the birds in my yard and thinking they are so stupid.
...probably using stock power cords too. Flying into wind-turbines. Jet engines. I don't trust 'em.

Attachments

• ABFE70FA-2989-43B6-B208-34CDD38938C8.jpeg
    ABFE70FA-2989-43B6-B208-34CDD38938C8.jpeg
    39.3 KB · Views: 10
  • Haha
Reactions: christoph

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Reactions: Alrainbow

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
No worries we all here now will be dust if this happens

Reactions: Manos_Bits

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
I looked at my two homes
it seems Nyc is 2 1/2 times more exp in kWh rates then down south
oddly down south the power transmission is many times longer and the per home per mile is many times less hundreds of times less
so tell me again why Nyc is more exp lol.
electric cars in general are not helping the energy costs in major cities where most are in concentration
the green is not energy but money to those who profit from them
im
glad I’m also at the trough

Reactions: Manos_Bits

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

I have never before heard of this philosophy that if humans don’t perceive something then it doesn’t exist. Does this philosophy have a name? (“species narcissism,” perhaps?)

• Haha
Reactions: the sound of Tao

Manos_Bits

Apr 13, 2014
ATHENS - GREECE
www.aca.gr
I have never before heard of this philosophy that if humans don’t perceive something then it doesn’t exist. Does this philosophy have a name? (“species narcissism,” perhaps?)
you are clever enough to understand that this was an excessive and poetic transfer of my #27 post that says: "we humans are the only consciousness beings of the universe and can understand and witness the glory of the creation and the existence universe".. Yes, no other species can read books, can play chess, can chat in forums, can understand that Mars exists.. hope you understand now and hope all fellows do NOT wish the earth to be destroyed by human stupidity..

Last edited:
Reactions: Ron Resnick

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
The believe the closest technical term is probably (rampantly) anthropocentric… but I much prefer your version Ron.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
My puppy Cleo pointed it out to me Ron, she suggested that ecocentricity is much better strategy for all including human kind since nothing exists without ecology… she even made a little joke that human kind is something of an oxymoron… she’s a very naughty puppy :eek:

E16B2FA8-BE52-486E-814F-AC55514967B0.jpeg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing