Christian McBride the Q Sessions EP

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
Listening to this new recording exclusive to Qobuz at 24/192. No compression, minimal EQ a pure audiophile recording to show off high res. The idea is to give us the studio master. Superb sound.

Reactions: jazdoc

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Listening to this new recording exclusive to Qobuz at 24/192. No compression, minimal EQ a pure audiophile recording to show off high res. The idea is to give us the studio master. Superb sound.
BTW, love the Benny Green avatar. One of my favorites!

Reactions: Al M.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Although the sound is certainly good, "no compression" is a flat out lie. There is noticeable peak-limiting in louder passages, so I strongly suspect some additional compression was used in addition to that (because if it was only peak-limiting it would sound worse)

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
Yes Benny was so kind to snap a pic with me. He is truly a wonderful dude. As for no compression, I think it is no digital compression, the kind that lead to the loudness wars. I just report what is in the PR. Also, rather than state that something is an outright lie, how about you are mistaken instead And here’s why.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
It's not you that is mistaken, I didn't mean to imply that, it's the advertising description from Qobuz that is mistaken. And as I mentioned, in an audio editor there is clearly evidence of some digital compression; since as we have both noted it still sounds good, I infer that there is a little bit of analog compression earlier in the recording chain as well.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing