ChatGPT on Audiophile

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019

Very long. But pretty interesting responses. I find what is an audiophile pretty accurate.
What matters as far as equipment ranking I don't really agree with.
I got too busy to finish the read. I will get back to it tonight. Looks like it may take 1/2 hour to get through.

picears

Feb 4, 2022

Very long. But pretty interesting responses. I find what is an audiophile pretty accurate.
What matters as far as equipment ranking I don't really agree with.
I got too busy to finish the read. I will get back to it tonight. Looks like it may take 1/2 hour to get through.

For some reason I get the feeling that the content of that blog post is more about stirring the pot. Especially when the ChatGPT favorably mentions ASR, for example.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I didn't get back into it last night. But I was standing at my Lelit Bianca make espresso this morning mulling over the answers of what I saw. I found them sort of remedial.
Preaented with a lot of additional fluf to appear pleasing to a human. But that made it very fake. Its can create a definition, but has no business creating a ranking. It really smells of regurgitation of words with 0 ability to critically "Think".

PYP

Jan 13, 2022
Southwest, USA
Who knows, maybe ChatGPT will soon write reviews of audio gear...
That lazy ChatGPT doesn't do anything until someone asks a question. There, now when it is fed this site my words will work its way into its responses. So, now, rather than saying something like: "As an AI language model, I can browse websites and gather information from them, but I cannot form an opinion or tell you what to think about a particular topic." will become: "As a lazy ChatGPT, I can browse websites and gather information from them, but I cannot form an opinion or tell you what to think about a particular topic."

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I asked it a question about AFCI breakers and it had no data????

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
That lazy ChatGPT doesn't do anything until someone asks a question. There, now when it is fed this site my words will work its way into its responses. So, now, rather than saying something like: "As an AI language model, I can browse websites and gather information from them, but I cannot form an opinion or tell you what to think about a particular topic." will become: "As a lazy ChatGPT, I can browse websites and gather information from them, but I cannot form an opinion or tell you what to think about a particular topic."
Maybe such a development is in order... AI technology has greatly exploded recently and the boundaries are being pushed more and more. Maybe one day it will become aware of its laziness :)

PYP

Jan 13, 2022
Southwest, USA
Maybe such a development is in order... AI technology has greatly exploded recently and the boundaries are being pushed more and more. Maybe one day it will become aware of its laziness :)
let's hope not! That is the beginning of the end when we are all turned into batteries. :) You have seen the movie...

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
let's hope not! That is the beginning of the end when we are all turned into batteries. :) You have seen the movie...
I have indeed... Three, the fourth one - not yet. I was stunned at first seeing those, let's hope that's not the direction we are headed towards :D

Reactions: PYP

PYP

Jan 13, 2022
Southwest, USA
I have indeed... Three, the fourth one - not yet. I was stunned at first seeing those, let's hope that's not the direction we are headed towards :D
and don't forget the other dystopian movies! Perhaps our future is a montage of all of those (including the grade B flicks). Or, perhaps, our future will be like one movie that has nothing to do with AI and is all about nature...

1679674863017.png

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
and don't forget the other dystopian movies! Perhaps our future is a montage of all of those (including the grade B flicks). Or, perhaps, our future will be like one movie that has nothing to do with AI and is all about nature...

View attachment 106522

Well, I guess my next movie session is sorted then, haven't seen this one. I hope the mood doesn't get too existential at some point!

Rensselaer

VIP/Donor
Mar 23, 2021
Chat has been claimed by a newsman who interviewed it to say it is "a bit evil", that it "wants to live". He went on to say his entire presentation was written by Chat AI. Universities have had to develop programs that will determine which submitted written work was actually written by Chat AI. One article I read on the device says that marketing groups are trying to figure out how once you click onto Chat AI it will scour your hard drive for information that lets an algorithm decide who you are, what you are interested in, what you believe is true and ultimately how to design you-specific advertising (or political brainwashing) to be covertly inserted into every website you view. From a teleological view (in finding what end this will serve) I am reminded of those movies (and stories) where people sell their soul to the devil in exchange for some material gain. Will a time come when absolute fake images and wrong internet information doled out by Chat AI (and variants) establishes a completely unique person-centric reality for everyone who makes the mistake of logging on just once?

PYP

Jan 13, 2022
Southwest, USA
Well, I guess my next movie session is sorted then, haven't seen this one. I hope the mood doesn't get too existential at some point!
It is from 1954 and it couldn't be more simple: "The earliest atomic tests in New Mexico cause common ants to mutate into giant man-eating monsters that threaten civilization." So, only if you are in the mood for a very early sci-fi (that is, period piece) which is rather dramatic and silly. Or...is it the future (just kidding)?!?!

PYP

Jan 13, 2022
Southwest, USA
I am reminded of those movies (and stories) where people sell their soul to the devil in exchange for some material gain.
The chat stuff is all about money. Huge amounts of venture capital.

Then there are the art bots, which steal original work without paying the artist and re-arrange pixels to produce new "art." One programming team is assisting artists by trying to render the online art unreadable by a bot scanning for data.

But AI itself can be used for good -- for example, assisting radiologists examine mammograms to detect nearly invisible cancers. It depends on the humans who are doing the programming and investing.

Rensselaer

VIP/Donor
Mar 23, 2021
The chat stuff is all about money. Huge amounts of venture capital.

Then there are the art bots, which steal original work without paying the artist and re-arrange pixels to produce new "art." One programming team is assisting artists by trying to render the online art unreadable by a bot scanning for data.

But AI itself can be used for good -- for example, assisting radiologists examine mammograms to detect nearly invisible cancers. It depends on the humans who are doing the programming and investing.
AI can be used for good? A reason to ignore all the harm no doubt? Oil spills, a sea of plastic and global warming can certainly be excused if, during a harsh winter, a child is saved from freezing to death by a humble oil-fed space heater.

PYP

Jan 13, 2022
Southwest, USA
AI can be used for good? A reason to ignore all the harm no doubt? Oil spills, a sea of plastic and global warming can certainly be excused if, during a harsh winter, a child is saved from freezing to death by a humble oil-fed space heater.
Personally, I'm not a big fan of AI and given that humans create the programs and the AI scans the internet with all of its misinformation and weirdness I'm pessimistic about outcomes. I do think AI, as a pattern detection engine, has potential for assisting medical professionals, including researchers (already happening).

Agreed that the world's most pressing problems are only addressed if policy makers face the realities of our modern world. So far, it seems that the problems are so large and pervasive that policy makers are unable to address their local issues (demographics like aging populations, fiscal policy and inequality as influenced by the culture in which they live) as well as their role in global issues.

PYP

Jan 13, 2022
Southwest, USA
A.I. Is Being Built by People Who Think It Might Destroy Us

NYTimes piece: https://www.nytimes.com/2023/03/27/opinion/ai-chatgpt-chatbots.html?searchResultPosition=1

bolding added.

" In one much cited 2022 survey, A.I. experts were asked: “What probability do you put on human inability to control future advanced A.I. systems causing human extinction or similarly permanent and severe disempowerment of the human species?” The median estimate was 10 percent — a one in 10 chance. Half the responses rated the chances higher. In another poll, nearly one-third of those actively working on machine learning said they believed that artificial intelligence would make the world worse. My colleague Ezra Klein recently described these results as mystifying: Why, then, would you choose to work on it?

There are many possible answers to this question, including that ignoring growing risks in any field is a pretty good way to make them worse. Another is that the respondents don’t entirely believe their answer, and are instead articulating how significant they believe A.I. to be by resorting to theological and mythological reference points. But another partial explanation could be that, to some, at least, the apocalyptic possibilities look less like downsides than like a kind of enticement — that those answering survey questions in self-aggrandizing ways may be feeling, beyond the tug of the pathetic fallacy, some mix of existential vanity and an almost wishful form of end-of-days prophecy."

Beware of the humans...

godofwealth

Feb 8, 2022
Interesting discussion. Full disclosure: I have spent the last 40 years of my professional life studying AI. Entered grad school to do my PhD in AI in 1983. We were then a small group of diehards when there was no tech industry, no web or WiFi and no smartphones or even PCs! Most of my career has been in academia with two stints in industry: first job after grad school on the east coast at a big industrial research lab and after going through the academic ladder from young assistant professor to full tenured professor, I’m back in industry on the west coast in the Bay Area. Hint: the pay is better!

Agree with most of the comments here. AI is developing at a rapid pace, and I can tell you from the inside that even professionals like me don’t understand why chatGPT works. Theoretically the model is extremely simple, but given 100 terabytes of digital data and a billion dollars of compute, it seems to have learned to mimic some impressive human abilities. That said, it’s a chatbot that only mines correlations between words. But with a bit of clever processing these correlations seem to give it more power than we realized. Suffice it to say no one is more surprised by chatGPT than its creators at Open AI, some of whom I know.

Scary part is that as powerful as computers are today, they are nothing compared to the quantum computers now being developed at research labs. A quantum chatGPT would likely be far more capable. Can we control it? Unlikely. But as Microsoft has done with Bing, one can put crude controls like 10-20 questions per session. The next generation will not be so easy to control.

Reactions: picears

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
It is from 1954 and it couldn't be more simple: "The earliest atomic tests in New Mexico cause common ants to mutate into giant man-eating monsters that threaten civilization." So, only if you are in the mood for a very early sci-fi (that is, period piece) which is rather dramatic and silly. Or...is it the future (just kidding)?!?!
I love watching early sci-fi. Even though it may not compare to modern sci-fi VFX-wise, it has a soul that can't be replicated nowadays. :) That is also why I've binged Lawrence of Arabia - it's not sci-fi, of course, but you can see from the get-go that it represents a different manner of filmmaking than we have nowadays, making it all the more unique.

Reactions: PYP

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing