Cartridge - headshell for the Bokrand tonearm

Robert Young

VIP/Donor
Oct 22, 2020
New York CIty
That’s the exact combination I will use. Got my Bokrand tonearm and waiting for the SPU. Need to add a SUT and was wondering which one are you using?
I was using an Ortofon ST-7, but although great for the money, it was the weak link. I'm looking to part with some favorite cartridges and other miscellaneous gear so I can fund an EMIA...in the meantime, I'm using an EAT E-glo petit, which is much better than its modest price. And allows me to adjust loading for the MM carts I like to play with when not listening to the SPU or the Allaerts.

Reactions: gramofonia

gramofonia

Jun 22, 2022
I was using an Ortofon ST-7, but although great for the money, it was the weak link. I'm looking to part with some favorite cartridges and other miscellaneous gear so I can fund an EMIA...in the meantime, I'm using an EAT E-glo petit, which is much better than its modest price. And allows me to adjust loading for the MM carts I like to play with when not listening to the SPU or the Allaerts.

That EMIA looks very juicy. I was thinking abut Auditorium 23 or Sculpture A – Mini Nano. Went with Sculpture A – Mini Nano.

Kjetil

Oct 28, 2022
Hamar, Norway

Trouble is this doesn't look right. Black on black, clunky cartridge, clunky headshell (AT-LH13H).

gramofonia

Jun 22, 2022
What plinth did you go for ? Was it a custom build or stock offering?
It’s a custom design single tonearm plinth. Nothing fancy but it was a horrendous experience with this plinth maker.

Agrail

Nov 26, 2019
Ah, I'm sorry to hear the plinth became problematic.I hope it's all come together now?

Kjetil

Oct 28, 2022
Hamar, Norway
This looks right. Korf HS-A02. Sounds right too. I do think that using antiquated cartridges like Denon DL-103 and SPUs is letting the arm down. 659E6A5F-5394-411C-81F5-AD08BB3D67B1.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: mtemur

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
This looks right. Korf HS-A02. Sounds right too. I do think that using antiquated cartridges like Denon DL-103 and SPUs is letting the arm down. View attachment 105906
How could those “antiquated” cartridges let down an arm which is made from “antiquated” Ortofon bearing assembly?

gramofonia

Jun 22, 2022
How could those “antiquated” cartridges let down an arm which is made from “antiquated” Ortofon bearing assembly?

@Kjetil Is trolling us. Imagine using “antiquated” carts on “antiquated” technology like record playback.

• Haha
Reactions: Kjetil and mtemur

Kjetil

Oct 28, 2022
Hamar, Norway
Forgot to mention my hypermodern TD 125 Mk. II. It can play 78s!

A bit if seriousness: I don’t get the love for spherical needles or elliptical for that matter. But I’m all into SMD, DSP and Class D amps anyway. Not really highend you know?

Last edited:

Robert Young

VIP/Donor
Oct 22, 2020
New York CIty
You also forgot to mention your ears, which at +50 are antiques as well... Mine are already there, which puts my hearing range at a 2 or 3 thousand Hz range. Complete. Thankfully just outside my wife's "angry voice."

Hence my love of tube amps, old-school tonearms, SPUs, Empire 880ps, Lencos and TD 124s, and single drivers running "full range." My range, that is.

Reactions: Solypsa

Kjetil

Oct 28, 2022
Hamar, Norway
I forgot to mention my Phonaks too. They fix the 500 to 500 Hz 30 dB rolloff but even with those it's full stop at 11 kHz. Mind you, I'm still sensitive to inner groove distortion, so Namiki needles for my Audio-Technicas thank you. Except for the 78 plough that is.

That said a good stable tonearm deserves a good headshell. The Korf sounds like a well designed item, and the Audio-Technicas are not too shabby either. Adjusting them is a PITA though.

Reactions: Robert Young

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
@Kjetil since you are in Norway try and get a demo of NNNN speakers :) I think they might be your style

Reactions: Kjetil and bonzo75

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Anyways on the stylus profile topic...advanced is good, if setup well.

Tedeska has learned how to make a mono that has both no vertical compliance and a modern profile. Not an easy feat :) and not for every mono record, but man so good when applicable :)

Reactions: Kjetil

Kjetil

Oct 28, 2022
Hamar, Norway
Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
I meet Rune from NNNN yesterday at Oslo Hifi Show across the fjord...he had of course new stuff in development
I´ll go there again in a week or so and listen to his new creations before they´re delivered to client

gramofonia

Jun 22, 2022
What do you fellas think about pairing Bokrand with a cartridge like Koetsu Rosewood Signature?

Reactions: Three quid

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing