Can an amp and pre amp become timeless?

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Replacing components by more expensive components can either improve or ruin the sound of equipment. The sound of a component in a circuit is associated to its function and the circuit itself. Using other people opinions in different equipment is a risk.

In an hobby ruled by user preference DIY benefit from strong bias and accommodation factor - as we listen to partial changes we get used to the modifications. I have sometimes carried such upgrades in expensive equipment, but always advised by the manufacturer.

IMHO sending the VAC equipment to the manufacturer is an excellent idea.
Totally agree. I was talking to a friend today about amp circuits. He said it takes him years of tweaking a circuit to get it to sound the way he wants. A tweak can be a different cap, resistor, even a tube. It all matters. And I have inserted a tube and hated what I heard. Heck, even a fuse can be heard.
I would most definitely send it back to VAC. Its a good amp and preamp. Worth having the manufacturer tell you what they can do. You might ask them what 300B tube to use.

Reactions: ScottK

FT251

Jan 22, 2022
Totally agree. I was talking to a friend today about amp circuits. He said it takes him years of tweaking a circuit to get it to sound the way he wants. A tweak can be a different cap, resistor, even a tube. It all matters. And I have inserted a tube and hated what I heard. Heck, even a fuse can be heard.
I would most definitely send it back to VAC. Its a good amp and preamp. Worth having the manufacturer tell you what they can do. You might ask them what 300B tube to use.
I have already had both units upgraded, I bought the recommended Gold Aero PX 300B's, all 8 of 'em! I hope they last a long time, they were quite expensive. Everything sounds magnificent now.

Maril555

Jun 26, 2014
I have already had both units upgraded, I bought the recommended Gold Aero PX 300B's, all 8 of 'em! I hope they last a long time, they were quite expensive. Everything sounds magnificent now.
Upgraded by VAC?

FT251

Jan 22, 2022
Upgraded by VAC?
Yes, and auditioned by Kevin Hayes before being released back to me. I bought the tubes from Tube Depot-2 matched quads.

Reactions: JackD201

ScottK

Apr 30, 2023
mars
Congratulations and great call! I have a 10 year old VAC sig pre and love it!

Reactions: FT251

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing