Burmester Music Server 111 ...

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
Bob, does your wheelchair have 7.1 or just 2 channel? :)

Sorry Bob, I ment Gary.

Last edited:

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Unfortunately, no speakers on the wheelchair. Delta did a good job - I was kinda worried being cramped up on the seat, unable to move for the 15 hours of flying in 2 segments. But I landed in Seattle without incident. Back's hurting again, but these things take months to hear.

Thanks for all your concern. Sorry for hijacking a music server thread!!

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Unfortunately, no speakers on the wheelchair. Delta did a good job - I was kinda worried being cramped up on the seat, unable to move for the 15 hours of flying in 2 segments. But I landed in Seattle without incident. Back's hurting again, but these things take months to hear.

Gary,

You are way more important than a music server. Please feel better quickly.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

Sorry to hear Gary...best wishes for speedy recovery. Hopefully, you can lie down with remote and enjoy the music!

Thf99

Member Sponsor
May 1, 2012
Sorry to hear about your back problem, Gary. Get well real soon. The music industry needs you!

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
Ah, let's have a big Burmester Hug MK2!

Tonepub

Jun 3, 2011
It's only been a day, but the 111 is proving to be very impressive. Have to dig through the feature set a bit more, but it seems the Burmester engineers have thought of everything...

And it sounds fantastic.

AudioExplorations

Apr 5, 2012
Jeff, great news that you have one on hand, have they sent you a unit for review purposes? Can we expect a full writeup in the next TONEAudio issue :D? Would love to know if it matches the reference line CDP's and preamp's in terms of sound quality!

Tonepub

Jun 3, 2011
Yes, we do have it for review. We will be putting it through its paces in the next week or two. I'm done with issue #48, so I'm going to be spending a LOT of time with the 111, so Robb from Burm. NA can get it out to other dealers, etc. etc.

I will have a full writeup online in the Gear section of our website, so we can get the news out. #49 is going to be all speakers and we've got a surprise in store for #50, so I'd like to get the review live sooner rather than later.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Yep! TonePub's got the North American scoop on this one - it was the first production unit in the country. Sounded awesome in Jeff's place. Far, far, far better then Sooloos into the dCS full stack. Can't wait to read his full impressions.

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
The fast pace that digital keeps changing, I hope it is upgradable and/or modular. Sure is a beauty.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Yep! TonePub's got the North American scoop on this one - it was the first production unit in the country. Sounded awesome in Jeff's place. Far, far, far better then Sooloos into the dCS full stack. Can't wait to read his full impressions.

Wow!

I am very excited to read that. Thanks Gary, Good luck Jeff with the review.....

Thf99

Member Sponsor
May 1, 2012
Just heard the 111 driving the 911 monos at the dealer's showroom. Very, very impressive sounding. The dealer will next test it with the 808 to see how the built-in preamp fares against it. I heard Burmester will come up with a unit without the preamp section at a later date. Can't wait for this to happen.

AudioExplorations

Apr 5, 2012
Don't think the 111 preamp section can be bypassed? In this case you can't really compare built in preamp vs. 808 external preamp, you would just be comparing with and without a second preamp in the chain (I'd get a bit worried if the system sounds better with the 808!).

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Just heard the 111 driving the 911 monos at the dealer's showroom. Very, very impressive sounding. The dealer will next test it with the 808 to see how the built-in preamp fares against it. I heard Burmester will come up with a unit without the preamp section at a later date. Can't wait for this to happen.

Thanks!

I wonder what else is in store for us.

Thf99

Member Sponsor
May 1, 2012
Don't think the 111 preamp section can be bypassed? In this case you can't really compare built in preamp vs. 808 external preamp, you would just be comparing with and without a second preamp in the chain (I'd get a bit worried if the system sounds better with the 808!).

You may be right. The dealer told me the 111 can be used purely as a server but he may be wrong as he is new to the 111.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Not sure if this applies but it's section 6.9 of the manual. It states the preamp can be turned off, not sure if it's wireless only at that point.

6.9 Using the Musiccenter as a server only (Server Mode)
You can use the Musiccenter purely as a data server. This switches off the preamplifi er
section while still allowing access to the hard drive and data streaming for multi-room
playback, for example. This operating mode uses much less power than operation with
the preamplifi er activated.
To switch to Server Mode:
1. Press the home button at the bottom right edge of the screen.
ª This button returns you to the Main menu.
2. Press the settings button.
ª The settings menu opens.
3. Press the server Mode button.
ª The server Mode menu opens.
4. Press the execute button.
ª The preamplifi er and display screen are
switched off.
ª The LED then glows green.
notice! Do not switch the MAins AC line switch to off in
the meantime.
To exit from Server Mode:
? Briefly press the power switch on the Musiccenter upwards.
or
? Press the power button on the remote control.
You can also switch Server Mode on or off using the iPad. You can find information
about this in the iPad Operating Manual.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing