Burmester Music Server 111 ...

Thf99

Member Sponsor
May 1, 2012
Not sure if this applies but it's section 6.9 of the manual. It states the preamp can be turned off, not sure if it's wireless only at that point.

6.9 Using the Musiccenter as a server only (Server Mode)
You can use the Musiccenter purely as a data server. This switches off the preamplifi er
section while still allowing access to the hard drive and data streaming for multi-room
playback, for example. This operating mode uses much less power than operation with
the preamplifi er activated.
To switch to Server Mode:
1. Press the home button at the bottom right edge of the screen.
ª This button returns you to the Main menu.
2. Press the settings button.
ª The settings menu opens.
3. Press the server Mode button.
ª The server Mode menu opens.
4. Press the execute button.
ª The preamplifi er and display screen are
switched off.
ª The LED then glows green.
notice! Do not switch the MAins AC line switch to off in
the meantime.
To exit from Server Mode:
? Briefl y press the poWer switch on the Musiccenter upwards.
or
? Press the poWer button on the remote control.
You can also switch Server Mode on or off using the iPad. You can find information
about this in the iPad Operating Manual.

The dealer is right then.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
I don't think it's possible to bypass the preamp and still use the built in server to connect to your preamp.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Just heard the 111 driving the 911 monos at the dealer's showroom. Very, very impressive sounding. The dealer will next test it with the 808 to see how the built-in preamp fares against it. I heard Burmester will come up with a unit without the preamp section at a later date. Can't wait for this to happen.

Hi...how did it compare to other digital?

Thf99

Member Sponsor
May 1, 2012
Hi...how did it compare to other digital?

Lloyd,
Unlike you, I haven't heard a lot of very high end digital to make meaningful comparisons. Over the years, comparing the few that I'd heard from Mark Levinson, Krell, goldmund, Audio Research, CEC, Audio Note and most recently, the mid end offerings from Burmester itself, the 111 easily sits at the top (if my memory serves me right) but then again, they are in totally different systems. My most significant observation is that when the Davinci Unison TT was compared with the 111, I was hard pressed to tell the difference when the same track was played. But then again, one may ask is the quality of the pressings in both the cd and the lp the same? To be able to give the Davinci a run for its money speaks volumes on the 111.

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Lloyd,
Unlike you, I haven't heard a lot of very high end digital to make meaningful comparisons. Over the years, comparing the few that I'd heard from Mark Levinson, Krell, goldmund, Audio Research, CEC, Audio Note and most recently, the mid end offerings from Burmester itself, the 111 easily sits at the top (if my memory serves me right) but then again, they are in totally systems. My most significant observation is that when the Davinci Unison TT was compared with the 111, I was hard pressed to tell the difference when the same track was played. But then again, one may ask is the quality of the pressings in both the cd and the lp the same? To be able to give the Davinci a run for its money speaks volumes on the 111.

Thanks! Sounds good! You've heard some pretty great digital...and comparison to davinci is equally impressive (and possibly more impressive).

Thf99

Member Sponsor
May 1, 2012
Don't think the 111 preamp section can be bypassed? In this case you can't really compare built in preamp vs. 808 external preamp, you would just be comparing with and without a second preamp in the chain (I'd get a bit worried if the system sounds better with the 808!).

The preamp section can be bypassed. You can actually switch off the preamp. I'll be getting a home audition very soon.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
I would love to read your feedback on how it sounds, especially comparing the built in 077 vs your 808mk5.

Thf99

Member Sponsor
May 1, 2012
After many days and hours of listening, the 111 is indeed one of the best digital sources on the market. It is very close to the performance of the Davinci Unison TT; so close that if one were to listen just a couple of minutes apart, one would be hard pressed to tell the difference. Yes, the Davinci is better but just so slightly. I can certainly live with it (111). It performs even better with the 808 in place. With the 808, bass definition and dynamic contrast are noticeably better. Comparison was done mainly with Dave Brubeck's Time Out album, both cd and lp playing simultaneously.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
After many days and hours of listening, the 111 is indeed one of the best digital sources on the market. It is very close to the performance of the Davinci Unison TT; so close that if one were to listen just a couple of minutes apart, one would be hard pressed to tell the difference. Yes, the Davinci is better but just so slightly. I can certainly live with it (111). It performs even better with the 808 in place. With the 808, bass definition and dynamic contrast are noticeably better. Comparison was done mainly with Dave Brubeck's Time Out album, both cd and lp playing simultaneously.

Thanks!!! Great post and good to know. Are you getting the 111?

Thf99

Member Sponsor
May 1, 2012
Thanks!!! Great post and good to know. Are you getting the 111?

The main advantage of the 111 is that there is no transport jitter and other related problems when the ripped software is being played. In fact, the ripped copy is better than the original for the same reason. I will be comparing the 111 with the forthcoming GTE and the Totaldac D1 Ref before deciding. These 3 together with the much revered 069 are on my very short list. One caveat on the 111; as in all things computer based, there will be annoying glitches every now and then. I believe the 111 is still work in progress.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing