Big decision today..

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
I'm torn between a new 228i with the M-Sport package or that Magico equipment stand....same $$...hmm. What to do, what to do? :confused::b

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I'm torn between a new 228i with the M-Sport package or that Magico equipment stand....same $$...hmm. What to do, what to do? :confused::b

That would not be enough for the top of the line MIT speaker cable. But with your limited budget I would get something more modest in their product line instead of the car of the Magico rack.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
You kill me Gavin LOL

I take it that your back is A-ok and you are now ready for a new pocket rocket eh? Good for you! I always liked the 1 series coupe, now the 2. The closest thing to the e47 M3 was the 1M. I like how the 1M reminded me of the e30 at the same time!

I venture to guess it will be in alpine white?

mbovaird

Banned
Jan 5, 2013
I'm presuming this is tongue in cheek. This obsession with obscenely expensive stands is lost on me.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
If you knew Gavin like I do you'd know that if he had two tongues he'd have one in each cheek. ;p

As for the stands, well, all I can say is don't knock 'em 'less you've tried 'em.

es347

Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
You kill me Gavin LOL

I take it that your back is A-ok and you are now ready for a new pocket rocket eh? Good for you! I always liked the 1 series coupe, now the 2. The closest thing to the e47 M3 was the 1M. I like how the 1M reminded me of the e30 at the same time!

I venture to guess it will be in alpine white?

Hey there Jack..

The back is just so-so but good enough to get in and out of a 2 series. Alpine white with dark brown leather and fully optioned except for the brake package...won't be driving THAT aggressively, at least when Pam is with me. From what I've read this is as close as they've come in years to the E36 M3 that I used to own and that's a good thing. There are rumors of an M2 in the future but the price will be prohibitive. The salesman tried talking me into the 8 speed automatic but I just can't see myself in anything wearing M badging without a stick shift. We ordered it and it should be in within the next couple of months...a 2015...woohoo ;)

es347

Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
Yep tongue firmly planted in cheek..

es347

Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
Just one last thing, the 228i with the M-sport package compares favorably to the M235i for $10K less. In fact the reviews I've read say the 228i has better weight distribution than the heavier 235i with it's 6 cyl motor. Test drives say the 235i suffers from understeer due to the heavier front end but the 228i with its nearly 50-50 distribution is much more nimble. It should be an absolute hoot to drive plus it's capable of hybrid-like fuel economy....cool eh?

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Just one last thing, the 228i with the M-sport package compares favorably to the M235i for $10K less. In fact the reviews I've read say the 228i has better weight distribution than the heavier 235i with it's 6 cyl motor. Test drives say the 235i suffers from understeer due to the heavier front end but the 228i with its nearly 50-50 distribution is much more nimble. It should be an absolute hoot to drive plus it's capable of hybrid-like fuel economy....cool eh?

You'll love it. I own the die-cast version!:cool::p

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I always loved the straight six too. The e92 didn't quite move me so I went with another german car that is very much Dr Jack'll and Mr Hyde. With the traffic we have here, I've come to love sequential boxes.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011

$44k for a 4 banger? I dunno...they're inherently unbalanced and the antithesis of smooth. Porsche used twin counter weight balancing shafts in the 944 to ameliorate the problem, notice Porsche doesn't make a 4 cylinder any longer. for 44k you could get a highly optioned, super clean low mileage 997 S or if you're patient a 996 GT3.

es347

Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
What's a parade without a little rain?

slowGEEZR

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2010
Colorado Springs, CO
I just bought a new 328i with the M-Sport package (two weeks ago) and I'm loving it. It is very quick, very smooth and handles wonderfully. You will love it! On another site, I compared the ride against my 2008 Cayman. The Cliff Notes version: in the balance between comfort and sporty handling, the BMW is just on the comfort side, while the Porsche is just on the sport side.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
$44k for a 4 banger? I dunno...they're inherently unbalanced and the antithesis of smooth. Porsche used twin counter weight balancing shafts in the 944 to ameliorate the problem, notice Porsche doesn't make a 4 cylinder any longer. for 44k you could get a highly optioned, super clean low mileage 997 S or if you're patient a 996 GT3.

Porsche is coming out with 4 bangers again...will be the base Boxster/Cayman engine.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA

Its not much heavier optioned equivalently, but if you leave off the sunroof etc in the 228 you gain some addtl weight advantage. I'm actually looking at the M2 to potentially replace my S5 in two years. Will see if they can bring it down to 3300 lbs.

I'm confused though- you ordered a car without a test drive? Kudos for passing on the 8 sp :)

scouter

Member Sponsor
Oct 30, 2012
Wrightsville Beach, NC
Just saw a new silver M3 sedan with red interior and a black on black M4 coupe in Chapel Hill, NC - both already sold and waiting to be delivered. I'd say screw the budget, and get one of those. Both beautiful cars!!

es347

Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
Its not much heavier optioned equivalently, but if you leave off the sunroof etc in the 228 you gain some addtl weight advantage. I'm actually looking at the M2 to potentially replace my S5 in two years. Will see if they can bring it down to 3300 lbs.

I'm confused though- you ordered a car without a test drive? Kudos for passing on the 8 sp :)

Not a 2 series on the lot or more likely in the entire state. We did drive a 428i so got some idea of the engine characteristics in a heavier car...surprisingly fast. Not a manual transmission on the lot either so no way to evaluate that either. But I've owned about 10 BMWs over the years and not one was an automatic so am pretty familiar with the BMW stick. A good friend happened to be at the dealer that day and they just took delivery on essentially the identical car. Didn't drive it but did a walk around and sat in it...very sweet.

slowGEEZR

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2010
Colorado Springs, CO
I like this color!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing