Best integrated for under $20K

iaxel

Oct 25, 2016
That will be able to drive tough loads (low impedances and sensitivity).
The likes of Gryphon, Pass come to mind.
Any other suggestions/recommendations?

JayR

Feb 28, 2015
I have been using a Devialet D200 for the last year or so driving Audio Physic Virgo 25 speakers. It replaced a Placette preamp, Rowland Model 10s and a Peachtree iDac. I have been really impressed with the single box solution. Good extension on both ends, transparent with good soundstaging, low noise floor etc.. It might be something you might want to check out.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
My Parasound continues to amaze me driving a pair of Maggies. I'd also look into the Hegel.

iaxel

Oct 25, 2016
Had a chance to listen to the devialet 250, if you do not use its dac you miss the whole point, and frankly I was not too fond of its dac.

Ayre is interesting also Dartzeel (although no local distributor...), thanks!

No love for the Diablo 300? Pass INT 250?

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
How did you manage to isolate the Devialets dac?..if you used its pre outs.. you actually use a different dac to the one it uses to do the amplification
it uses a wolfson for the pre amp board , WM8740 and afaik a T1 for the main dac (and you cant get to hear that as a DAC only)
Devialet sound cannot be evaluated as "parts", it has to be evaluated as a whole .. if you didnt like it as an integrated , well so be it

iaxel

Oct 25, 2016
How did you manage to isolate the Devialets dac?..if you used its pre outs.. you actually use a different dac
Right.

Devialet sound cannot be evaluated as "parts", it has to be evaluated as a whole .. if you didnt like it as an integrated , well so be it
Exactly. That's why I didn't like it. Also, to my ears, it killed the sound of my analog setup, using its phono section or just using the analog imput. YMMV.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Right.

Exactly. That's why I didn't like it. Also, to my ears, it killed the sound of my analog setup, using its phono section or just using the analog imput. YMMV.

The Devialet sound is not everyone preference, but people should listen to the new pro versions - they are a significant improvement over the older ones. I am still recovering from an audition using the recent 220Pro with the Wilson Sabrina ... Too good to be true ...

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
The Devialet sound is not everyone preference, but people should listen to the new pro versions - they are a significant improvement over the older ones. I am still recovering from an audition using the recent 220Pro with the Wilson Sabrina ... Too good to be true ...

You are slowly moving to the dark side, Luke :)
Happy Holidays!

Bobwah

Feb 22, 2016
I've been asking myself this question lately also to maybe keep costs down for another system. But more like $25k so you can put absolare and agostino (used) in the mix..

I have the cth8550 and love it, drives my WB just fine.

My list would be Diablo 300, absolare, agostino, ch precision, nagra classic, technical brain just released a new integrated, no idea what it's like.. so many interesting options.

Would love to hear them all...

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
You are slowly moving to the dark side, Luke :)
Happy Holidays!

Yes, but much better than that, the dark side is slowly becoming luminous ... ;)

cyclopse

Jul 25, 2016
A shout out for Vitus class A. The SIA-025 is a complete integrated package to consider.

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
For tough loads under $20K Rowland Continuum S2 or Gryphon Diablo 300, then way above $20K you have Rowland Daemon or the D'agostino Momentum Integrated.
The Dartzeel and Absolare will probably not drive very difficult loads.
My personal taste would go to the Absolare integrated with 88db and up.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
+1 for the Vitus class A

Me too
It's a genuine high end integrated and is a lot more powerful than the quoted output figures suggest.
The sheer weight of it is a testament to both the quality of its design and sound coupled with lounge friendly aesthetics
Can't recommend it highly enough.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
So many good integrated amps out there today, I think matching to your speakers will be the most important thing

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
People should not forget the Ayre AX5 Twenty - it is an excellent sounding integrated!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing