Best Integrated Amps

Jlaz

Aug 22, 2015
Hi,

I am new to this forum... and even asking advice on a deeply subjective hobby. I am looking to perhaps move away from separates and into an integrated amp, if I could find one that is worth taking the plunge. This is due to my wife wanting to 1. a simpler system and 2. having a growing family. I am considering the Boulder 865, the Ayre, and at a very different price point the D'Agostino integrated. I am currently leaning towards the Boulder 865 but I would love this group's thoughts. I currently have an all Naim set up. My main source is digital, using the Naim NDX, Naim Dac, and the 555PS powering the Naim Dac. I use Wilson Speakers. Many thanks in advance.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Hi,

I am new to this forum... and even asking advice on a deeply subjective hobby. I am looking to perhaps move away from separates and into an integrated amp, if I could find one that is worth taking the plunge. This is due to my wife wanting to 1. a simpler system and 2. having a growing family. I am considering the Boulder 865, the Ayre, and at a very different price point the D'Agostino integrated. I am currently leaning towards the Boulder 865 but I would love this group's thoughts. I currently have an all Naim set up. My main source is digital, using the Naim NDX, Naim Dac, and the 555PS powering the Naim Dac. I use Wilson Speakers. Many thanks in advance.

Hi there.
I was a long term Naim user ending up with the 500/552 DR combo which as you know is a four box set up.
About a couple of years ago a friend suggested I try the Vitus SIA 025 integrated. I was a bit doubtful but the Hifi Plus review by Chris Thomas, who I rate highly, persuaded me to try it. I was also assured again despite my doubts about its 25 watts Class A output that that would not be a problem.
I was very quickly delighted with it. Lovely natural sound, very resolving and no lack of volume even in Class A with my YG Kipod Signature passives which have a sensitivity of about 86db.
Can't recommend it highly enough and I am sure your wife would love its looks.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Both the Boulder and the Ayre are outstanding units. There are also a couple of units by Dartzeel (with DAC included), a couple by Audio Research, VAC, Pass, etc., all highly regarded with many satisfied owners. And then there is Devialet...

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Yes, the best integrated amps that I've heard are the darTZeels and the D'Agostinos. I do like the Vitus as well, and they have a few different models too.
At a much lower price, the Hegels are excellent.

Since you don't seem to have a turntable in your setup, the darTZeel LHC-208 seems to be just the ticket, as you'll replace all the Naim boxes for just one!

A review of the LHC just came out, in England : http://www.absolutesounds.com/pdf/main/press/DA LHC 208 HFN1015_4web.pdf

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I have not investigated integrated myself personally, but if i did, i would start here: D'Agostino, Gryphon (their new integrated just came out after roughly 10 years with the Diablo...it is now called the Diablo 300), and Vitus. None of these is inexpensive, but their designers are reknown for super high-quality designs, construction and generally world-class amplification.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Simaudio MOON products don't often get a shout-out here, but I feel their products stand side-by-side with the best out there. I've heard many of their products through the years and have always been impressed.

Have a look at the MOON Evolution 700i

maslak34

Try to listen to Ypsilon Phaethon

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Hi,

At the risk of seeming very politically incorrect, intolerant and a male chauvinist pig, DO NOT DOWNSIZE YOUR SYSTEM because anyone other than yourself wants a different system.

Your wife wants a simpler system? What knobs does she need to adjust, the input selector and volume??? An integrated will have all the same knobs as the separates only they will all be on one box.

You bought the system you have because you liked it. Don't let somebody else make you change it. You will hate yourself if you do.

If you like your separates, it is doubtful you will like an integrated, even a good one.

Keep your kids away from your system. Having an integrated vs separates won't protect your system from children.

Get as many of these as needed.

http://www.amazon.com/Petsafe-PDT00...&keywords=electric+dog+collars+for+large+dogs

Last edited:

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
At the risk of seeming very politically incorrect, intolerant and a male chauvinist pig, DO NOT DOWNSIZE YOUR SYSTEM because anyone other than yourself wants a different system.

Your wife wants a simpler system? What knobs does she need to adjust, the input selector and volume??? An integrated will have all the same knobs as the separates only they will all be on one box.

You bought the system you have because you liked it. Don't let somebody else make you change it. You will hate yourself if you do.

If you like your separates, it is doubtful you will like an integrated, even a good one.

Keep your kids away from your system. Having an integrated vs separates won't protect your system from children.

Get as many of these as needed.

http://www.amazon.com/Petsafe-PDT00...&keywords=electric+dog+collars+for+large+dogs

:b

What Gary said. ... Your life after all and the decision will be yours ...

Else if it is integrated that you need at all cost .. I would consider the Burmester 032 ..Not inexpensive but it is one of those rare integrated that will give several top flights separates a case of hatred .. it's that good ...

Or the De Vialet always a viable option that has everything but the kitchen sink ... and sounds good on top of that ...

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
I'm listening to the Dartzeel CTH-8550 on my Tannoy Westminster GR as I write this and it's a superb integrated. All suggestions in this thread have merit, it really boils down to what you prefer out of what you've heard. Happy listening and good luck in your search!

Yeah I rate and own (gone through several other manufacturers) the Dartzeel 8550 as well, and enjoy the music using it with a diverse range of medium sized speakers (bookshelf and the small-medium floor standing speakers) from Sonus Faber to Magico and diverse range of music (from pop to classical-opera-ballet).
Only quibble is that they need to be turned on for a few hours before listening at their best from cold unlike say Devialet and a few other integrateds that work extremely well within the first 5-15minutes.
Cheers
Orb

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
For an ultra simple and amazing sounding do it all amp , try a Devialet

Billy Shears

Jul 27, 2015
I am going to throw in the stratospherically priced Soulution 530....

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I think if you're a Naim guy, the Boulder may not be your cup of tea. The Ayre and DarTZeel do that flow thing well...Vac on the tube side. Your Wilsons can go tube or ss probably.

I'm not a big fan of 50k integrateds as I feel that amount should buy good separates.

disclaimer- Dart CTH-8550 owner

Billy Shears

Jul 27, 2015
I'm not a big fan of 50k integrateds as I feel that amount should buy good separates.

disclaimer- Dart CTH-8550 owner

I view most utra High-End integrateds as separates in one Box with ultra short signal paths anyway.....

Last edited:

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing