Best DACs comparison test result [[My Subjective Opinion]]

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
Dear Verrastar,

I must have the picture of La Fontaine from the review by Audio Video magazin, will post it when found, mine is no 50.

Last edited:

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
Is it good enough? 045BD158-7CCD-4086-A743-C1853A71C14F.jpeg

thyname

Apr 22, 2019
N. Virginia
Great thread!

I am looking to upgrade my current DAC -- an Ayre QX-5 Twenty. I have shortlisted to the following list. Which one would you recommend:

1 - MSB Discrete
2 - dCS Bartok
3 - Mola Mola Tambaqui
4 - Chord DAVE (add the M Scaler later)
5 - Keep my Ayre QX-5 Twenty, do nothing

Thanks!

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Are you open to a tube dac like Lampi.
I say this as SS dacs while being technically better on paper seem to lack the palpable part in some ways. A tube just adds that wow it's real music factor.
And I don't sell LAMPI lol.
The chord DAVE needs a Up scaller too. For me and please don't bash native is music then rest is pcs of it. Great and not so great in parts. Native is best.

Reactions: christoph

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
Looks like your budget goes up to ~$20k? If so I'd recommend the Aqua Formula xHD and the TotalDAC d1-Seven.

Reactions: CKKeung

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
I like Aqua Formula xHD and Totaldac Six.

And you can add a Totaldac Reclocker to any of your dac choices later as upgrade, except the Chord DAVE because it has to be paired with the M-Scaler.

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
I like Aqua Formula xHD and Totaldac Six.

And you can add a Totaldac Reclocker to any of your dac choices later as upgrade, except the Chord DAVE because it has to be paired with the M-Scaler.
I'm curious how the D1 reclocker would sound with the Formula since, as I underdtand it the Formula sounds best using USB in, not AES or SPDIF...

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Great thread!

I am looking to upgrade my current DAC -- an Ayre QX-5 Twenty. I have shortlisted to the following list. Which one would you recommend:

1 - MSB Discrete
2 - dCS Bartok
3 - Mola Mola Tambaqui
4 - Chord DAVE (add the M Scaler later)
5 - Keep my Ayre QX-5 Twenty, do nothing

Thanks!
I can only comment on the Emm labs, if u can get a DA2 I think you will be happy

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
At $20,000 I recommend the MSB Premier DAC with two power supplies (KeithR’s system).

Reactions: Lee and KeithR

thyname

Apr 22, 2019
N. Virginia
Thanks guys! Some very good advice here. Although I would like to keep this as close to $10-12K as possible. Now.... If I got a great $20K DAC for less, I would not object

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Thanks guys! Some very good advice here. Although I would like to keep this as close to $10-12K as possible. Now.... If I got a great $20K DAC for less, I would not object
Get the Lampi GA TRP with volume Control for circa $10K, then get 3/4 pairs of pentodes, EH 6CA7, Phillips/Mullard EL34, vintage Brimar 6L6 and a good pair of either KT 66, 77 or 88. Ultimate would be GEC/Cossor KT88 and then you can fine tune the TRP to almost ANY sound you want. I have seen it and heard it in action. Astounding value...the sweetspot in Lampi-land. Thank me later!

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Once you add the second discrete PS, and a module or two for it to work, the price goes over $23-24K. I don't have that kind of money.

Get a Discrete then. It can be upgraded to Premier later, and you keep the same modules/power supplies.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
It's pretty funny how everyone gives their personal pet recommendation with the utmost confidence that the buyer will like it. Regardless if the buyer has never auditioned the unit, and found it corresponding to his personal priorities and tastes.

For such a high entry price I wouldn't take the gamble to go on some recommendation by a stranger whose tastes I don't know. Actual auditioning of the unit prior to purchase is paramount.

thyname

Apr 22, 2019
N. Virginia
It's pretty funny how everyone gives their personal pet recommendation with the utmost confidence that the buyer will like it. Regardless if the buyer has never auditioned the unit, and found it corresponding to his personal priorities and tastes.

For such a high entry price I wouldn't take the gamble to go on some recommendation by a stranger whose tastes I don't know. Actual auditioning of the unit prior to purchase is paramount.

Sure... absolutely agree that paying that much money without auditioning (preferably in my house, with my own equipment, in my room) does not make much sense. However, there is nothing wrong with "taking" recommendations, which help me build a list that I can use to research then find a way to audition my shortlist

Reactions: christoph

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Sure... absolutely agree that paying that much money without auditioning (preferably in my house, with my own equipment, in my room) does not make much sense. However, there is nothing wrong with "taking" recommendations, which help me build a list that I can use to research then find a way to audition my shortlist

Sure, that makes sense.

I am just smiling about the supreme confidence with which some recommendations are given here, when they don't even know what you personally like and don't like. Many think their own personal tastes are absolute and applicable to everyone.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

IMHO an audio recommendation in a forum is just an advice on what is worth listening and the reason why we think so. What else should one expect? :)

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
IMHO an audio recommendation in a forum is just an advice on what is worth listening and the reason why we think so. What else should one expect? :)

True. Yet the tone of some posts tries to suggest a bit more ;).

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Once you add the second discrete PS, and a module or two for it to work, the price goes over $23-24K. I don't have that kind of money.

Then just stay with the basic Premier unit, and the power supply that comes with it.

thyname

Apr 22, 2019
N. Virginia
Then just stay with the basic Premier unit, and the power supply that comes with it.

I would need at least one of the modules to have it work with Roon. Either the Ethernet Bridge / renderer module, or the USB MQA module to hook up my Innuos ZENith MK3 via USB.

Anyways .... I am just looking at the Discrete now. Premier is definitely out of my reach

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing