Best bottle of wine for less than $20?

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I prefer my wine at room temperature. Darker wines are preferable. Any suggestions. this is not just for me. I hope your suggestion is available in the U.S.A.

Tbzc

Feb 4, 2011
The chocolate block by Boekenhoutskloof. A bit more expensive as your limit but still good deal..

I have discovered it more than 10 years ago while visiting wine estates in South Africa. Still one of my favorite wines.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I was tempted to call this thread The First Glass for reasons that should be obvious. I'll be on the lookout.

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
Music City, USA aka Nashville
I don’t know about the appellation “Best.” Especially not with a $20 cost constraint.

But if you like reds, and are planning to drink it as part of a meal, rather than as a special celebration, it’s hard to beat a recent (1 to 2 years old) Beaujolais. There are several estates, and they’re generally available for less than $20/750 ml bottle. Be sure to have a cork screw because these will have a cork.

if you’re in the mood to celebrate and don’t mind upping the anti to $50 -$60, it’s hard to beat a 5 to 8 year old St. Emillion Bordeaux. But of course at that price point, there are more choices.

Reactions: Gregadd

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
I prefer my wine at room temperature. Darker wines are preferable. Any suggestions. this is not just for me. I hope your suggestion is available in the U.S.A.

Like asking “best” cartridge under $500 (pick a price point). One thing I have learned in my oenophile evolution is what makes a wine good or great is completely up to what you like in a wine. Under $20, from most USA producers, you will find what I call fruit bombs, hitting the tongue with explosion of fruit flavors, often times too much sweetness. But there are many good cabernets from Washington state around $20/bottle. If you like a little bit of chocolate flavor in your wine, cabs or syrahs from Walla Walla area of Washington tend to have a bit of chocolate notes.

If you are less inclined to a big fruit forward wine, French bordeauxs are much more earthy wines (I call them “dirty”) and you get much more minerality and less fruit. These pair very well with beef. I find Itialian sangeovese (Chianti) often has both fruitiness and minerality, but are a little lighter than a bold cabernet for example. You cam find Pinot Noir that is nice at your price point, but watch out as many are quite sweet and bursting with raspberry, strawberry, and pie cherry flavors. These can all be nice for folks new to wine or who don’t care that much what is in the glass.

I often use the rating feature at “total wine and more” website when stocking up on what I call mid-week, pizza night wines. You can filter for ratings, price, region, and varietial and get a many selections that will be very good. Try for example to see if there are any wines rated >92 points for less than $20. Make note of a few labels and the vintage and see if they are on the shelf at a local grocery. Ratings don’t equate to total quality or if you will like it, but a wine with a rating over, say, 92 points probably will be enjoyable. french, italian, north american, south american, australian… so many to choose from.

Personally, I am always looking for the great value sub-$20 bottle, and often find some gems in the $15 neighborhood. I stock up on these as they are great to have on hand when I have guests who are not wine connoisseurs but enjoy a glass when listening.

Reactions: Leekg

Gregm

Mar 14, 2019
France
The chocolate block by Boekenhoutskloof. A bit more expensive as your limit but still good deal..

I have discovered it more than 10 years ago while visiting wine estates in South Africa. Still one of my favorite wines.
I second the recommendation!

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
You could try the Campo Viejo Reserva Rioja. Pretty good for $15.

Reactions: Bobvin

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
You could try the Campo Viejo Reserva Rioja. Pretty good for $15.

I am no wine connoisseur, but Riojas almost always seem to be great tasting values in the $15 to $20 range.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
As non-connoisseurs we like wine that is smooth, not sharp, on the berry tasting side, and no edgy finish.

We randomly tried this wine, and we liked it so much that we ordered a case. It is $14 per bottle, and, as a first-time Macy's Wine Club enrollee, it was discounted to $10 per bottle.

IMG_5557.jpeg

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
If you like Riojas also try a good chianti.

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
Reactions: bonzo75

godofwealth

Feb 8, 2022
I highly recommend the Petit Syrah from Guglielmo Winery, an 100 year old winery about
a mile from my house in the San Francisco Bay Area, part of the Santa Clara wineries. I jog by their vineyards every morning during my five mile run.

It lists usually for $35-40, but It’s within your budget if you find it at a discount. I often buy it at half price at my local Trader Joe’s, which has a stunning selection of local wines. If you want a large volume nearby wine store, try Total Wines.

1684276881905.jpeg
It has a very earthy rich texture, which is no doubt due to our soil (we in California are one of the world’s largest producers of fruits and vegetables). Plenty of sun through the growing season.

One advantage of living here is the abundance of local wineries. Of course, Napa and Sonoma counties up further north have thousands of wineries, some world class, but Santa Clara and places further south are wonderful as well (Pasa Robles and Coppola Wineries).

Reactions: Leekg and Bobvin

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Catena Zapata Merlot.

Ridiculously low price, phenomenally drinkable.

We had lunch at Cabana Las Lilas which is one of the most iconic of the grand steakhouses in Buenos Aires, and perhaps one of the top 5 steaks we have ever had from US to Japan (Yakiniku is not steak but is pure beef), to elsewhere, etc, etc. The wine was recommended by their sommelier. A great recommendation...very drinkable. Even with import tax, last time we bought (many years ago) it was still GBP12.

facten

Feb 13, 2022
Tennessee

Michael David Winery Freakshow Cabernet Sauvignon​

1686853842890.png

Reactions: brad225 and sbnx

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com

facten

Feb 13, 2022
Tennessee
Pretty good juice… but vintage can make a big difference on this label. What year is the one you’re showing?
The picture was chosen simply for general reference versus specific vintage. And, any time I have purchased Freakshow there's not a "vintage selection" for it, the wine stores have whatever is available. I haven't noticed any great taste variance on the occasions I buy this; then again I am not a wine connoisseur.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing