Best Bass Demo Albums or Tracks

24bit

Jun 14, 2013
Listened to the DXD last night and it bored me silly. I suppose this is what happens when you move delta blues from Mississippi to Netherlands. Not a patch on Cowboy Junkies or Cassandra Wilson interpretations. Yes, it sounds very ‘real’ and sure to be a demo favourite at shows when they return. I’ll give it some more plays as it may grow on me.
cheers
First of all " talking about music is like dancing about architecture" like Monk said, that said I couldn't disagree with Blue58 more.
This is my first reaction back when the CD came out;
Got the CD this weekend and listened last night. What a trip. Finally a band that dares to make a concept album.
I am big Robert Johnson fan and have all the covers of his songs made from the likes of Elmore James and Eric Clapton to the Rolling Stones and what have you, but Carmen Gomes Inc takes first place in my top 10, why? They have made the songs their own. In no way do they try emulate Robert Johnson, instead they seem to have looked at each song and explored the song it self, so not Robert Johnson the artist but Robert Johnson the composer. So refreshing. https://carmengomes.bandcamp.com/track/up-jumped-the-devil

Reactions: oldmustang and APP

daytona600

Sep 9, 2012
scotland

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
First of all " talking about music is like dancing about architecture" like Monk said, that said I couldn't disagree with Blue58 more.
This is my first reaction back when the CD came out;

Listened to the DXD last night and it bored me silly. I suppose this is what happens when you move delta blues from Mississippi to Netherlands. Not a patch on Cowboy Junkies or Cassandra Wilson interpretations. Yes, it sounds very ‘real’ and sure to be a demo favourite at shows when they return. I’ll give it some more plays as it may grow on me.
cheers
So far, I prefer her Carmen Sings the Blues a lot more. I thought her interpretations were better, more sure footed. The website page below allows you to listen to each track...select down below where all the tracks are listed, and then up above towards the top is the play, pause button.

You can also buy here:

24bit

Jun 14, 2013
I like both albums. "Sings the blues'' is more traditional and it's a live album.
"Up Jumped The Devil" is a concept album. One should listen from start to finish. I find it absolutely mesmerizing.
And the SQ it maybe the best I have ever heard.
Sound Liaison is selling the 24/192 and the 24/96 on soundliaison.bandcamp.com/music
but for the DXD master file or DSD one has to go to Sound Liaison.com

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
I just bought the album at Sound Liaison 25% off with the coupon code BlackFriday2020

Downloading right now.

Steve Z

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
"Up Jumped The Devil" is quite nice. Music is in the ear of the beholder, so I can understand why Carmen Gomes' interpretations of these Robert Johnson songs might not appeal to some, but I find them quite absorbing, and recorded in excellent.

BTW, the LIM DXD-mastered CD of Michael Stearns' "The Lost World" -- which is OOP now -- is on sale at Elusive Disc for 50% off (FIM & LIM titles):

Ordered mine yesterday.

Steve Z

Reactions: 24bit and APP

APP

Oct 1, 2014
I agree with 24bit and old mustang, it's a mesmerizing album. One should try to listen from start to finish, but if one can't find the time then my stand out tracks are Come on in my Kitchen and When you got a Good friend as well as the drum miniature Clarksdale 61/49.
But also of course that low bass note starting out the first track....I only have organ records going that low.

Reactions: 24bit

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
I'll bet they have something coming up as a promotion real soon again.

Good luck,

Steve Z

APP

Oct 1, 2014
It's on the bestseller list of https://www.nativedsd.com/ site together with her previous album.

24bit

Jun 14, 2013
For a simple but superb bass sound there is also the just released One Mic recording with Michael Moore and Paul Berner.
Highly recommended;

Reactions: Lampie519

JGlacken

Mar 4, 2011
How about Brian Bromberg-All Blues on the Wood Album

Reactions: APP and oldmustang

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
How about Brian Bromberg-All Blues on the Wood Album
Good one, as is The Saga Of Harrison Crabfeathers on the same album.

Steve Z

musicfirst1

VIP/Donor
Mar 8, 2015
Canada
www.musicfirstdistribution.ca
I don't own any Bromberg stuff. Any other recommendations sonically and musically other than wood?

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK
I don't own any Bromberg stuff. Any other recommendations sonically and musically other than wood?
Adam Ben Ezra - Pin Drop, interesting use of the bass.

ACHiPo

Feb 22, 2015
Pleasanton, CA
I have both an original and the reissue. No comparison. And yes, I agree with you that this LP is a good way to measure progress in one's system evolution. Those low bass notes in that first cut are tough to get to play cleanly and not distort or overload the room. I am finally getting there after a few years of effort. Ray Brown is finally becoming present in the room with his instrument. I realized I was making progress when I started to hear the texture of the bow on the bass, and not just one low, homogenous mess. This is incredibly nuanced and then the plucking later relative to Almeida's plucking is brilliant. The cool thing for me is that my improvements did not involve any gear changes and very little expense.

Another good one is "This One's for Blanton" on Pablo.
Ray Brown Soular Energy has some nice bass. Koyaanizqatsi is a good work out as well.

ACHiPo

Feb 22, 2015
Pleasanton, CA
The first minute tells very quickly how good your bass is. If it’s loose and tubby you’ll hear it in this song
I don't hear tubby, but my guts feel like I swallowed a plugged-in hand blender.:oops:

Last edited:

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
The bass player is the great Matthew Parrish, an acquaintance, all around great guy and an audiophile to boot.
Thanks for that. I can't believe it took me so long to find Michelle Lordi and her superb group.

Steve Z

Reactions: izeek

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing