Best "bang for the buck" DAC

fuscobal

Apr 8, 2020
Hello guys. I currently own the old EMM Labs CDSAse and would like to upgrade soon. The budget would be 7-8K Euros for a second hand unit and I am of course looking at Emm DAC2X V2 in the first place as I very much like the sound of EMM (don't have a lot of experience with ultra high end dacs but CDSA outperformed easily everything I've heard up to it's price range). The upgrade has 2 reasons > even better sound quality and convenience as CDSA has no inputs (I intend to also purchase the Aurender N10 in order to bring all my high res music on its internal HDD or connect the TV through the DAC). Questions :

1. Are there any other comparable/better options to consider at this price point ?
2. How much of an improvement would I see going from CDSAse to DAC2X V2 ? (can't afford a DA2 V2 unfortunately)
3. Any compatibility issues between Aurender N10 and DAC2X v2 ?

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Hello guys. I currently own the old EMM Labs CDSAse and would like to upgrade soon. The budget would be 7-8K Euros for a second hand unit and I am of course looking at Emm DAC2X V2 in the first place as I very much like the sound of EMM (don't have a lot of experience with ultra high end dacs but CDSA outperformed easily everything I've heard up to it's price range). The upgrade has 2 reasons > even better sound quality and convenience as CDSA has no inputs (I intend to also purchase the Aurender N10 in order to bring all my high res music on its internal HDD or connect the TV through the DAC). Questions :

1. Are there any other comparable/better options to consider at this price point ?
2. How much of an improvement would I see going from CDSAse to DAC2X V2 ? (can't afford a DA2 V2 unfortunately)

Maybe @marty can say a few words as he had an EMM Labs DAC as well before...

Reactions: bonzo75

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com

If you haven't done this yet, I recommend Lampizator. I owned the DAC2x and once I received our Lampizator Golden Gate I was floored by the performance. We just received the Amber 3 DAC and I can't believe how well this little Lampizator performs like it's more expensive partners in the Lampi product line. I was also using the Aurender N-10 until we took delivery of our Aurender W20SE. You may be able to find a Used Golden Gate for a descent price.

No compatibility issues between the Aurender N-10 and the DAC2X

Reactions: Golum and christoph

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
If you haven't done this yet, I recommend Lampizator. I owned the DAC2x and once I received our Lampizator Golden Gate I was floored by the performance. We just received the Amber 3 DAC and I can't believe how well this little Lampizator performs like it's more expensive partners in the Lampi product line. I was also using the Aurender N-10 until we took delivery of our Aurender W20SE. You may be able to find a Used Golden Gate for a descent price.

No compatibility issues between the Aurender N-10 and the DAC2X

Same here, Lampi GG1. Ran my previous Lampi model with Aurender s10 for a short period sounded beautiful. Also have tried w20 into my GG

Reactions: Leif S

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Same here, Lampi GG1. Ran my previous Lampi model with Aurender s10 for a short period sounded beautiful. Also have tried w20 into my GG

And Marslo runs the Lampi Pacific with Aurender w20, and audioquattr also has the Lampi with the Aurender w20 and now the extreme. So a lot of Aurender owners with the Lampi there.

Reactions: marslo

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Two people I know well got the the DCS Bartok and are very happy with it, although they do not own Pass amplification. But as far as I could see the Stereophile test of the Bartok used Pass amplification - see: https://www.stereophile.com/content/dcs-bartok-da-processorheadphone-amplifier. Aurender is an usual pairing with DCS - we can find a recent review of the DCS Bartok carried with the N10 https://positive-feedback.com/reviews/hardware-reviews/dcs-bartok-dac/

But although it is selling pretty well according to dealers and distributors, the DCS Bartok can be hard to get in the used market.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Well, "a few words"...
The CDSA is good. The DA2 is better. Neither are in the Lampi league.
From what I hear, the lower priced Lampis are great values and perhaps should be explored?

Just so that the OP knows, Marty owned the DA2 before trying out the GG and then moving to Lampi nation

Reactions: Golum

fuscobal

Apr 8, 2020
Thanks for your inputs guys. Will consider GG2 as well since I see a used unit is in the same price range as DAC2X v2 (7-8K).

Reactions: christoph and Golum

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
We just received the Amber 3 DAC and I can't believe how well this little Lampizator performs like it's more expensive partners in the Lampi product line.
Actually I don’t know what Lukasz was thinking when throwing this one to market as it’s stupidly good for the money.
Glad to realize that despite all i’m not that deaf :D

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Thanks for your inputs guys. Will consider GG2 as well since I see a used unit is in the same price range as DAC2X v2 (7-8K).
GG2 would be a digital playback game changer...once you’re in you don’t look back..;)...and btw 7-8k is a phenomenal price

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
I love the Metrum Pavane and Adagio. Hard to beat for anywhere near the money.
Following his creations of the Metrum brand, Mr. Ruijtenberg has moved forward and the new Sonnet Morpheus dac is even a better-buy!

Reactions: musicfirst1

musicfirst1

VIP/Donor
Mar 8, 2015
Canada
www.musicfirstdistribution.ca
Following his creations of the Metrum brand, Mr. Ruijtenberg has moved forward and the new Sonnet Morpheus dac is even a better-buy!
Cees Ruijtenberg is one of the best unsung designers in audio IMHO..

Reactions: CKKeung

DeMarko

Mar 27, 2020
I'd add Lampizator Atlantic, especially TRP, and Lampizator Baltic to the list. Totally breathtaking.

TRP has an added benefit of easy tuning to a particular system/ room / preferences just by changing tubes / tube type sitting on top of the DAC. This easy tube tuning is very unusual and precious really once I experienced what it did.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I don't think 7-8k is a bang for the buck dac personally.

I'd try the Holo Kitsune for under 3k as a bang for the buck dac.

Last edited:
Reactions: lordcloud

DeMarko

Mar 27, 2020
I got two more bang for the buck ones if we go to lower price levels.

Lampizator Amber 2. WITH tube rectifier (my preference) but there was a non-tube version. Used to be under 3k even for the tube rectifier one.

BorderPatrol DAC SE. Under 2k and even 1k for a non-SE version, although I only heard SE. Unbelievable how much music is in that small box and at that price. No DSD, though. Great with both USB and RCA inputs.

fuscobal

Apr 8, 2020
I don't think 7-8k is a bang for the buck dac personally.

I'd try the Holo Kitsune for under 3k as a bang for the buck dac.

I'd say 7-8K is as bang for the buck compared to 25K as it's 3K compared to 8K. It's about how much I'd pay for a second hand unit in % from it's list price as new. DA2 is considerably more expensive than GG2 (new and used), which makes GG2 a great value if it's as good as you guys say. I am not not favorable to SS or Tube design, I just think a good design should sound well anyway. Only comparison I could make is in the headphone department where I owned a cheap chinese tube amp (BADA PH-12) that has now been replaced with the Benchmark HPA-4. On a critical listening level, Benchmark at 5 times the price beats it hands down (noise, dynamics, space between instruments...). However, the Benchmark is a little too clinical/digital/lifeless as compared to the old Bada that was very fluid and musical. I can't say the same thing about the CDSA however which I feel takes the best from both worlds !

Last edited:

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Does second hand count .
Mark levinson 360S DAC , easily beats the much later designs like Meittner MA2 Wadia 581 i players which i owned regarding detail retrivial , bass definition , natural sounding , rhytm , it simply makes digital not sound digital , which is the highest compliment in my view .

Last edited:

fuscobal

Apr 8, 2020
DAC2X v2 on its way. Lampizator GG2 may come in the future for a headphone only system with Benchmark HPA-4 as an amp and HD800 !

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing