Best (and Cheap!) under Amp Isolation?

kroslos

Feb 7, 2015
Naperivlle, IL
All,

I'm looking for some recommendations on isolating my Air Tight tube amps (ATM-2's Mono'ed). I'd prefer to stay away from mega-expensive "audiophile type" devices and go with something that accomplishes similar results without the large outlay of cash. I'm not sure if isolation, as opposed to coupling, is the best way to go; but I have a suspicion that it is. Due to the weight of the output transformers on my amps, they are quite heavy (approx 80 lbs each). So I would need to use something that can support a lot of weight. I'm currently using carbon blocks to support my line and phono stages - to somewhat effective results. My turntable is resting upon a 5" Maple Boo's Butcher block that's suspended upon three Nordost carbon/metal cones (not sure exactly which ones).

I'm not opposed to trying something that requires some DIY effort or shelling out a couple of hundred bucks.

Here's a picture of my set-up if this helps with suggestions....

IMG_0009.JPG

Thanks!
Kyle

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Wood blocks and Herbie's extra-firm iso-cups + balls (balls are made of various materials) are worth trying out ime.

Reactions: scericson

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
auralex gramma amp platform. Less than $100 each.
I use them under my ss and tube amps.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
IKEA laminated bamboo cutting boards or Carrara marble slabs are my traditional material of choice over hardwoods or granite tho would be happy to also explore delegnit (phenolic resin treated laminated birch) or tank wood etc as used in Kaiser Kawero speaker’s, turntable plinths plus maybe even some of the Taiko gear not to mention tanks, railway and truck carriages and fire resistant, bullet resistant structures.

Super tough and so a bit harder to work with.

leyenda

Mar 2, 2011
I would second the Auralex option. You can buy just to try if they work in your system or not, price of entry is reasonable. Alternatively, when I had the Airtight amp for a brief period of time I used the Taoc platform. I didnt compare it to any other platform when used with Airtight, however. The Taoc has a sound character that was very evident in all equipment I used with, on the darker side of neutral. A different but pricier option is the critical mass. It ended my eagerness to try this and that.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
One of my a'phile buddies uses an interesting solution...he uses Sound Anchor speaker stands ( the smallest ones) under his amps. Works very well and not particularly expensive. Plus they can easily handle a lot of weight.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
All,

I'm looking for some recommendations on isolating my Air Tight tube amps (ATM-2's Mono'ed). I'd prefer to stay away from mega-expensive "audiophile type" devices and go with something that accomplishes similar results without the large outlay of cash. I'm not sure if isolation, as opposed to coupling, is the best way to go; but I have a suspicion that it is. Due to the weight of the output transformers on my amps, they are quite heavy (approx 80 lbs each). So I would need to use something that can support a lot of weight. I'm currently using carbon blocks to support my line and phono stages - to somewhat effective results. My turntable is resting upon a 5" Maple Boo's Butcher block that's suspended upon three Nordost carbon/metal cones (not sure exactly which ones).

I'm not opposed to trying something that requires some DIY effort or shelling out a couple of hundred bucks.

View attachment 45253

Thanks!
Kyle

Killer Air Tight system, congrats. What speakers are you using? I second DaveyF's recommendation of Sound Anchor, world class looks and sound for less than most racking systems available today.

Huang

Dec 2, 2019
All,

View attachment 45253

Thanks!
Kyle
I made an amp stand out of a 2" thick walnut slab which I sawed in half. Before I rejoined the halves I augered out three 3/4" inch offset holes in each half. I packed the holes with sandbox sand and rejoined the halves. I am currently finishing it. It will sit on 5 SVS sub feet when I finish.

Attachments

• IMG_2554.jpeg
    IMG_2554.jpeg
    119.2 KB · Views: 23
Reactions: ICUToo

7ryder

Jan 31, 2015
Try wood platforms from Timbernation. I just picked up a pair of 3" thick platforms (painted black) for my Audionet Max monoblocks (each weigh about the same as your amps) and they work great. They'll also make the platforms to any size that you need.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing