Benz Micro LP S

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Ron, Sujay has posted above that he also prefers his zyx to his Stein modded Benz LPS

Reactions: Wokdwok

jackelsson

Dec 1, 2013
.de
Well, gentlemen, the ZYX might or might not be vastly superior to the LP-S in a given setup - but for me this is not the point. There is always so much to consider: tonearm matching, system synergies, musical taste, expectations how things should sound, etc.

In buying the LP-S for me the point was not the quest for *the* ultimate cartridge, something I doubt that it actually exists. It was more a wish to fill a certain "gap" in my setup, to find a cartridge that complements the other three cartridge setups running on my deck. And in the LP-S I think I found a cartridge that delivers exactly that in spades. It might not do everything, but what is does it does superbly. A huge soundstage that not only extends past but also in front of the speakers, loads of colour and timbre, a very lush and full bodied character and a very deep and profound bass.

It does this in a TW-Acustic 10.5 tonearm running into a Pass XP-25 at 1 kOhm. It might well be that these traits will not be so obvious or even present at all in a different setup. But here in my system the LP-S gives me exactly this and I cannot wait to hear how it will develop during further breaking in. :)

IMG_5904_Benz-LP-S_01_1000px.jpg

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA

It's really good to hear that you like your LPS MR so much. I am still amazed at what my old and long in the tooth Benz Ruby 2 can do. The LPS MR is a step-up over the Ruby 2, as such it must truly be a great cartridge. Since it is one of the very few cartridges that has somewhat adequate output voltage, which means I do not have to give up my tube phono stage, it remains high on my list for when I replace my Ruby 2. Whether it could compete against the latest designs from Zyx, Proteus and others, remains to be seen, but since they all are favoring paltry voltage output, right now the Benz remains a contender. Too bad the other manufacturer's cannot seem to produce a cartridge that is SOTA and also has decent output!

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
It's really good to hear that you like your LPS MR so much. I am still amazed at what my old and long in the tooth Benz Ruby 2 can do. The LPS MR is a step-up over the Ruby 2, as such it must truly be a great cartridge. Since it is one of the very few cartridges that has somewhat adequate output voltage, which means I do not have to give up my tube phono stage, it remains high on my list for when I replace my Ruby 2. Whether it could compete against the latest designs from Zyx, Proteus and other remains to be seen, but since they all are favoring paltry voltage output, right now the Benz remains a contender. Too bad the other manufacturer's cannot seem to produce a cartridge that is SOTA and also has decent output!

3 of the 4 Zyx's I heard were with tube phonos, one was an Ear where we did the 4d vs LPS MR compare.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
3 of the 4 Zyx's I heard were with tube phonos, one was an Ear where we did the 4d vs LPS MR compare.

Very interesting! Mehrad tells me that the Zyx's seem to put out a lot more output than their numbers suggest. While this is good news, I am very concerned to try one of these cartridges with my CAT preamp and discover it will elicit too much noise. Whilst I know that there are higher output versions of many of the Zyx models, I have been told by a a'phile friend whose ears that I trust, that the lower output versions are the only ones with the magic. Did you happen to notice how much further up the gain curve you had to go with the EAR when listening to the 4d vs the LPS MR to match levels?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Very interesting! Mehrad tells me that the Zyx's seem to put out a lot more output than their numbers suggest. While this is good news, I am very concerned to try one of these cartridges with my CAT preamp and discover it will elicit too much noise. Whilst I know that there are higher output versions of many of the Zyx models, I have been told by a a'phile friend whose ears that I trust, that the lower output versions are the only ones with the magic. Did you happen to notice how much further up the gain curve you had to go with the EAR when listening to the 4d vs the LPS MR to match levels?

No will check and if I find out will post

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Zyx give their output for 3.54 cm.s instead of others builders wich give it for 5 cm.s.so you must convert results

Not sure how you know this ( that others ( which others?) are measuring at 5 cm.s)? However, the Benz is measured at the same 3.54cm.s and still outputs 0.35mv, whereas the Zyx typically measure at 0.24mv. I suspect that the 0.11mv difference could be enough to push many tube phono stages into noise. Theoretically it is appx 1/3rd less output.

aztecgrad 63

Aug 9, 2017
I had been using Benz cartridges for years, taking advantage of the trade-in that Benz offered. About a year or so ago I switched to the Lyra Etna (.56) and have never looked back. Deeper bass, fast as lightning. and dynamic, big soundstage this
is a great cartridge. So, going from the Benz LP to the Lyra Etna was a major upgrade. I listen to classical and jazz vinyl. No digital.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I had been using Benz cartridges for years, taking advantage of the trade-in that Benz offered. About a year or so ago I switched to the Lyra Etna (.56) and have never looked back. Deeper bass, fast as lightning. and dynamic, big soundstage this
is a great cartridge. So, going from the Benz LP to the Lyra Etna was a major upgrade. I listen to classical and jazz vinyl. No digital.

I think it is not much of a stretch to imagine that the Lyra Etna would be better than the older design of the LPS MR; unfortunately, I think one also has to take into consideration the fairly large price differential.

jackelsson

Dec 1, 2013
.de
I had been using Benz cartridges for years, taking advantage of the trade-in that Benz offered. About a year or so ago I switched to the Lyra Etna (.56) and have never looked back. Deeper bass, fast as lightning. and dynamic, big soundstage this is a great cartridge. So, going from the Benz LP to the Lyra Etna was a major upgrade. I listen to classical and jazz vinyl. No digital.
The Etna really is an amazing cartridge. I once had the pleasure of being present at a comparison of four Lyra cartridges: Kleos, Kleos SL, Etna and Atlas side by side all mounted in one of four Kuzma 4Point tonearms on two Dr. Feickert Firebird turntables. This was quite an extraordinary experience, and it was hard to believe how big the step up from the Kleos SL to the Etna was.

Having said that if I really would consider one day to take a step up in the Lyra family, up from my Titan i, I would probably go the full way up to the Atlas which I found had this fascinating additional bit of realism and authority. But then again it is probably really a matter of taste which of these two to prefer.

And until then I live happily with what the Titan i delivers. And the LP-S just to get back to the topic of this thread… :)

IMG_5906_Benz-LP-S_03_1000px.jpg

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
Not sure how you know this ( that others ( which others?) are measuring at 5 cm.s)? However, the Benz is measured at the same 3.54cm.s and still outputs 0.35mv, whereas the Zyx typically measure at 0.24mv. I suspect that the 0.11mv difference could be enough to push many tube phono stages into noise. Theoretically it is appx 1/3rd less output.
Up until tonight, I have been using a LPS MR for the past 2 years and have loved it until I wacked the tonearm and it was never the same. I have an Aries 3D with a 12" 3D arm that seems to be quite sensitive with regard to the LPS.

About 90 minutes ago I started listening to my new ZYX Universe Premium, but I also had my tonearm wire upgraded to Nordost by VPI so it is hard to tell what is the cartridge and what is the wire. My phono stage is a Lamm LP2.1, but I get plenty of output, but not as much as with the LPS. Although it is too early to tell what the cartridge sounds like, I already hear what I consider superior midrange and articulation, and impressive soundstage improvement, but no bass yet.

I will keep you posted.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Up until tonight, I have been using a LPS MR for the past 2 years and have loved it until I wacked the tonearm and it was never the same. I have an Aries 3D with a 12" 3D arm that seems to be quite sensitive with regard to the LPS.

About 90 minutes ago I started listening to my new ZYX Universe Premium, but I also had my tonearm wire upgraded to Nordost by VPI so it is hard to tell what is the cartridge and what is the wire. My phono stage is a Lamm LP2.1, but I get plenty of output, but not as much as with the LPS. Although it is too early to tell what the cartridge sounds like, I already hear what I consider superior midrange and articulation, and impressive soundstage improvement, but no bass yet.

I will keep you posted.

Russ, the different tone arm wire is going to make a large difference in the SQ.
Can you mount your LPSMR on the same tonearm. That would be instructive.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Russ, since I like the LP S-MR very much, and I also like the ZYX UNIverse Premium I will be interested in your report!

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Russ, please tell us your further thoughts comparing the LP-S MR to the ZYX UNIverse Premium.

TUBEY

Mar 31, 2016
One of the Benz Micro press releases refers to improvements in the LP S.

November 2014 press release: http://benzcartridges.com/benz-micro-update/

". . . advances in design and materials, have resulted in new Benz-Micro models that surpass all previous versions in music reproduction."

I just don't know what that means or how, if at all, these improvements make the new LP S different from the old LP S.

Although a bit late in replying, and without being 100% sure, I think that after the LP the LP-S started as a heavier version with brass chassis instead of aluminum and with Gyger S stylus.
The latest LP-S has micro-ridge stylus instead of Gyger S,and perhaps lower mass coils.
Indeed there is some confusion but in Europe, all models are available as always,and not just the LP-S,RUBY Z & Gullwing.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing