Ballfinger vs Mataxas vs Analog Audio Design

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
Has anyone seen and heard products from the 3 companies currently making new R2R machines?

Curious to know how they compare from those who have experienced these companies’ products.

Last edited:

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
I seem to recall a recent story about Audio Analog getting U.S. distribution. I will see if I can find it but I have not heard these recent decks outside of United Home Audio.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Has anyone seen and heard products from the 3 companies currently making new R2R machines?

Curious to know how they compare from those who have experienced these companies’ products.
Brian Tucker is the US AAD importer.

PRO AUDIO LTD (U.S. DISTRIBUTOR)
Brian Tucker
proaudio@comcast.net
(847) 561-4008

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
I searched the internet and got a price of 10K Euros for the Analogue Audio Design TR-1000 playback only, and 13K Euros for record/playback from an article in Dave Denyer's Reel to Reel Rambler from December, 2021. This appears to be a wholesale or initial retail price, so the price probably is higher. It is still quite a bit lower than the Ballfinger, much, much lower than the Metaxas, which both offer playback only and record/playback versions. All three look like they are new machines and not rebuilt from existing machines.

Given the different distribution/dealers, I think it would be difficult to directly compare the three machines. Hopefully it will be possible.

Larry

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
The Ballfinger M002P retail price is about 14K EUR + VAT.

Leaving aside the looks, the Metaxas build quality seems subpar relative to the price. But I haven’t seen one so it’s just from looking at videos. I generally don’t like bearings or wheels secured by visible screws. But I don’t want to take away from the fact that it’s great to have a new R2R machine available in the first place.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing