Bachtoven's System

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015
My B&W 803D3 speakers arrived yesterday--wow! The transparency and details are astounding.

1626190338781.png

Andrew S.

Mar 20, 2021
Hobart, Tasmania
Congratulations on a wonderful system - I bet it sounds terrific.

The B & W 803D is a very highly regarded speaker - as I've never heard one (the larger B&W's haven't been part of my education - seen a few in dealers shops, never heard any going) - may I ask what else did you have a think about and/or auditioned? or were you really happily with B&W and decided to stay within brand?

Does the Mac have an integrated phono? or is that something else I see on the second shelf (though it might be the psu for the VPI - if they have such things).

Where have you put the sub? Not sure I can spot it in the photo. Have you dialed in the XO, or are you happy with the 803 w/o sub: I imagine they play plenty deep by themselves.

Hope you enjoy many, many hours of happy listening.

Reactions: Addicted to hifi

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015
I went in intending to buy Martin Logan Impression 11a's, but I far preferred the B&W's. They sounded more natural and just as detailed.

Yes, the Mc has has integrated MM/MC phono stage. The little black box is the Chord Qutest DAC. (It sounds way better than the built-in DAC.)

Oops...I forgot to remove the sub from my signature! No, the B&W's don't need more bass.

Thank you!

Reactions: Andrew S.

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015
Do you mean than in the Esoteric?

Thanks for your detailed reply - very interesting.
No, better than in the McIntosh. The Esoteric's DAC is limited to 96k...I have lots of DSD files.

I also considered Vivid Audio Kaya 45s, but I think the B&Ws have better bass, similar transparency, and my wife thought the Kaya 45s looked a little funky based on pictures!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I went in intending to buy Martin Logan Impression 11a's, but I far preferred the B&W's. They sounded more natural and just as detailed.

Yes, the Mc has has integrated MM/MC phono stage. The little black box is the Chord Qutest DAC. (It sounds way better than the built-in DAC.)

Oops...I forgot to remove the sub from my signature! No, the B&W's don't need more bass.

Thank you!
Congrats! I see you also have the 800S headphones. As a big fan of Sennheiser for over 20 years...thinking about the 800S as well as they are now widely available demo/2nd hand. Thanks for any advice on how they compare with others you considered!

Reactions: Andrew S.

Andrew S.

Mar 20, 2021
Hobart, Tasmania
thinking about the 800S as well as they are now widely available demo/2nd hand. Thanks for any advice on how they compare with others you considered!

Seconded. I would love to know how they pair as well. Is there a hp output on the McIntosh? Or do you use a separate hp amplifier?

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015
A part of me wanted to ask where the other three speakers are. :p

Hope these B&W bring you many years of satisfied listening. What is the probable next purchase, DAC?
Thank you. No, the Chord DAC is quite new, too, and I love it. I might go back to a tube amp at some point, possibly an Ayon Audio Triton EVO.

Reactions: rando

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015
Congrats! I see you also have the 800S headphones. As a big fan of Sennheiser for over 20 years...thinking about the 800S as well as they are now widely available demo/2nd hand. Thanks for any advice on how they compare with others you considered!
They are extraordinarily transparent and detailed, but not as etched as the original 800 model. I only compared them to some high-end Grados (I forgot the model, but they had aluminum ear cups), and the 800s were much more transparent and less colored.

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015
Seconded. I would love to know how they pair as well. Is there a hp output on the McIntosh? Or do you use a separate hp amplifier?
I use the McIntosh hp output--sounds fine!

Reactions: Addicted to hifi

The Knife

Nov 13, 2020
Stockholm, Sweden

Thank you!
Interesting. I choose between the D3s and the ML 11, and in the end opted for the ML. I had other MLs in the past and guess I just are very used to their sound signature. I also feel the MLs are easier to live with in an apartment. They don’t have the same impact on walls etc. Given their construction. I.e I can play louder with the MLs without causing my neighbours to much pain. But the D3s are great! Congrats!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing