Axpona Coverage now on TAS Facebook and TAS Website!

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
I just had our team test the website link on both windows and mac and they encountered no issues in viewing the content on the website when logged off Facebook. I then tested it myself on my iPad Pro and encountered no issues.

Have you considered driving eyeballs from Facebook to the TAS Web site rather than the other way around? Once on Facebook do you retain 100% ownership of your content? Is it sponsors preferring one versus the other? Developers? I'm curious about the business case for choosing one as primary. I assume many corp. are faced with similar questions.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Interesting comment Tim. I have been creating video for a line of power products I have come out with. In order for people to understand the whole of what I am doing, I feel video is necessary. But that to me means dumping video on YouTube and providing links.

Or does it. Is whatsbest a media platform to host video content. And what sort of exposure does that get compared to YouTube. Where does the metadata of either venue provide greater reach to the market.

And what do you mean by ownership. My understanding is the owners of whatsbest own any content I have on their site. I own nothing.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Have you considered driving eyeballs from Facebook to the TAS Web site rather than the other way around? Once on Facebook do you retain 100% ownership of your content? Is it sponsors preferring one versus the other? Developers? I'm curious about the business case for choosing one as primary. I assume many corp. are faced with similar questions.
Yes, of course. We post on Facebook because I can do it on the fly while moving around at the show. I need a webmaster to post content on our website. We also have 400K visitors a month on Facebook and 300K visitors a month on the website.

Reactions: tima

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Interesting comment Tim. I have been creating video for a line of power products I have come out with. In order for people to understand the whole of what I am doing, I feel video is necessary. But that to me means dumping video on YouTube and providing links.

Or does it. Is whatsbest a media platform to host video content. And what sort of exposure does that get compared to YouTube. Where does the metadata of either venue provide greater reach to the market.

And what do you mean by ownership. My understanding is the owners of whatsbest own any content I have on their site. I own nothing.
In most ways, ownership doesn’t matter. It is all about reach, impressions, and storyline.

davidavdavid

Jun 30, 2014
Columbus, Ohio, USA
david.com
I just had our team test the website link on both windows and mac and they encountered no issues in viewing the content on the website when logged off Facebook. I then tested it myself on my iPad Pro and encountered no issues.
Lee, that may be fine and well, I have no idea of your team's testing and QA "quality assurance" protocols all I am reporting off is my testing on 3 separate machines each running. Chrome, Firefox Edge, Safari, and Opera running and not running VPN software and everything I outlined above was/is the case. And since most users living in their respective browser worlds are running a whole assortment of extensions for the purpose of security, access (VPN/tunneling), ad-blocking, translation, etc ... I can only surmise that they are testing the site using vanilla configurations on their browsers, which is fine, it just does not mirror the real world. And as I stated, running a vanilla iteration of the Opera browser without running the integrated VPN software made it possible for me to view the Facebook feed without having to log into Facebook as a registered user.

It is not a big issue, just an Internet reality that nothing is truly cut-and-dry anymore. TAS cannot test for everything, nobody can, so from most people on WBF now know that if they run into such obstacles how they can open a different browser and view the desired content.

Reactions: Al M.

facten

Feb 13, 2022
Tennessee
As a TAS subscriber I usually look forward to show reports in subsequent issues. Maybe I am in the minority but I do not expect to be provided with live on the spot show reports via whatever method , so what they attempted was gratis bonus coverage, and I found it to work . I don't understand the static directed towards Lee and TAS for something that frankly he/they didn't really need to be even doing.

Reactions: Lee and tima

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest

Hi - I mean once content is posted on a site or forum, does the poster have the ability to deny outsider edit functions? Can the poster remove content they posted? Particularly when posted content is paid content, such as an advertisement, I'm guessing there is a contractual agreement. This is a huge area and IANAL.

There may be other sorts of issues. If you posted a video on how to wire an XYZ and the hosting site claimed what you posted is incorrect and thus so-called 'disinformation'. That would seem to be a liability for you. How is something like that handled between the host and the poster.

But this is going way off topic and I will not say further on things such as ownership.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
As a TAS subscriber I usually look forward to show reports in subsequent issues. Maybe I am in the minority but I do not expect to be provided with live on the spot show reports via whatever method , so what they attempted was gratis bonus coverage, and I found it to work . I don't understand the static directed towards Lee and TAS for something that frankly he/they didn't really need to be even doing.

Facten, I like this point.

I remember trying to do same-day show coverage and it was ... it was challenging, to gather photos and manufacturer commentary during the day then organize that into multiple reports, then submit it for editing, then doing the technical work to get it on the Web. Three days in a row - without mistakes. Largely in an effort to 'be first' or at least compete with other publications doing the same thing. Fewer and fewer publications and larger forums are continuing this 'tradition'.

Using existing publishing infrastructure such as Lee describes makes the task much easier - such as the browser differences and compatibilities mentioned above, that alone is a time consumer. Of course doing so establishes yet another site to manage and keep up to date, if it is taken beyond just show coverage. I assume TAS has a permanent/semi-pemanent presence on Facebook. It's the 'man with two watches never really knows what time it is' problem of maintaing and trying to keep in sync two data repositories.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
I think there is value in sharing product information in real time. First, for shows, it gives the reader or viewer a better sense of being at the show. Second, the videos and photographs can break news. We broke the new of the new Ref 320Ms by interviewing Trent Suggs at Audio Research.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The first rule of marketing is not to post a link that requires login to a site that many do not use. Which is what unfortunately you did above, Lee, in your opening post.

The link I posted does not require a log in.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
The link I posted does not require a log in.

Yes, it worked for me at the time from computer, thanks. But I just tried it on the phone, and a login page popped up. Oh well.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing