Axpona 24’ Mike Lavigne pics

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I will say this for Wilson. They know hoe to run a demo. IMO even their source material is excellent.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Great pics of so many great rooms at the show and thanks for posting, Mike. I loved those Confidence 60’s. Just curious: did you have a chance to hear the big Scott Walker room with the Ideon stack and J-M-F- mono blocks and pre driving the new Estelon speakers? I think that was maybe the best room I’d heard.
looks like for whatever reason i missed that room. give me a room number and i will take another look. i did try to at least poke my head in each room to see whether it was worth listening to. but some rooms had closed doors or were working on something and no music, or it was too loud at that time. to get done what i did i had to keep moving.

at Axpona 2022 i returned to the J-M-F/Ideon room 5 or 6 times. and at CAF 23' was in the Ideon 3 times. i wanted to get the measure of that gear and liked both the Ideon and the J-M-F. i did hear and like the other big Estelon/Vitus room.

Last edited:
Reactions: KrellFan1

mxk116

Mar 24, 2022
i enjoyed Axpona 2024. i had a great time and i'm glad i went.

good enough to be positively memorable---i liked it.

-1229--Amphion/TEAC
Across the hall (Room 1230) Amphion + Esoteric Integrated + Esoteric streamer + Playback Distribution TT, also sounded wonderful. A smaller system set up with care. One that kind of beckoned me to stick around a little longer. Amphion is completely new to me and I was happy to spend sometime there.

IMG_2942.jpeg

On the same floor (Room 1210) darTZeel America + Stenheim Alumine 3 (?) + customized TT/tonearm with darTZeel cartridge. Another "smaller" system sounding wonderfully musical and engaging.

IMG_2972.jpeg

AudioHR

VIP/Donor
Feb 11, 2023
High River, Alberta Canada
Across the hall (Room 1230) Amphion + Esoteric Integrated + Esoteric streamer + Playback Distribution TT, also sounded wonderful. A smaller system set up with care. One that kind of beckoned me to stick around a little longer. Amphion is completely new to me and I was happy to spend sometime there.

View attachment 128980

On the same floor (Room 1210) darTZeel America + Stenheim Alumine 3 (?) + customized TT/tonearm with darTZeel cartridge. Another "smaller" system sounding wonderfully musical and engaging.

View attachment 128981

View attachment 128980

View attachment 128981
" More curiosity, less judgement " what a novel idea!

Nice pictures and comments too.

Reactions: mxk116

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
I wasn't able to get out and see very many rooms at all. The ones I did visit sounded generally good. Lots of people have commented that the overall "average" sound at the show has improved. I remember 2022 when practically everyone thought everything there sounded pretty bad. Maybe it is taking a few years past covid for everyone to get back in the groove.

Lot of nice pictures of the rooms. Thanks for taking the extra time to do the work.

tony22

Nov 4, 2019

View attachment 128980

View attachment 128981
I also liked the Amphion room. New to me as well. Those Stenheims were the 3SE.

Reactions: mxk116

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I wasn't able to get out and see very many rooms at all. The ones I did visit sounded generally good. Lots of people have commented that the overall "average" sound at the show has improved. I remember 2022 when practically everyone thought everything there sounded pretty bad. Maybe it is taking a few years past covid for everyone to get back in the groove.

It must have to do with something other than Covid. I was at AXPONA 2017 and the overall sound was pretty bad, with only a few high quality standouts. Glad to hear people got their act together. Maybe the power delivery system has improved as well.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
It must have to do with something other than Covid. I was at AXPONA 2017 and the overall sound was pretty bad, with only a few high quality standouts. Glad to hear people got their act together. Maybe the power delivery system has improved as well.
It’s also a different hotel vs 2017. Generally room treatment is much more prevalent than 5-10 years ago at shows. Also, tons of vinyl vs poor Wi-Fi setups. Accuphase even used a new cdp for you Al

Reactions: AudioHR

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Mike, thanks for posting and for your summary. Nice to see lots of gear was noted from “good enough” to “stand out”… I think this speaks well for the hobby. System matching of course is key, but lots of choices for the hobbiest. Not everyone is chasing the grail, many just want to assemble an awesome rig for their budget.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
MORE AXPONA COVERAGE

Reactions: Rexp

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com

Lot of nice pictures of the rooms. Thanks for taking the extra time to do the work.
It can take a lot of time to figure out how to tame some of these hotel spaces particularly when you have very limited time . I know in my case it took assembling a team so that we had the resources and the time to fix some serious problems. We still can't fix even most of them but we have gotten better and therefore better results. Please remember that most of us only get Thursday to unpack and set up the gear that has been shipped and handled over a two week period before we get to it. I applaude everyone that works their asses off to give the patrons a good show and hopefully some good sound. I never made it in your room.

Last edited:

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
It can take a lot of time to figure out how to tame some of these hotel spaces particularly when you have very limited time . I know in my case it took assembling a team so that we had the resources and the time to fix some serious problems. We still can't fix even most of them but we have gotten better and therefore better results. Please remember that most of us only get Thursday to unpack and set up the gear that has been shipped and handled over a two week period before we get to it. I applaude everyone that works their asses off to give the patrons a good show and hopefully some good sound. It was nice seeing you Todd even though I never made it in your room.
Agree 100% with you. It is tough setting up a room. I don't think most attendees can comprehend the challenge. (But they don't have to). I went to sleep at 2:00am on Thursday night. Got up at 6:00am so I could get back to put some finishing touches on everything. That was with a team of Angie's people working on the various parts of 3 rooms.

Certainly an advantage of having the same room year after year is that we can learn from this year and apply that to next year. For example, if I setup the speakers in that room next year it will not be on that carpet. Carpet sucks. It is very hard to move the speakers and they sink unevenly into it over the course of the show. I had to make a substantial adjustment the speakers each morning and make a small adjustment in the afternoon.

We also learned that some of the plugs in the same room are on different circuits. Ground loop yuck.

Sorry I didn't get a chance to visit your room Elliot. I wanted to hear the Goebel with your new tube gear. Maybe next year.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
It’s also a different hotel vs 2017.

Aah, different power too, then. I guess a main, though not the only, reason for bad sound at shows is when the power delivery capacity in the venue is severely limited while most vendors use big power-sucking amps.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Generally room treatment is much more prevalent than 5-10 years ago at shows. Also, tons of vinyl vs poor Wi-Fi setups. Accuphase even used a new cdp for you Al

Good point about poor streaming. The vendor at T.H.E. Show last year where I bought my speakers (PranaFidelity) used tape, vinyl and CD. All three sources sounded excellent. No streaming.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Power distribution of hotels needs to be understood
for one the typical small rooms the vast majority of rooms at shows
Rooms are done to nec code and very little separate circuits to have
each bathroom is most likely its own circuit
so my advise is use a heavy duty ext cord
Next the room has an outlet for fridge and coffee maker
This while not seperate always is middle of the room on right side of door entry if it swings in right hand hinge rarely are there used so it should be tried
as for larger rooms multiple circuits is provided
But this also can be attached to some large rooms on each side.
if I were to show in any rooms I would ask maintenance to come and give advice on Circuits used and panel fed from.
I don’t see panels most times but there must be 2 or more per floor if it’s a long hallway.
many rooms.

Reactions: Mike Lavigne

KrellFan1

Mar 15, 2023
Phoenix, AZ
looks like for whatever reason i missed that room. give me a room number and i will take another look. i did try to at least poke my head in each room to see whether it was worth listening to. but some rooms had closed doors or were working on something and no music, or it was too loud at that time. to get done what i did i had to keep moving.

at Axpona 2022 i returned to the J-M-F/Ideon room 5 or 6 times. and at CAF 23' was in the Ideon 3 times. i wanted to get the measure of that gear and liked both the Ideon and the J-M-F. i did hear and like the other big Estelon/Vitus room.
There is definite magic going in with the Ideon digital gear. Heck, their DAC weighs in at 60+ pounds which speaks to its build quality and obsession with multiple power supplies. As for the Scott Walker room featuring the J-M-F- mino blocks w Ideon stack and the Estelon speakers they were in the Journey 1 room. Synergistic Research was hyping their Vibarton in that room which I found interesting. I’ve got a few pics I’m attaching here.

Attachments

• 202F3724-3891-4C84-8562-6C9B2122067D.jpeg
    202F3724-3891-4C84-8562-6C9B2122067D.jpeg
    535.7 KB · Views: 24
  • F93D64C1-57A0-4574-A00A-81C1E4F388A3.jpeg
    F93D64C1-57A0-4574-A00A-81C1E4F388A3.jpeg
    395.3 KB · Views: 21

T Boost

VIP/Donor
Jul 21, 2018
Canada
Reactions: Jerome Sabbagh

T Boost

VIP/Donor
Jul 21, 2018
Canada

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com

• Haha
Reactions: T Boost and Bobvin

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing