Avengers 4: Endgame - Trailer

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I agree about The Green Book but you are mixing my points. That is not what I said

As far as Roma I respectfully disagree.

When you get down to it the cost of making the Avengers End Game was $350M plus another $150M to distribute the film. With all of the salaries of those Superheroes as well as all of the special effects it was a huge cost. Yet there have been movies that cost more than this one and made less money

A few of the Superheroes are darn good actors and others are ok actors but the salaries they are paid to star in these are ginormous. So it then comes down to return on investment which is the Disney bottom line.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
? https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most_expensive_films

We never know exactly all the costs involved for each movie, it's always an approximative figure. Hollywood movie studios are full of secrets; it's an underworld...similar to drug cartels and corruption companies.

Those extravagant costs of several hundred of millions per film don't reflect any artistic value.
They are just that, financial investments.

I was humorous; both Green Book and Roma won't celebrate anniversaries by being re-released in theaters for their 10th, 20th, 30th, 40th, 50th, 60th, 80th, 100th, ...anniversary.
They dont have the high "panache" as films like Gone with the Wind, Apocalypse Now, Star Wars, Alien, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Blade Runner, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Titanic, Ben-Hur, Grease, Ghostbusters, Twilight, The Rocky Horror Picture Show, Steel Magnolias, The Lord of the Rings trilogy, The Hobbit trilogy, The Matrix, Terminator 2: Judgement Day, Jurassic Park, Schindler's List, Back to the Future trilogy, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Jaws, The Wizard of Oz, The Dark Knight trilogy, Yellow Submarine, The Little Mermaid, Singing in the Rain, Lady and the Tramp, The Aristocats, The Lion King, Godzilla, King Kong, Rear Window, Top Gun, Halloween, Cruel Intentions, Harry Potter saga, Big, Akira, Avatar, Cinema Paradiso, ...and many many many more.

But what do I know; everything's possible...even with Roma.

• A list of just few: https://www.bhg.com/news/these-classic-movies-are-coming-back-to-theaters/

I've said it before; buy Disney shares...they are a good investment for your great great grand children.

"The tracking site Box Office Guru estimates that Endgame will surpass Avatar around May 20, with a final global tally of $3 billion."

? http://www.boxofficeguru.com/

"What is the global trajectory for Avengers: Endgame? It may end the week at roughly $2.35 billion thru Thursday, then rise to around $2.55 billion after the third weekend. On or about May 20th is when Endgame should surpass Avatar's all-time $2.78 billion record. A final global tally of nearly $3 billion is likely."

Last edited:

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Just saw the movie in IMAX 3D. Aside from the fact that it was a bit of a bladder challenge, it was an enjoyable movie but I also found it over-the-top in a not so good way. What had me shaking my head was that the movie was obviously crafted by Hollywood in a way that seemed to be shaped for the times we live in. Everything just seemed to hit you over the head to the point of numbness. Is this in response to our highly charged political climate? Global tension that seem to be escalating every day? Suffering on an unprecedented scale worldwide? Rising oceans that threaten thousands imminently? Whatever the issues are, it just seems like that to get our attention, the movie has to be made with the same spectacularity in order to just get our attention. It sure wasn't a movie whose plot was very deep or nuanced. To be honest, I didn't understand some of it but I'm not a Marvel guru so I probably missed some stuff. I did however get a kick out of the fact that Thor showed up as a fatso and that I could easily spot the Stan Lee cameo. But one has to wonder, is high flying action and great special effects enough to make a great movie? I think you know the answer. It does however make for a big box office movie. But in the end, it's mostly meh. One can only wonder, what will they think of next to top this one? Oh, one bonus for the day was that I got to see the coming attractions for the Lion King which looked great. (It will be directed by Jon Favreau. Should be good.)

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I have no idea what you’re going on about Marty. Again, if you haven’t seen the majority of movies, EVERYTHING will be out of context. Even a comic reader would be a bit lost without the movies. This is part 2, of the Infinity saga, and part 22 of a series.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
I have no idea what you’re going on about Marty. Again, if you haven’t seen the majority of movies, EVERYTHING will be out of context. Even a comic reader would be a bit lost without the movies. This is part 2, of the Infinity saga, and part 22 of a series.
That's true for every series. But shouldn't every individual movie be able to stand on its own? You didn't need to see Godfather I appreciate Godfather II. I'm just saying it was so over the top it was numbing, To be honest, I fell asleep in the middle. I realize I'm in the minority here.

Reactions: bonzo75

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
That's true for every series. But shouldn't every individual movie be able to stand on its own? You didn't need to see Godfather I appreciate Godfather II. I'm just saying it was so over the top it was numbing, To be honest, I fell asleep in the middle. I realize I'm in the minority here.

Don't you listen to your system between 11pm and 2am? You shouldn't do that the day before watching the Avengers

Reactions: marty

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA

No, not in this case.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Just saw the movie in IMAX 3D. Aside from the fact that it was a bit of a bladder challenge, it was an enjoyable movie but I also found it over-the-top in a not so good way. What had me shaking my head was that the movie was obviously crafted by Hollywood in a way that seemed to be shaped for the times we live in. Everything just seemed to hit you over the head to the point of numbness. Is this in response to our highly charged political climate? Global tension that seem to be escalating every day? Suffering on an unprecedented scale worldwide? Rising oceans that threaten thousands imminently? Whatever the issues are, it just seems like that to get our attention, the movie has to be made with the same spectacularity in order to just get our attention. It sure wasn't a movie whose plot was very deep or nuanced. To be honest, I didn't understand some of it but I'm not a Marvel guru so I probably missed some stuff. I did however get a kick out of the fact that Thor showed up as a fatso and that I could easily spot the Stan Lee cameo. But one has to wonder, is high flying action and great special effects enough to make a great movie? I think you know the answer. It does however make for a big box office movie. But in the end, it's mostly meh. One can only wonder, what will they think of next to top this one? Oh, one bonus for the day was that I got to see the coming attractions for the Lion King which looked great. (It will be directed by Jon Favreau. Should be good.)

That was a good take Marty; I've read it yesterday and it made me think.

* Those films are based on comic books; and the readers of those comic books are probably the biggest fans, and what made those movies very popular and profitable.

Me I wasn't a comic book reader. I looked @ those films from a different perspective.
But perhaps realistically for what they are the same for the reader fans; superheroes saving the world from all the villains. ...And everything that comes with it...kaboom and flying over skyscrapers over New York City and Los Angeles.

It's an exorcism of the visual CGI and sound effect senses. ...With vibrant color explosions and the nicest outfits designed by the best wardrobe artists in the business department of entertainment here in America and abroad in the entire world of kids who dream of a better world.

We love high entertainment, all kids. And Avengers series is high on that plateau.
The last two of the four...Infinity War and Endgame (they really go together by the way, you cannot separate them...ask any serious fans), they are rated very high by the majority of film critics...all film sites and professional movie reviewers from the largest and most respectable sources...from Washington to New York to San Francisco to Montreal to Vancouver to London to Paris to Bangkok to every and all part of the globe. It is a universal phenomena with all kids.

So I understand how sophisticated mature adults can feel about it all, in particular without having seen Infinity War first, and also the other Avengers before.
It's like Harry Potter saga, Star Wars saga, Lord of the Rings books, The Hobbit books, ...etc.

I agree; Endgame on its own (I didn't see it yet, and my preferred visual format is 3D), is not like a single film people can enjoy on its own...just no way. ...Like Green Book for example, or Roma, or Cold War, or Avatar, or even Mad Max: Fury Road which has three previous films preceding it on that Mad Max Australian desert saga. ...Or the musical La La Land, or Bohemian Rhapsody, or the classic The Sound of Music, Singin' in the Rain, Gone With the Wind, The Wizard of Oz, Lawrence of Arabia, Casablanca, Citizen Kane, etc.

We're (our kids) a different culture...Marvel and DC comic superheroes culture...Disneyland.
We adapt, even professional movie reviewers.

I enjoy them for what they are, some more than others with the acting and stories around their CGI decors and flying sounds and superhuman and superwoman favorite comic book heroes.

For the advancement in intellectual mind they reflect today's culture in the movie business...zero.
Fans they'd gang up and press my head against concrete with their feet for being such honest.
But for pure adrenaline frivolous of exorcising your senses with out of this real world values it's an escape route better than many many others.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I am shocked ... :eek:
https://www.screendaily.com/news/po...-endgame-to-top-uk-box-office/5139304.article

... not really. :D * He's pretty cute...Sherlock ^

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Just some analyst number predictions of where Endgame might end up relative to Avatar:
https://theweek.com/speedreads/8411...tar-possible--but-not-lock--after-3rd-weekend

As it stands right now after three weekends Avengers: Endgame has made $2.49 billion worldwide (unadjusted).

And this review (one of the lowest score ratings but realistic; a C+):
http://www.oneguysopinion.com/avengers-endgame/?

His last paragraph reads apropos from the opinions expressed here by some.
I like his review overall.

Last edited:

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
That was a good take Marty; I've read it yesterday and it made me think.

* Those films are based on comic books; and the readers of those comic books are probably the biggest fans, and what made those movies very popular and profitable.

Me I wasn't a comic book reader. I looked @ those films from a different perspective.
But perhaps realistically for what they are the same for the reader fans; superheroes saving the world from all the villains. ...And everything that comes with it...kaboom and flying over skyscrapers over New York City and Los Angeles.

It's an exorcism of the visual CGI and sound effect senses. ...With vibrant color explosions and the nicest outfits designed by the best wardrobe artists in the business department of entertainment here in America and abroad in the entire world of kids who dream of a better world.

We love high entertainment, all kids. And Avengers series is high on that plateau.
The last two of the four...Infinity War and Endgame (they really go together by the way, you cannot separate them...ask any serious fans), they are rated very high by the majority of film critics...all film sites and professional movie reviewers from the largest and most respectable sources...from Washington to New York to San Francisco to Montreal to Vancouver to London to Paris to Bangkok to every and all part of the globe. It is a universal phenomena with all kids.

So I understand how sophisticated mature adults can feel about it all, in particular without having seen Infinity War first, and also the other Avengers before.
It's like Harry Potter saga, Star Wars saga, Lord of the Rings books, The Hobbit books, ...etc.

I agree; Endgame on its own (I didn't see it yet, and my preferred visual format is 3D), is not like a single film people can enjoy on its own...just no way. ...Like Green Book for example, or Roma, or Cold War, or Avatar, or even Mad Max: Fury Road which has three previous films preceding it on that Mad Max Australian desert saga. ...Or the musical La La Land, or Bohemian Rhapsody, or the classic The Sound of Music, Singin' in the Rain, Gone With the Wind, The Wizard of Oz, Lawrence of Arabia, Casablanca, Citizen Kane, etc.

We're (our kids) a different culture...Marvel and DC comic superheroes culture...Disneyland.
We adapt, even professional movie reviewers.

I enjoy them for what they are, some more than others with the acting and stories around their CGI decors and flying sounds and superhuman and superwoman favorite comic book heroes.

For the advancement in intellectual mind they reflect today's culture in the movie business...zero.
Fans they'd gang up and press my head against concrete with their feet for being such honest.
But for pure adrenaline frivolous of exorcising your senses with out of this real world values it's an escape route better than many many others.

Good thoughtful comments Bob. Thanks
BTW, I certainly wouldn't give it a C+! More like a solid B to B+. It certainly was a technical tour de force.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Marvel film fans are not just comic book readers. Many people started reading comics because of them, so the opposite was more true. People that follow how they’re connected got hooked. My mother’s friend has never read a comic in her life, loves the movies, and now my mother likes them, too.

But I often have to explain things to my mother who isn’t as good at keeping track of all the stuff... I get questions from her on these movies. And Thanos was Thay-knos for a year.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I was more referring to the "true" Marvel fans, in the truest sense of the term. ...Like fans of Lord of the Rings books, ...
_____

This 22nd Marvel flick is quite a celebration...all across the globe...as big as was Avatar ten years ago. It is truly fascinating the last decade on all the Marvel flicks...since Iron Man (2008).
The numbers too are mind-boggling.

Box office performance

"The Marvel Cinematic Universe films are the highest grossing film franchise of all time worldwide, both unadjusted and adjusted-for-inflation, having grossed over $21.1 billion at the global box office. Several of it's sub series such as the Avengers, Iron Man, Captain America and Thor film series are among the most successful superhero film series of all time."

That's 22 films for $21,144,037,505 billion! ...Or averaging $1 billion per each film.
20190514_120322.jpg
20190514_120412.jpg
20190514_114104.jpg
20190514_112312.jpg

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Me, I think it will surpass Avatar (unadjusted for inflation), @ number 1 spot.
And adjusted for inflation, it will reach number 5 spot, above The Sound of Music and below Star Wars.

Endgame has an 81 rating @ MRQE. That's an average from several sources.

Black Panther has the top rating from Rotten Tomatoes and Metacritic of all Marvel flicks, 97 and 88 respectively. Endgame is also well rated from those two sources (several reviews), with 95 and 78 respectively.

Which movie has the best value intellectually between Endgame and Avatar?
First you need to take into account Infinity War, because it goes with Endgame.

That I let others answer it. I'm not into starting a new war.
It's like asking do you like more Mozart or Chopin.
...Italian food or Thai.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The onion review of Avengers Ultron

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Avengers: Endgame has slow down considerably from its opening weekend.
Well, that was quite exceptional. A lot of speculation is shared online as to if it will surpass or not Avatar in total gross revenues worldwide @ the box office, before adjusted for inflation.
Last time I've checked it was within roughly $105 million from Avatar.

I'm curious as to what WBF members here think if it will achieve that goal or not?

Best cheers,

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Is Hulk a forum moderator, he turns green when angry with the bad guys

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing