audioquattr system, from A to Z

audioquattr

VIP/Donor
Sep 7, 2016
Netherlands
My first big high-end system (2001) was around Amati (SF) speakers and today the Zeta (Cessaro). So from A to Z ;-).

I got several people asking me about more details of the system so i like to share these in this thread. Here is my main system in a dedicated room of our house.

p1 roomv.jpg

The room is part of our monumental house (1879) which we totally renovated in 2012/2013.

Before we started that project we decided to create a dedicated music room. So from start of the house renovation i could take into account all what's needed for the room.

That is a very solid floor, big isolated walls with sandwhich of 22cm stone than 6cm foam than 5cm rockwool and finally 12mm fermacel. We also made (40cm deep) spaces in the walls (behind the 2 left and 2 right screens) which are used for SMT diffusors 60%, a little bit absorbtion (10%) and woofer sytems. In the backwall are spaces used for bassabsorbers. Also the space above the speakers is partly used for bassabsorbers. Under that, behind the acoustical transparent videoscreen there is a big wooden diffusor.

Offcourse powerlines are separated and straight from the first fusebox in the house. Just one for audio and another for power turntablemotors etc separated also different lines for video etc.

p2 aq CesZ 2.jpg

The room is mostly used for listening and sometimes for watching films or sport in the weekend.
p4 aq CesZ3.jpg

I also can do some work there but it is certainly not my main office .
p3 rear.jpg

p5  rack.jpg

p6 zeta.jpg

The room is mostly used for listening and sometimes for watching films or sport in the weekend.
I also can do some work there but it is certainly not my main office .
It for sure is the room where i spend many hours during the week :).

The size of the room is: 4.8m x 10.2m x 3.8m(height) , about 16ft x 33.5ft x 12.5ft (height)

The speakers/tweeters are about 6.5 ft (1.95m) from frontwall, listening position 11 ft (3.30m) from backwall. Listening distance is 16 ft (4.90m).

audioquattr

VIP/Donor
Sep 7, 2016
Netherlands
Equipment list:

turntable: Techdas AF3 premium, Kronos Pro ; Tonearm: AS Axiom, SME 3012r, Ikeda 407. Cartridge: Grado Epoch, MSL Signature Platinum, Shelter Harmony, Ortofon Mc Anna. Phonostage: Pass XS Phono . Linestage: Alieno pre on order, TAD C600 . Amplifier: Alieno 250 LTD. Loudspeaker: Cessaro Zeta. Cables: AudioQuest Wel

Power: PS Audio P10. Powercables: Shunyata. Musicserver: Aurender W20. Dac: Lampizator Pacific. Room: 4.8m x 10.2m x 3.8m(height) , about 16ft x 33.5ft x 12.5ft (height)

acoustics: SMT S-wings 60%, absorbers 10% behind the left and right screens, Bass absorbers at the backwall

p1 rack.jpg

p2 tdAF3p 3ta.jpg

p3 Alieno pre en pow.jpg

p4 det.jpg

p5 AF3p 4T sme in spot.jpg

p6 rack r.jpg

audioquattr

VIP/Donor
Sep 7, 2016
Netherlands
Some more pictures of the room, aswell from behind the "screens" ... :)

women talk; "Wow what an awesome experience is this". At earlier days with another system; "yes those speakers sounds good".
p1 women enjoying listenen.jpg

Because size matters; to give an idea about the size of the Cessaro Zeta, this woman is about 6ft (1.8m) tall.
p2 size matters  .jpg

Diffusor at frontwall behind acoustical transparent screen.
p3 Diffusor at frontwall behind acoustical transparent screen.jpg

p4 diff volcano.jpg

p5 achterz rack.jpg

View from behind the screen.
p6 view from behind the screens.jpg

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you for commencing this thread, audioquattr! I am sure many members and guests will enjoy immensely learning about your system and its development!

From my travels over the last several years listening to systems at friends’ homes dealer demos and audio shows your system is one of the very best I have ever heard!

The photos are GREAT!

Last edited:

audioquattr

VIP/Donor
Sep 7, 2016
Netherlands
Thank you Ron!

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Some more pictures of the room, aswell from behind the "screens" ... :)

women talk; "Wow what an awesome experience is this". At earlier days with another system; "yes those speakers sounds good".
View attachment 47410

Because size matters; to give an idea about the size of the Cessaro Zeta, this woman is about 8ft (1.8m) tall.
View attachment 47411

Diffusor at frontwall behind acoustical transparent screen.
View attachment 47412

View attachment 47413

View attachment 47414

View from behind the screen.
View attachment 47415

Hey - what a fantastic system. Amazing room.

I think the “woman” is ~6feet not 8feet unlesss I misunderstand you :)

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

8 feet should attract attention of the hyperbole police

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Congratulations on an amazing system......one of my favorite installations I've seen. Curious, where are the woofers located?

audioquattr

VIP/Donor
Sep 7, 2016
Netherlands

Thanks!
Oops, yes you’re right she is ‘only’ 6feet but still great :)
Thanks for your sharp reading through my notes ;-) !

Reactions: Audiophile Bill

audioquattr

VIP/Donor
Sep 7, 2016
Netherlands
Congratulations on an amazing system......one of my favorite installations I've seen. Curious, where are the woofers located?
Thank you Jeffrey!
They are behind the left and right textile screens.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I see you have the Grid Protectors. Have you tried the Piccolo. Did Ron realize you had the the Scherzinger devices on when he was there.

Tang

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Thanks!
Oops, yes you’re right she is ‘only’ 6feet but still great :)
Thanks for your sharp reading through my notes ;-) !

Apologies for that :) Spend my life reviewing medical publications.

Reactions: audioquattr

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Excellent. What is the design of the base cabinets? Sealed, ported, etc? Will you move to base horns eventually?

Is the big lower cabinet only a mid bass to say 50-70hz then? Didn’t look at specs yet so excuse my laziness.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Thank you Jeffrey!
They are behind the left and right textile screens.

So these woofers are direct radiators in a vented cabinet? Best.

audioquattr

VIP/Donor
Sep 7, 2016
Netherlands
I see you have the Grid Protectors. Have you tried the Piccolo. Did Ron realize you had the the Scherzinger devices on when he was there.

Tang
Yes i have tried the piccolo’s but i didn’t like them after 2 days. First few hours i liked them but after a few days they became to intense.
But the grid protectors i like, only behind the set. Not behind my listening position, than it confuses the soundstage. I have them on the least intense position/config.
No when Ron visited me i didn’t have the Schnerzingers in the room. I just had the speakers running for a few weeks and i was still learning the system.

audioquattr

VIP/Donor
Sep 7, 2016
Netherlands
Excellent. What is the design of the base cabinets? Sealed, ported, etc? Will you move to base horns eventually?
It is ported yet, like the original Cessaro. The port is tuned very low.
Yes the plan is to move later to base horns, i first have to fill my piggy bank again ;-)

audioquattr

VIP/Donor
Sep 7, 2016
Netherlands
Is the big lower cabinet only a mid bass to say 50-70hz then? Didn’t look at specs yet so excuse my laziness.

You mean the lower part of the Cessaro horn?
That's the midbass, 2* 11inch midbass woofers working from 65hz till ~300hz.

Reactions: Audiophile Bill

audioquattr

VIP/Donor
Sep 7, 2016
Netherlands

Tang

One more note, please be kind to Ron, he might be sensitive to highs and Sibilance but he easily pics the differents from all the carts and adjustments i was doing behind his back.
He instantly heard when the adjustments were in the optimal position, without knowing what i was doing.

IMG_6455.jpg

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Oh, didn't you see the eyes in the back of his head?

Reactions: bonzo75

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing