Audiophile Fuses

Jul 11, 2021
So you think the gold end cap version is actually the Cardas, not silver/gold?

@Hilroy48 If you're happy with the Orange, you'll likely be even happier with the Purple, as their sound profiles seem to be similar, although there are a few dissenters. System synergy I suspect.
It looks like a copy paste of text from analogue seduction website for the supreme 3 silver gold. If you check the bullet points of the spec it says cardas copper wire. Same is as described in other websites.

“Supreme³ combines Cardas technology with superior HiFi Tuning construction, improving on the previous Supreme series performance. End-caps and internal wiring are constructed from Gold-plated Cardas Low-Eddy Copper, housed in a black ceramic tube and cryogenically deep-treated.”

I have tried the cardas and it was not right for my system, moved to the filter strip for the TV. I have about 5 of the HIFI tuning silver and gold and 3 of the SR orange, would be interred to trade for orange \ purple but they do great job for the price. I had a orange at the socket of my amp (Uk 13 amp plugs have fuses inside) and a supreme 3 inside the amp and changed it for an orange. It was an improvement for sure but when they are in network switches and LPS in not rushing to change the rest.

Last edited:

Crom

Feb 11, 2016
I've decided to try the SR Master fuse.
It will go in my Dac.

Have SR Purple in my amp, and SR Purple/Orange/Red in my power supplies.
How did this go @jerrybj. I'm using all purple at the moment and trying to evaluate any audible difference with moving to Master. Thank you for any insight.

jerrybj

Feb 27, 2022
New Zealand
How did this go @jerrybj. I'm using all purple at the moment and trying to evaluate any audible difference with moving to Master. Thank you for any insight.
Ahhhhh...

Other tasty treats have got in my way.

I tripped over a pair of used Sound Anchors speaker stands that I just had to buy.
Have ordered a couple of Teddy Pardo linear power supplies for my streamer and Intel Nuc.
And also ordered a Puritain PSM156 mains conditioner.
Then have agreed to a set of Stack Audio Auva speaker stand isolators.

I was thinking if my circumstances changed, what would I most like to have already in my system.
And the Master fuse comes after these things.

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
I have one in my Aqua Formula DAC, it's more musical than the Purple one and you will gain much more depth.
All of my other fuses are the Purple ones.
I might get one for my amp later on.

Reactions: CKKeung and engadin

Phon@ix

Jul 27, 2019
ZRH
Has anyone already tested the SR Master fuse? A buddy use it in his Dac and likes it a lot.. Other experiences? IMG_4943.png

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
Has anyone already tested the SR Master fuse? A buddy use it in his Dac and likes it a lot.. Other experiences? View attachment 112374
I could understand it being the best SR fuse yet. What I’m not getting is Ted Denny’s explanation that it was designed to be a “Master” fuse that somehow controls/influences the rest of the (e.g., SR Purple) fuses in the system. What am I missing?

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
I could understand it being the best SR fuse yet. What I’m not getting is Ted Denny’s explanation that it was designed to be a “Master” fuse that somehow controls/influences the rest of the (e.g., SR Purple) fuses in the system. What am I missing?

Yes, why is Ted only recommending one Master, two at the outside? The first thing that came to my mind is to wonder if they are playing with tonal balance, specifically emphasizing the upper midrange to give a more live, transparent sound. Too much of that across a system wouldn’t be good, so suggest one and let the warmer Purples balance it out. I suggested that to Master reviewer Rick Becker (Enjoy the Music), but he didn’t understand that a clear bass doesn’t determine tonal balance. Of course, my thought is a speculative hypothesis, having not tried out a Master.

shel50

Aug 3, 2020
Long Island, NY
Fraudulent fuses of a well-known manufactuer

We all know there are fraudulent audiophile products on the market. The problem is identifying them. Here's one that uses the excellent industrial name of Schurter who is a well regarded Swiss fuse manufacturer. I saw this listing on Ali Express and then checked the entire Schurter catalog looking for such as fuse. I could not find it so I emailed Schurter to notify them of potential fraud using their name. The dialog is below. Bottom line- let the buyer beware!!

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804570848523.html?spm=a2g0o.detail.1000014.25.6f2b2b12X7sUFR&gps-id=pcDetailBottomMoreOtherSeller&scm=1007.40050.281175.0&scm_id=1007.40050.281175.0&scm-url=1007.40050.281175.0&pvid=929d793b-ac22-4023-886b-137c19c60a49&_t=gps-id:pcDetailBottomMoreOtherSeller,scm-url:1007.40050.281175.0,pvid:929d793b-ac22-4023-886b-137c19c60a49,tpp_buckets:668#2846#8108#1977&pdp_ext_f={"sku_id":"12000030356204985","sceneId":"30050"}&pdp_npi=2@dis!USD!54.45!44.65!!!!!@2101d1ad16739975387414559e7292!12000030356204985!rec

Dear Dr. Wax,
Thank you, I was able to access the link you provided.
We do not have a fuse that is described in the link in our catalog.
I will advise with our management to investigate further.

Best regards,
Alfonso Rios?Ochoa
Applications Engineer

BTW, more audio irony. Wouldn't be interesting if the Ali Express "Schurter" fuse turned out to be a superb sounding one after all? Ha! But I'll leave it to someone else to waste their time exploring that one!
Littlefuse makes "Audiophile grade fuses" if there is such a thing for about 15 bucks. Certainly worth a try
given other hi end fuses which to my ears did nothing--for 15 busks how wrong can it be?
I'm using them now and they seem fine. If it blows I'm out 15 maybe 20 bucks as opposed to
200 bucks from other "hi end end" fuse manufacturers..

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia

dcathro

Sep 16, 2016
Melbourne, Australia

Phon@ix

Jul 27, 2019
ZRH
Fuse Rolling Game‘s on…
IMG_6994.jpeg IMG_6996.jpeg
It‘s an order for a few guys from our hifi crew.

I just mounted the Master Fuses into my LampizatOr TRP and LDMS PSU + two SR Purple in my Sound Design Atelier Monos… Sounds crazy good… like a new system!!!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: christoph

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Try the Littlefuse Series 285. It's 5 bucks or less and available at electronics supply outlets like Digikey and Mouser. The Master fuse is good but IMO only because the other Synergistic fuses are not good. This is a worthy experiment to try with little (no pun intended) to lose.

shel50

Aug 3, 2020
Long Island, NY
Try the Littlefuse Series 285. It's 5 bucks or less and available at electronics supply outlets like Digikey and Mouser. The Master fuse is good but IMO only because the other Synergistic fuses are not good. This is a worthy experiment to try with little (no pun intended) to lose.
yes---I posted a message saying same thing---littlefuse makes
legit priced right fuses..been using them for a while now

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
yes---I posted a message saying same thing---littlefuse makes
legit priced right fuses..been using them for a while now

The subject of this thread is about sound of Audiophile Fuses not what you call "legit" pricing, so your post is off topic, as is bazelio 's skepticism about whether the category of audiophile fuses is legitimate. Even if you disagree, please respect the assumption of the topic and its contributors who do hear differences, and take your views on the subject elsewhere.

Reactions: kennyb123

Jpspock

Dec 26, 2018
I had a black, a blue, 2 purple and now one purple plus master. All those fuses brought me a lot of pleasure, no disappointment… used in arc and different dcs gears

Reactions: Phon@ix

Republicoftexas69

The subject of this thread is about sound of Audiophile Fuses not what you call "legit" pricing, so your post is off topic, as is bazelio 's skepticism about whether the category of audiophile fuses is legitimate. Even if you disagree, please respect the assumption of the topic and its contributors who do hear differences, and take your views on the subject elsewhere.
They were simply pointing out that Little Fuse has an audio/medical grade fuse offering in the 285 series and they are significantly less expensive. This thread was started in 2010, have some respect for the views of other people. With all due respect the title of the thread is simply “Audiophile Fuses” so their comments are not off topic.

Reactions: iain

shel50

Aug 3, 2020
Long Island, NY
LOL. now I recall why I'm trashing this site-----

• Haha
Reactions: bazelio

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing