Audiophile Fuses

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Yea, that's a very high level generalization.

I personally feel Rhodium is garbage. Its a poor conductor.

Rhodium is tremendously popular among “neutral” loving audiophiles. For example, it’s apparently the most popular among the Furutech outlets and connectors.. The power cords Sablon sent me several years ago had them (instead of sending them back, which I did, he encouraged me to replace my components’ inlets with Furutech gold models).

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Fraudulent fuses of a well-known manufactuer

We all know there are fraudulent audiophile products on the market. The problem is identifying them. Here's one that uses the excellent industrial name of Schurter who is a well regarded Swiss fuse manufacturer. I saw this listing on Ali Express and then checked the entire Schurter catalog looking for such as fuse. I could not find it so I emailed Schurter to notify them of potential fraud using their name. The dialog is below. Bottom line- let the buyer beware!!

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256...d16739975387414559e7292!12000030356204985!rec

Dear Dr. Wax,
Thank you, I was able to access the link you provided.
We do not have a fuse that is described in the link in our catalog.
I will advise with our management to investigate further.

Best regards,
Alfonso Rios?Ochoa
Applications Engineer

BTW, more audio irony. Wouldn't be interesting if the Ali Express "Schurter" fuse turned out to be a superb sounding one after all? Ha! But I'll leave it to someone else to waste their time exploring that one!

SeagoatLeo

Feb 23, 2015
Rhodium, gold (coated copper?) and plated copper have different sounds. I prefer the latter, e.g., with AC connectors, for their bit of warmth. Rhodium goes in the other direction. I know Alex of WyWires doesn't like using the latter for its sound, and will only do so if insisted upon. Silver has a reputation for being bright and alive, although some more recent applications seem to be able to control or better balance its effects. There's a Belden silver-tinted copper wire that sounded good in an umbilical cord and that one headphone amp maker uses for internal wiring.
I've tried at least 15 IEC/AC power connectors as a beta tester for a power cord manufacturer in the past 10 years. I found Rhodium to be harsh/bright compared to most others. The preference was for a copper connector, with various formulations. Brass was occasionally better than rhodium. Silver also tended to be bright as a connector.

Reactions: Kingrex

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Seeing this thread re Fuses-I thought to write my rather strange experience with purchasing some Furutech Fuse products recently, possibly to see if any other folk had similar experience/etc.

So-- I'd had some Furutech fuses quite comfortably ensconced in various units all delivering (?) satisfactory results--happy camper here:)

Photo item A

however with a unforeseen power surge in-house --two fuses were taken out-poof!

I purveyed the Sites and located an Authorised Furutech agent whom said syes I can supply requirements I needed.

I received a note from the Agent stating the older Blue versions were discontinued and here is a pic of the latest Green sheathed Fuses --Photo item B -deal struck funds /lodged and fuses duly arrived.

Photo item C

Umm;)--the pic of B and the poorly made C were chalk and cheese?

I again questioned the Furutch confirmed Agent who categorically stated the fuses sent were genuine Furutech--and no correspondence would be entered into/etc --Ok to avoid WWIII I installed and let it pass.

Yes well ALL the 4 "genuine'' Furutech Fuses shown C--self destructed upon turn on so I guess I'll never know if they worked their magic or not.

All I'll say is the finish and quality was awful and such a let down from the original Blue series Fuses --I'll certainly never consider Furutech products again.

Oh yes and before one queries --the seller is listed on Furutech Japan website as an Authorised/Verified Seller.

Shame Furutech:confused: thou sowed many a fine product--the slipping standard so unbecoming.

My advice --avoid these Fuses.

BruceD
IMG_2223.jpg Fuse v1.jpg Fuses  V1.jpg

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Too bad. A few questions: Are you using a power conditioner or other surge protection? What equipment were they used in? Did you contact Furutech directly? I’m wondering if Furutech is now not making fuses to industry specs, like SR, but without knowing the equipment it’s hard to speculate. Several years ago I used a couple of their fuses w/o problem.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Under the category of "for what its worth", I've been playing with fuses for about 6 months and after kissing a lot of frogs, I think I found something rewarding. The big surprise, although it's not really, is that fuses really can certainly contribute to improving the voicing your system to some significant benefit. I found two fuses in particular that worked well. They are the 2 fuses in the Supreme 3 line made by Hi-Fi Tuning. One fuse uses Mundorf wire which is a silver/gold blend. The other uses copper wire with gold plated copper ends where the copper is specified as Cardas copper.

What I found is that running the Mundorf wire fuses exclusively or the Cardas fuses exclusively was not as satisfactory as mixing and matching. Rather is was using the Mundorf wire fuses in the Gryphon Mephisto, Soulution 725 pre and the Taiko Extreme, coupled with the Cardas wire fuse in my Lampi Horizon, that yielded beautiful sound that was simultaneously organic yet seemingly unimpeded to transient current flow. Sort of a best of both worlds, or so it seemed to me. An obvious YMMV situation for sure.

What I found attractive is that these fuses are about $50 each (ebay) so I found them an overall excellent value, That's another way of saying that I refused to buy any fuse that cost more than a nice dinner, or that I'm just basically cheap. Call me crazy, but fuses that cost as much as a used car were just off the table from the get go. So were any fuses that had the word "quantum" in their name, but that's just me. The Hi-Fi tuning Supreme 3 fuses seem to be solid, well engineered, reasonably-priced, no fluff devices. That that they came in 2 flavors was just right for the recipe I sought for enhanced sonic performance over the stock fuses they replaced. Glad that box is checked, hopefully for a long time.

Last edited:

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
...So were any fuses that had the word "quantum" in their name, but that's just me. The Hi-Fi tuning Supreme 3 fuses seem to be solid, well engineered, reasonably-priced, no fluff devices. That that they came in 2 flavors was just right for the recipe I sought for the enhanced sonic performance they provided over the stock fuses they replaced. Glad that box is checked, hopefully for a long time.

I was wondering about these for a Paul Hynes LPS, vs. an SR Orange.

From VH Audio: "The HiFi Tuning Supreme Fuses utilize a 99% pure silver and 1% pure gold alloy, tip-to-tip... from caps to burn wire. They also employ a specially developed ceramic casing, with an additional anti-resonance tube, as well as quantum and cryogenic treatments."

Can't escape the quantum. Looking at eBay, except for 6.3A fast blow, one has to buy directly from Germany, with a proviso about slow shipping, up to 2 months.

It appears actually cheaper to buy from Analogue Seduction in the UK, which carries them for about $55 each shipped to the States (maybe they'll combine shipping for less). However, they describe both versions as 99% pure silver and 1% of gold, with the difference being between unplated caps and copper plated ones. Is that what you're seeing?

Reactions: Charlie B.

KPC

Dec 4, 2019
San Francisco Bay Area
Putting together my first high-end analog+digital chain. Unexpected unplanned expenditures for noise reduction is driving me crazy. SR fuses then Quantum wallet emptying fuses. Furutech outlets then Quantum... Audiophile switches, linear power supplies, ethernet regenerators/filters, ionizer, master clocks...

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Putting together my first high-end analog+digital chain. Unexpected unplanned expenditures for noise reduction is driving me crazy. SR fuses then Quantum wallet emptying fuses. Furutech outlets then Quantum... Audiophile switches, linear power supplies, ethernet regenerators/filters, ionizer, master clocks...

I feel it. I intentionally started simple with an Oppo 103, a small dac and Quad active bookshelf speakers, along with a cable box and TV. Then progressively came an Oppo 203, PS Audio dac and a pair of ATC active speakers. Progressively I've added an AC regenerator, better ATC's, a couple of preamps, subs, bass traps, expensive fuses and cables, adapters, LPS, etc., etc. Not so simple anymore.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Can't escape the quantum. Looking at eBay, except for 6.3A fast blow, one has to buy directly from Germany, with a proviso about slow shipping, up to 2 months.

Ya got me on the quantum. Glad I didn't see that! Ha!

I think my copper Cardas version was sourced from ebay but the Mundorf silver/gold was sourced from PartsConnexion. I think they are the same fuses as your source. Your prices are very good as well!

Last edited:

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland

If they can fool people into buying those fuses in the first place , the extra slow shipping story should be a piece of cake , or are they " built on order " lol :)
Can t they make use of Quantum entanglement .... iow instant delivery

Last edited:

Hilroy48

Sep 15, 2021
Regina Sk Canada
I received my first purple SR fuse this morning. Sadly I am off to work, will listen to it later and compare. I do have all orange Sr fuses currently in all of my Audio gear. I will be using the Purple fuse in my DAC, seems to be the most logical place to start.

Reactions: Ron Resnick
Jul 11, 2021
I was wondering about these for a Paul Hynes LPS, vs. an SR Orange.

From VH Audio: "The HiFi Tuning Supreme Fuses utilize a 99% pure silver and 1% pure gold alloy, tip-to-tip... from caps to burn wire. They also employ a specially developed ceramic casing, with an additional anti-resonance tube, as well as quantum and cryogenic treatments."

It appears actually cheaper to buy from Analogue Seduction in the UK, which carries them for about $55 each shipped to the States (maybe they'll combine shipping for less). However, they describe both versions as 99% pure silver and 1% of gold, with the difference being between unplated caps and copper plated ones. Is that what you're seeing?
The supreme silver and gold and the cardas as are different, perhaps there is a typo on analogue seduction. Personally I think the supreme 3 silver and gold are great value, I would love the, to make that version for our 13amp UK fuse too. The hifituning supreme 3 silver and gold mix well with synergistic research orange in the same system (I have not tried purple). I am using SR orange at the wall plug for toy puritan audio dc filter then individual plugs and the supreme 3 silver golds inside the network switch and all 3 LPS, no complaints at all and no urge to “upgrade”

Hilroy48

Sep 15, 2021
Regina Sk Canada
I ended up buying a Second Saturn Audio phono stage for the basement system, So that was going to need an SR orange fuse. This was the perfect time to change the DAC fuse which is the same amperage as the phono stage to a purple fuse as a trial. I am very happy with the performance of the orange fuses.

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
The supreme silver and gold and the cardas as are different, perhaps there is a typo on analogue seduction. Personally I think the supreme 3 silver and gold are great value, I would love the, to make that version for our 13amp UK fuse too. The hifituning supreme 3 silver and gold mix well with synergistic research orange in the same system (I have not tried purple). I am using SR orange at the wall plug for toy puritan audio dc filter then individual plugs and the supreme 3 silver golds inside the network switch and all 3 LPS, no complaints at all and no urge to “upgrade”

So you think the gold end cap version is actually the Cardas, not silver/gold?

@Hilroy48 If you're happy with the Orange, you'll likely be even happier with the Purple, as their sound profiles seem to be similar, although there are a few dissenters. System synergy I suspect.

Hilroy48

Sep 15, 2021
Regina Sk Canada
Ok all I can say is wow. The Saturn DAC really responded to this purple fuse. I am not well versed in terminology so I will give it a shot. The purple Fuse presents with more Authority. And not in an overpowering way. The articulation and annunciation of the singer is incredible. All the instruments are more pronounced as well. Sharp crisp fast. I love my system and how when the singer is singing acapella there is DEAD SILENCE, you hang on every word. Well now I am thinking a purple fuse for the preamp now? Or do I leave well enough alone? This combination really excites me now.

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Consider letting it burn in for 250 hours to get the full measure and get past the bumps. If the dac has trickle current when off, back switch or not, and the power cord has juice constantly, you'll know in 10 days or so.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing