Audionet Scientist Series: Humboldt Integrated vs Stern and Heisenberg Separates : Having Your Cake and Eating it Too?

audio1

Jul 5, 2016
Ok that means the Mscaler is really worth the investment.
The Mscaler definitely is worth the investment. It takes good recordings to another level, but also really improves poor recordings, making them much more natural and enjoyable.

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
The Mscaler definitely is worth the investment. It takes good recordings to another level, but also really improves poor recordings, making them much more natural and enjoyable.
Yes the big plus is to be able to listen to poor recordings like early Dead can Dance albums for example.

KPC

Dec 4, 2019
San Francisco Bay Area
The Audionet Humboldt is my end game preamp+amp. It plays with the +$100k big boys for only (gasp) $55k. The best bang for buck price performance without sacrificing sound quality.

musicfirst1

VIP/Donor
Mar 8, 2015
Canada
www.musicfirstdistribution.ca

KPC

Dec 4, 2019
San Francisco Bay Area
Other Humboldt reviews

TAS Matthew Clott:

TAS Greg Weaver

musicfirst1

VIP/Donor
Mar 8, 2015
Canada
www.musicfirstdistribution.ca
I missed Matthew Clotts remarkable review. It is a classic and should be a model for other reviewers out there.

Reactions: beach2mountain

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010
Heard the Humboldt today and I was stunned :oops:. I can be enthusiastic by our shared hobby but this time I was shocked: a new class of audio has been born. From now on we have solid state, tubes and Audionet Humboldt. I know that the Heisenbergs have to be better still but I just cannot imagine how. WOW

heihei

VIP/Donor
Jul 24, 2017
Heard the Humboldt today and I was stunned :oops:. I can be enthusiastic by our shared hobby but this time I was shocked: a new class of audio has been born. From now on we have solid state, tubes and Audionet Humboldt. I know that the Heisenbergs have to be better still but I just cannot imagine how. WOW
Interested to know what the rest of the system was, and most importantly, if you're buying??

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010
Interested to know what the rest of the system was, and most importantly, if you're buying??
Hi, I took my Nagra CD-player with me and a Furutech nanoflux NCF power cable. Don’t remeber the interlinks or speaker cables. PC cable on the Humboldt was an Audioquest from the top line (don’t remember which one). Loudspeakers werd Focal Scala Utopia Evo which have aprox the same specifications as my own Kef 207/2. And your question: yes, if all works out (trade in / of sale of my own amps etc.) I am going to buy it next Month. It simply is too good to pass. When I got home yesterday I just could not bring myself to connect my cd-player in my own set. Hopefully I will “manage” that today. The Humboldt should even be better at my place connected to the Furutech pure power 6 E NCF and Elrod Master Diamond loudspeaker cables. Can’t wait. Big thank you to W&W audio for giving me the opportunity to hear this beauty. They left me to it for two hours without any interruption (only to refill my cup of coffee).:)

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
Hi, I took my Nagra CD-player with me and a Furutech nanoflux NCF power cable. Don’t remeber the interlinks or speaker cables. PC cable on the Humboldt was an Audioquest from the top line (don’t remember which one). Loudspeakers werd Focal Scala Utopia Evo which have aprox the same specifications as my own Kef 207/2. And your question: yes, if all works out (trade in / of sale of my own amps etc.) I am going to buy it next Month. It simply is too good to pass. When I got home yesterday I just could not bring myself to connect my cd-player in my own set. Hopefully I will “manage” that today. The Humboldt should even be better at my place connected to the Furutech pure power 6 E NCF and Elrod Master Diamond loudspeaker cables. Can’t wait. Big thank you to W&W audio for giving me the opportunity to hear this beauty. They left me to it for two hours without any interruption (only to refill my cup of coffee).:)
Great choice! i also think it's the best integrated on the market today and i've heard most of them including Vitus SIA-030.
Hopefully i can afford it one day.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Did you directly compare the Humboldt against other amps?
And if yes, what were the other amps?

heihei

VIP/Donor
Jul 24, 2017
Did you directly compare the Humboldt against other amps?
And if yes, what were the other amps?
Not a Humboldt comparison, but the Heisenbergs were the first amps I heard that bettered my Berning Quadrature Z's, and by a significant margin. When choosing the Bernings, I listened to a lot of amps (CH, D'Agostino, MacIntosh, Dartzeel, Ayre, Vitus, Burmester).
Similar on the pre-amp side of things - the Stern was only bettered by CH L1 + X1, comparing to VTL, Vitus, Bespoke, Mayer, Soulution etc.

Reactions: lordcloud

Diasoft5

Feb 19, 2020
40764 Langenfeld / Germany
I wish I had the 42000,- Euros I paid for my Vitus SIA025+SS025 biamping combo.......without counting the XLR - connecting cable from Göbel between the two.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
That is big news!!! Many congrats and best wishes!!! I look forward to reading about how they fare in your system when they arrive!!! I have spoken with numerous people about the Audionets, and have heard nothing but superlatives from people whose ears I trust.

Reactions: nirodha and heihei

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010
That is big news!!! Many congrats and best wishes!!! I look forward to reading about how they fare in your system when they arrive!!! I have spoken with numerous people about the Audionets, and have heard nothing but superlatives from people whose ears I trust.
Thank you! If all goes well, it will be picked up at the end of next week:D

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Wow! FAST! That is even better news! I have to say Audionet is very high on my list on designs to hear: Audionet Scientist Series, Boulder 3000 series, CH 10 series

heihei

VIP/Donor
Jul 24, 2017
Wow! FAST! That is even better news! I have to say Audionet is very high on my list on designs to hear: Audionet Scientist Series, Boulder 3000 series, CH 10 series
The Audionet is easy to arrange! Paul thinks you'd like them ;-)

More seriously, a compare to the CH 10 series would be interesting. I much preferred Stern / Heisenberg to CH L1 + X1 & M1 monos. The Audionet was considerably more dynamic so always made listening to music an event. It gave up very little by way of other hifi attributes despite the lower cost either.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
The Audionet is easy to arrange! Paul thinks you'd like them ;-)

More seriously, a compare to the CH 10 series would be interesting. I much preferred Stern / Heisenberg to CH L1 + X1 & M1 monos. The Audionet was considerably more dynamic so always made listening to music an event. It gave up very little by way of other hifi attributes despite the lower cost either.
Hi Heihei,

I have a lot of respect for Paul's ear...he knows his trade very well. And he is utterly committed to super-elite level performance.

As for CH 10, yes from everything I have ever read, heard or been told directly, the 10 series excels at tonal density which is particularly intriguing to me. Interesting comment about Audionet dynamics relative to L1/X1/M1...adds some further insight into other comments I have heard from owners of the L1/X1/M1 series.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing