audio technica lp120xusb problem help pls

onnik

Dec 31, 2023
liverpool
What could it be that turns the turntable into a... microphone. if I turn up the music a little more, there is a hum, the speakers are 1.50 m away, could it be from the intgrated preamplifier i use line.
here is video

BillK

Aug 25, 2015
That's the way a phonograph works; the cartridge amplifies any vibration, whether from the record groove or coming in from the outside by pounding on the plinth.

onnik

Dec 31, 2023
liverpool
for me this is not normal, 40 years ago when I had a turntable it was not like this, maybe if I buy an amplifier with a phono input it will be better, now I use aux and Sony shake x30d, or to change moving magnet to moving coil cartridge.

Attachments

• x30d.jpg
    x30d.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 1

BillK

Aug 25, 2015
It is, though.

Rapping on the plinth is a standard test of mine and virtually any turntable will do the same except for suspended turntables (spring suspension) or massive tables weighing over 100 lbs.

onnik

Dec 31, 2023
liverpool
Yes true, my old turntable was nothing special, you may not have seen such a miracle of technology, and it was on a spring suspension, but it sounded great at the time on audio cassettes

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 1

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
Tapping plinth, that’s not the way of testing a turntable’s isolation. You should tap the stand where turntable sits and if you hear feedback from speakers then you have an isolation problem. Tapping plinth is one of the mistakes most people do. Plinth is directly connected to bearing, platter and most importantly tonearm. That’s how a plinth should be, directly connected. The job of isolation is to decouple plinth from the stand and the room.

onnik

Dec 31, 2023
liverpool
You can't hear it just when I tap on the turntable, you can hear boom boom even when I walk on the ground, and if I turn it up a little more, it starts boooooo from the speakers, the same as if you bring a microphone to the speaker but with low frequency, it becomes microphony.
It is possible that the built-in preamplifier of the turntable is wrong, the turntable is not new, it is second hand but it looks like new, it is 2 years old, I hope that if I get an amplifier with a phono inpu to turn off the turntable's preamplifier, this will go away, also the power with which the device plays is about 10% of the real one, if it is 100 watts I hear it as 10 watts and there is no bass, it plays like a regular TV.

Last edited:

BillK

Aug 25, 2015
Tapping plinth, that’s not the way of testing a turntable’s isolation. You should tap the stand where turntable sits and if you hear feedback from speakers then you have an isolation problem. Tapping plinth is one of the mistakes most people do. Plinth is directly connected to bearing, platter and most importantly tonearm. That’s how a plinth should be, directly connected. The job of isolation is to decouple plinth from the stand and the room.

Actually, it's both.

Tapping on the table shouldn't be heard, but IMHO, neither should tapping on the plinth.

Both allow room vibrations to make it back into the cartridge and phono stage.

Many turntable manufacturers address the former, a surprising number do not address the latter.

One of the big advantages of vacuum hold-down is you can tap on the LP itself and it will not be heard through the cartridge; AFAIK only vacuum hold-down gives that advantage.

I've raised the query before that some say vacuum hold-down makes the record sound "dead," but I wonder if that's because people have grown used to the additional "feedback" caused due to resonance in the vinyl itself being added to playback rather than just what is being picked up by the stylus; I personally have no idea but like the idea that you could use a hammer to pound on the table, the plinth, the platter or the record itself and the only sound making it into the stylus is what's in the grooves.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing