Audio Research releases Its 40th Anniversary Preamp

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
So I finally heard the GAT. Frankly, it blew me away. The guys in the room said it was by far the best CJ they'd heard, and it certainly is the best CJ i've heard (i've owned two...PV14L and ACT 2). Here's my notes:

- transparent to invisible...i've not ever felt that a pre was invisible until this one...
- i think it has to do with extreme alacrity...its so fast, it does not feel like the component is taking in a signal, processing it, and then having to 'push' it back out thru a series of cones/speakers. music just seemed to fly/breathe effortlessly (with no resistance) thru the component if that makes any sense.
- it is also very even across the spectrum...super balanced
- it is also very, very quiet...which means you really do start to hear your music as if for the first time with all the new detail
- the extension of the unit is far greater than the ACT 2. it ain't close, and i like the ACT 2
- dynamically, you understand quite quickly the ACT 2 is very limited (which i already knew)
- finally, CJ left their DNA in the unit...it always manages to feel completely at ease and completely natural (which the ACT 2 does not in comparison)

Hi lloydelee21,

I guess you will get the GAT soon. HaHa.

I don't know result of the GAT vs FM 268 shootout.
However, a friend who had a FM 268 bought the ARC40 a few months ago. His 268 is now gathering dust in his storeroom.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi CKK,

nice to hear from you. yes...isn't that always the way?...time to go find a GAT!!! (maybe...;) ) in any event, that is interesting to know about your friend who has switched his 268 for an ARC 40. That is saying something!!! How is yours coming along? you must be reaching 350+ hours by now?

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Hi lloydelee21,
Yes, my ARC40 is now nearly 400hrs but I just return from a trip with my kids and I switched off the whole system before leaving so it has been idle for nearly 2 weeks. Also, 100 of the 400hrs was without music playing.
It's improving steadily and overall better than my previously Mark 32 but I still don't get the huge dynamics & bass that are so raved by other owners.
I will start experiment with footers/spikes when it's >600hrs.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
CKKeung,
The ARC Anniversary is not like medicine - it will not add huge dynamics & bass unless your system is synergistic with it, and I do not think that footers will make a miracle. As it is Summer time here I have disconnected my usual tube VTL MB750s and went through a diet of several solid state amplifiers - irrespective of price or their quality some sound very good but some are disappointing. At this level, cable matching is also important. In my system the improvements were immediate as I was coming from an ARC REF5. If you have the opportunity try to borrow an ARC CD8 - but remember at this level it is also a matter of preference, not only of quality.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
CKKeung,
The ARC Anniversary is not like medicine - it will not add huge dynamics & bass unless your system is synergistic with it, and I do not think that footers will make a miracle. As it is Summer time here I have disconnected my usual tube VTL MB750s and went through a diet of several solid state amplifiers - irrespective of price or their quality some sound very good but some are disappointing. At this level, cable matching is also important. In my system the improvements were immediate as I was coming from an ARC REF5. If you have the opportunity try to borrow an ARC CD8 - but remember at this level it is also a matter of preference, not only of quality.

CKK - i see you've got Revels...what is your amp? not heard of the abbreviation you used in your profile. Also - how much did the Apogee Big Ben make in your setup? thanks for your advice!

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Hi microstrip,
Many thanks for your advice!
I would like to clarify that I am very very satisfied with my ARC40 which at this run-in stage, has already surpassed my previous Mark 32 significantly.
I totally agree with you that system synergy is of utmost importance.
I heard ARC CD8 once at the ARC distributor in Hong Kong. It's an outstanding CDP. However, I have >100 SACD so prefer a SACD player.
I am eager to tweak the ARC40 just because I have itchy hands and I will do so after the ARC40 sound is relatively more stable after 600hrs.

Hi lloydelee21,
The Apogee Big Ben is for my Marantz SA-7S1 SACD player which has an external clock input. My Big Ben is an used one at <US$1000 only but it elevates the SA-7S1 to another level. Without it, SA-7S1 is sweet & musical but the addition of the Big Ben brings about improvement in all aspects.

My speaker is Revel Ultima Studio (the older version only, not the newer Studio2).

My poweramp is a professional one from UK: http://www.mc2-audio.co.uk/mc1250.html
The MC1250 is an underrated poweramp. It's on par with Madrigal 336 poweramp that I used before but the price is just a fraction of 336's.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
The Apogee Big Ben is for my Marantz SA-7S1 SACD player which has an external clock input. My Big Ben is an used one at <US$1000 only but it elevates the SA-7S1 to another level. Without it, SA-7S1 is sweet & musical but the addition of the Big Ben brings about improvement in all aspects.
Thanks...good to know. they are not easy to find.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Hi lloydelee21,

May you share with us what other audio gears you are now using? Are they good matches with your coming CJ GAT?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi CKK,

Below is my system (all second-hand and years to assemble in the used market, one piece at a time...). In general, with the dead neutrality of the ACT 2, the basic balance of the system is natural/warm with Zanden/Transp/Gryphon and Neutral with Valhalla/Wilson/CJ ACT 2. The GAT is far more neutral but at the same time more natural...which would be a great enhancement of the system...decisions, decisions! (It also provides far greater decay/detail retrieval, dynamics and extension...all of which the Zanden, Gryphon and particularly the X1/Grand Slamms are capable of exhibiting to great effect.)

Many people ask me about the Oppo Transport...yes, it is the weaklink. My last upgrades to each of these components (other than the speakers) probably dates back over a period of 7-10 years on average...and each upgrade was big (the predecessor to the Zanden was a $60 Samsung DVD player)...before the Gryphon was a CJ MV60...before the Transparent, AQ Crystal...i prefer it this way. So while the transport wars (including servers) continue...i will stay with the Oppo (and move it to movies-only when i settle on an upgrade)...possibly Zanden 2000P if they ever come waaay down in price on the s/hand market!, or perhaps the MSB Universal Transport which is the first non-Zandent transport besides the old Esoteric P-01 (which i've never heard) that really intrigued me.

Any thoughts are greatly welcome!

Oppo 83 Blu-Ray Transport (Valhalla BNC digital cable)
Zanden 5000 Signature DAC
CJ ACT 2 pre
Gryphon Antileon
Wilson X1/Grand Slamms
Transp Ref Cables
Purist Audio/Sablon Audio Power Cables
Transp Ref Power Conditioner & Nordost QX4

Last edited:

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Hi CKK,

Below is my system (all second-hand and years to assemble in the used market, one piece at a time...). ... The GAT is far more neutral but at the same time more natural...which would be a great enhancement of the system...decisions, decisions!

Many people ask me about the Oppo Transport...yes, it is the weaklink. ... will stay with the Oppo (and move it to movies-only when i settle on an upgrade)...possibly Zanden 2000P ... or perhaps the MSB Universal Transport which is the first non-Zandent transport besides the old Esoteric P-01 (which i've never heard) that really intrigued me.

Any thoughts are greatly welcome!

Hi lloydelee21,

You have a fabulous system and all your gears are outstanding ones!
In Hong Kong, I can say that 99.99% of audiophiles don't have a house/apartment big enough for a pair of X1 to breathe!

Your system certainly deserves the GAT. Although there are other tube preamps at similar level (e.g. VTL, Kondo, Audionote ...), if you have been happy with & accustomed to the sound of CJ ACT2, GAT shall be your best choice.

IMHO your Oppo is definitely an outclass. However, I believe that CAS will be the future. I have been experimenting CAS lately and found that Window-based CAS is OK but a Hackintosh CAS using an Asus Atom motherboard KO my SA-7S1 (as transport) in seconds!

The MSB universal transport is so versatile that it may be an exception. The MSB Platinum IV DAC is very good too. I am now waiting/looking for a good high resolution-capable DAC and MSB IV is one of the candidates.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
The MSB universal transport is so versatile that it may be an exception. The MSB Platinum IV DAC is very good too. I am now waiting/looking for a good high resolution-capable DAC and MSB IV is one of the candidates.

Hi CKK - pls post your findings on the MSB Transport and/or DAC! i have not heard either, and am very interested by the Universal Transport...and who knows?...maybe someday the DAC (but not likely at the moment, since i am not focused on hi-res and am pleased with the Zanden). Thanks!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi lloydelee21,
Yes, my ARC40 is now nearly 400hrs but I just return from a trip with my kids and I switched off the whole system before leaving so it has been idle for nearly 2 weeks. Also, 100 of the 400hrs was without music playing.
It's improving steadily and overall better than my previously Mark 32 but I still don't get the huge dynamics & bass that are so raved by other owners.

HI CKK, how is the ARC40 coming? Be interested to hear about any tweaks you have made since, as well. Thanks.

djanggo

Aug 7, 2011
Hi lloydelee21,

I guess you will get the GAT soon. HaHa.

I don't know result of the GAT vs FM 268 shootout.
However, a friend who had a FM 268 bought the ARC40 a few months ago. His 268 is now gathering dust in his storeroom.

A change is sometimes good. Downsizing may be another story. But no way is the ARC40 better than the 268. Probably.. only when cost is taken into consideration. I own neither, but have heard comparisons at few friends that have the 268 wanting to insert a tube pre into their system. All three kept their 268, while one bought a Kondo for alternate use/different sound.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Djanggo,

I will say, i have never read anything negative about the performance and quality of 268...that is very, very unusual in a world where nearly any component has fans and detractors. Have you heard the FM 268...or any FM equipment before? i have never had the opportunity myself, and really would love to. I have a list of the "dream system" in my berry, with each category having a list of different components (Rockport Arrakis, Alexandria A2s, etc), Gryphon Mephisto/Pandora and FM Acoustics 1811/268 are both on the list for amp/preamp.

Any experience with either or both would be appreciated!!!

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Hi lloydelee21,

Heya CKK,
regarding large dynamic swings it may be worth seeing if you can just get a loaner power amp that is more traditional; meaning it has large power supply and reserve (transformer and capacitor storage), along with a moderate high 250watts minimum at 8ohms.
As an example the latest ML no53 that is a switching amp (think maybe your CM2 is as well) is 500watts into 8ohms and I think has 160,000ish uf capacitance for storage reserve, it has massive dynamic swings if ever hear it.
The ML no53 looks similar in size to traditional high end engineered amps due to its massive transformer and power reserve.

Just my experience on one reason why dynamic swings/swell do not come across on some amps.
Cheers
Orb

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
CKK,
just to add.

Well from what I could find the MC2 1250 is that it has an input impedance of only 10k.
This may be part of the problem as well, because this figure is low when considering tube preamps.
As an example Audio Research recommend a minimum of 20k load (power amp) for their Ref 5 preamp in the spec sheet.
And if looking at Audio Research power amps (both solid state and tube), the single ended input impedance is 150kohms, and 300k for balanced; much higher input impedance than the MC2 1250.
Anyway double check the input impedance on the MC2 1250 as the info I found may be wrong.

Cheers
Orb

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Hi Orb,

Many thanks for your advices!
Impedance mismatch is one of the culprits and I will look further into it for sure.

I guess another possibility is the speaker cable connection. MC2 1250 accepts only banana type while my Venture SC has spade type posts & i am just putting one of the two legs of the spade into a hole of the poweramp's speaker-post. I will be replacing the SC soon.

BTW MC2 1250 replaces my Mark Levinson 336 which is a traditional >100lbs poweramp (350W@8Ohm & 700W@4Ohm). At that time, I was still using Mark Levinson 32 preamp. The MC2 1250 is more dynamical but much cheaper so it's an underrated beast.

Cheers
CKK

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Keep us informed if you do resolve the dynamics, I appreciate large dynamic swings myself.
Cheers
Orb

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Keep us informed if you do resolve the dynamics, I appreciate large dynamic swings myself.
Cheers
Orb

Hi Orb & All,
The dynamics of my Ref40 has now improved a lot partly becasue of the 'boiling' (it's now 700 hrs) and partly because that the Venture SC has been replaced by a Neotech 7N SC with much better connectors. However, the impedance mismatch cannot be solved because the poweramp will remain be in use for some time.

The overall sound now is very musical yet dynamical & detailed. Much more enjoyable than my previous Mark No.32 preamp. The REF40 having such performance and being such reasonably priced, I have no complaint.

I will start some tube-rolling soon. It's tricky because the NOS 6H30-DR is now scare & quite expensive so I bought only two of them from Parts Connexion to 'test water'. For the two original 6550C, the replacement will be cryogenically treated NoS SED 6550C from Pearl CryoValves. I hope that after replacing the 4 tubes in the powersupply, there will be further improvement in the bass quality, dynamics & quietness. The eight 6H30 in the main unit will be left untouched for the time being.

Cheers,
CK

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Good to hear,
definitely curious how the tube rolling goes in the preamp as this is not something I see a lot of posts about, I read more about it relating to ARC power amps, but IMO less chance of blowing alternative tube when implemented in the preamp (appreciate bias-spec is also important).

Thanks
Orb

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing