Audio Player for my PC

AdamZ

Mar 23, 2017
Germanny
Hello Guys.
I am still buy CDs. And the first thing i do is rip it to my PC when i get a new one..
At this moment i have about 450 GB Music of all Kind at my PC.
1 CD is 1 Folder.
And what i´m looking for is
to play ALL the Titles(not the Folders!) in Random Mode.
Till now i can open 1 Folder, select all the Titles in this Folder
and play this with Win Media Player in Random Mode.
A lot of Work whole day long.
But i cant find a Solution for this.
Any Idea in the Community?
Thanks for thinking about it. ;)
Adam

Hear Here

Feb 14, 2020
Portsmouth, UK
Hello Adam

I think the real problem is that you are trying to use a piece of non-hi-fi to do a hi-fi job.

This may be contentious, but I believe that PCs are not hi-fi and never will be, although they are fine for CONTROL ONLY - keep the SIGNAL away from generic PCs.

Although I'm sure there's a computer solution to your problem with some extra software, I think you should really be looking to move your music files onto a dedicated NAS drive or a hi-fi ripper such as offered by Bluesound, etc and ditch the PC as far as music is concerned. Then (if going the Bluesound route) you can use its excellent BluOS app to control your music. This app (unusually) is available for all 4 platforms (Windows and Mac PCs, Android and iDevice tablets or phones.

If you are keeping one folder for each individual CD, you have hundreds of sub-folder within your main Music folder.

Firstly consider this - put all you music by each artist into a fresh Folder named after the Artist eg Jennifer Warnes or (Warnes, Jennifer if you prefer to sort by surname). This sub-folder will have perhaps 3 sub-sub-folders - one for each CD.

Then consider collecting all your Classical music into a big folder named Classical with sub-folders by Composer (Beethoven, etc) and each will have several CD sub-sub-folders.

Now you have a more comprehensive Folder hierarchy (without losing your one-per-CD mini folders), you can find software to pick any folder (Non-Classical or Jennifer Warnes, or Famous Blue Raincoat, etc) to play in its entirety and in random order if you wish.

Sorting your music into a clear and accurate Folder system can all be done easily within Windows' Cut & Paste facility, although you'll probably wish to change some folder names for clarity. It's much easier to re-sort this way than to mess about trying to re-tag your music. It will also make your music library so much easier to navigate..

Others will have other ideas of course, but this works well for me! Peter

Paul

Hi Adam have you tried roonlabs, I love the radio feature. If you start playing a track or album, once its finish it will search for something similar and continue all day. Is not cheap but it has a great interface and having the Lyrics coming up on a tablet or tv with a few beers can be very entertaining I run roon with Jplay, a linear power supply and fanless heat sinks.

AdamZ

Mar 23, 2017
Germanny
Hello Adam

I think the real problem is that you are trying to use a piece of non-hi-fi to do a hi-fi job.

This may be contentious, but I believe that PCs are not hi-fi and never will be, although they are fine for CONTROL ONLY - keep the SIGNAL away from generic PCs.

Although I'm sure there's a computer solution to your problem with some extra software, I think you should really be looking to move your music files onto a dedicated NAS drive or a hi-fi ripper such as offered by Bluesound, etc and ditch the PC as far as music is concerned. Then (if going the Bluesound route) you can use its excellent BluOS app to control your music. This app (unusually) is available for all 4 platforms (Windows and Mac PCs, Android and iDevice tablets or phones.

If you are keeping one folder for each individual CD, you have hundreds of sub-folder within your main Music folder.

Firstly consider this - put all you music by each artist into a fresh Folder named after the Artist eg Jennifer Warnes or (Warnes, Jennifer if you prefer to sort by surname). This sub-folder will have perhaps 3 sub-sub-folders - one for each CD.

Then consider collecting all your Classical music into a big folder named Classical with sub-folders by Composer (Beethoven, etc) and each will have several CD sub-sub-folders.

Now you have a more comprehensive Folder hierarchy (without losing your one-per-CD mini folders), you can find software to pick any folder (Non-Classical or Jennifer Warnes, or Famous Blue Raincoat, etc) to play in its entirety and in random order if you wish.

Sorting your music into a clear and accurate Folder system can all be done easily within Windows' Cut & Paste facility, although you'll probably wish to change some folder names for clarity. It's much easier to re-sort this way than to mess about trying to re-tag your music. It will also make your music library so much easier to navigate..

Others will have other ideas of course, but this works well for me! Peter
Hello Peter.
Thanks for your Post and the Advise,
A Community Member from the German "Dr. Windows" Forum told me
i can select the Folders i want to listen to
do a Rightclick on it
and i can open it with Windows Mediaplayer.
The WMP opens the included Tracks in the WMP Playlist.
And than i may choose for Random Play.
This looks good to me.
Tomorrrow i will try it at my Main Installation.
Please understand right:
this is a Background Sound Solution. Thats all.
Thanks for supporting me. ;)
Adam

Tam Lin

Mar 20, 2011
North Texas
And what i´m looking for is to play ALL the Titles(not the Folders!) in Random Mode.

Foobar will do what you want. Like you, my music is set up with one folder per CD and I play random tracks from my entire collection. I enjoy the unpredictable music sequences. Playing tracks in CD order is boring.

Hear Here

Feb 14, 2020
Portsmouth, UK
Foobar will do what you want. Like you, my music is set up with one folder per CD and I play random tracks from my entire collection. I enjoy the unpredictable music sequences. Playing tracks in CD order is boring.

That's fine if all your music is of a kind. If you have classical music in your collection, this is daft to play at random, particularly if bundled in with Amy Winehouse and 50 Cent! Peter

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing