Audio Critique

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amir

May 3, 2021
Tehran, Iran
www.amiraudio.com
System Break-in :

I think 300 hours is average time for most audio equipments . In break-in process Some believes we should not play non-stop 300 hours and we should turn off audio system (for 3 hours cool down) every 24 hours. It seems the warm-up / cool down process every 24 hours is better than non-stop playing .

Gordon Rankin told me :
"IF you keep the unit running continously these parts will not break in at all, but will tend to move to one place. That is not the place you want them to be at. By doing the continuous thing you will not break in the device at all. It may actually take months before you get the unit correct if you do this at first.

Therefore…….. just use the damn thing as you would normally with the unit run randomly and it will reach the first break in stage at about 40-50 hours."

Amir

May 3, 2021
Tehran, Iran
www.amiraudio.com
I have wrote about necessary conditions of audio system for right Audio judgment in this topic and now it is the time to write about Audiophiles (listeners) and the right method of judgment.

Reactions: Stef and PeterA

PYP

Jan 13, 2022
Southwest, USA
I have wrote about necessary conditions of audio system for right Audio judgment in this topic and now it is the time to write about Audiophiles (listeners) and the right method of judgment.
And so it begins...

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
and now it is the time to write about the right method of judgment.
Said no one before.

The last time this epiphany happened was when a young Eddie van halen erupted into the scene and taught all lead guitarists a new/right (?) way to play the solo.

Amir

May 3, 2021
Tehran, Iran
www.amiraudio.com

Amir

May 3, 2021
Tehran, Iran
www.amiraudio.com
Last edited:

Amir

May 3, 2021
Tehran, Iran
www.amiraudio.com

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Oooogh , Lets take a wild guess who is next up on stage !

Johnny the Shoeshine guy - he knows everything and was used for audio set up before google was invented

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Romy the Cat and David Karmeli go way back. David introduced me to Romy a couple years ago and we spent a delightful day together listening to Bruckner and eating the delicious lunch Romy prepared for us.

His system was pretty interesting. Five or six way horn system with large subwoofers in the ceiling and a Micro Seiki 8000 turntable. A great record collection. They both have large personalities and are complete opposites in many ways. David‘s nickname for Romy would be instantly banned on this site, but it’s pretty funny. Such colorful characters who have interesting ideas about the hobby.

David knows a lot about audio set up. Let’s see what Amir writes. This post will surely cause some giggling on the moon.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: tima and Argonaut

Amir

May 3, 2021
Tehran, Iran
www.amiraudio.com
Dear Peter thank you very much

I never met Romy but I have read his website since 2009 , very high level of audio thinking and very useful information

Amir

May 3, 2021
Tehran, Iran
www.amiraudio.com
Two questions come to my mind when I think about audiophiles reaction to the sound.

1- does “good/better sound” exist in absolute term?

2- what is the relation of “good/better sound” with “music listening experience” ?

Amir

May 3, 2021
Tehran, Iran
www.amiraudio.com
Question one,

I think yes, the better sound exist in absolute term and different taste/ideas all come from different experience/knowledge level of audiophiles.

Question two,
2- what is the relation of “good/better sound” with “music listening experience” ?

Most of the time I think the better sound has no relation to better music listening experience but this relationship is very complex.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Two questions come to my mind when I think about audiophiles reaction to the sound.

If you mean by absolute terms 'objectively', that is measurable or knowable independent of human experience, then I don't think so. The aesthetic of sound is a product of human judgement.

Imo, the better sound music listening experience comes from live music although some here believe their stereos can sound better than live.

Most of the time I think the better sound has no relation to better music listening experience but this relationship is very complex.

Audiophiles often split sound from music then seek to put them back together.

Reactions: Stef

Amir

May 3, 2021
Tehran, Iran
www.amiraudio.com
I do not mean ‘objectively’, what I mean is all about subjective listening experience.

Amir

May 3, 2021
Tehran, Iran
www.amiraudio.com
most audiophiles method for audio judgment is “I like/prefer it so it is better” , it means most audiophiles listen to sound of A vs B and focus on which is their favorite, if they prefer A then they think A is better.

Amir

May 3, 2021
Tehran, Iran
www.amiraudio.com
The method of “I like A more than B so A is better” should be replace by a right method.

Last edited:

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland

Better sound / better listening expirience is simple .... remove reviewers opinions from the equasion entirely

Accept its a subjective hobby .

PYP

Jan 13, 2022
Southwest, USA
Question two,

Since I'm sensitive to HF being "off" or any frequencies "sticking out" from what is "natural," if these are not present it is likely that I will be pulled into the music. Perhaps it is just a matter of lowering distortion to a threshold beyond which I am no longer distracted by the gear. Music emerges, not sound per se. If that makes sense...

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing