Audio Consulting MIPA 30

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Considering there is terribly little known about Audio Consulting, I thought I'd share this review of this MIPA, the amp that has all but replaced my Berning amplifier of many years!!

http://www.ultrahighendreview.com/audio-consulting-mipa-30-power-amplifier/

enjoy, and let me know what you think.

Disclaimer: No connection except satisfaction..

Little pricey ($15+K depending upon importer markup) for 30 watts? Plus it's not going to drive a lot of speakers out there too :(

egidius

Member Sponsor
Feb 13, 2011
Switzerland
Yes, but we're not talking Krell concept here but rather a high powered Shindo sound. But that's only me saying. That's why I pointed out where I am coming from; the ZH230 which replaced my ZH270 (i still keep them and like a lot) is not to be slighted ;-)
But when it comes down to it, yes pricey, just like all highend has gone down the pricedrain..just add a Zero!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Yes, but we're not talking Krell concept here but rather a high powered Shindo sound. But that's only me saying. That's why I pointed out where I am coming from; the ZH230 which replaced my ZH270 (i still keep them and like a lot) is not to be slighted ;-)
But when it comes down to it, yes pricey, just like all highend has gone down the pricedrain..just add a Zero!

congrats...looking forward to reading the review, but was already intrigued by high power Shindo. I have heard Shindo in my own system...I have never had the opp to hear Berning. Are they at all similar in sound? Somehow, from the readings of Berning, I never came away with the impression they were in the Shindo camp.

In any event, I really liked the small bit of Shindo sound I had in my system during the audition. I can easily see the attraction. How does your new piece compare to other tubed equipment besides Shindo or Berning? Just curious. Congrats again.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

So I take it the AC amp has more meat on the bones than does the Berning?

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Based on the picture, it doesn't look like a typical Swiss built product. It looks more like a garage built product.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Based on the picture, it doesn't look like a typical Swiss built product. It looks more like a garage built product.

And the reviewer seems to ignore the content of papers of Héphaïstos in “L'Audiophile” in the late 70’s. His account about thermal distortion is misleading.

Gérard Perrot (Héphaïstos is a pseudo) later founded Lavardin Technologies, a french company that manufactures some great sounding electronics that are not garage built. See this link for some though provoking comments . http://www.lavardin.com/HiFiNews-E.html

egidius

Member Sponsor
Feb 13, 2011
Switzerland
Ah..

congrats...looking forward to reading the review, but was already intrigued by high power Shindo. I have heard Shindo in my own system...I have never had the opp to hear Berning. Are they at all similar in sound? Somehow, from the readings of Berning, I never came away with the impression they were in the Shindo camp.

In any event, I really liked the small bit of Shindo sound I had in my system during the audition. I can easily see the attraction. How does your new piece compare to other tubed equipment besides Shindo or Berning? Just curious. Congrats again.

Sorry, wasn't clear: The AC gear has a glow that I remember only when once hearing Shindo, and then I can't remember the type, but it was quite a small thing, what a sound!
The Berning indeed is very different: If you like clear water, as I do, this is wonderfully useful and fun to use gear!

egidius

Member Sponsor
Feb 13, 2011
Switzerland

:) Indeed, if you would see mine (I posted some pictures in comparison to the shaketested FM acoustic gear http://http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?7053-FM-Acoustics-255-MkIIR/page2); it is even built to a higher degree of idyosyncracy: As little as possible screwed on, so that everything is very loosely connected. talk about point to point wiring, rather dangling..
Don't try to move that too much!!

Well, either, something's loose in my head, or it really does sound spectacular. I go for the second option, less rumbly.

Last edited:

egidius

Member Sponsor
Feb 13, 2011
Switzerland
history

And the reviewer seems to ignore the content of papers of Héphaïstos in “L'Audiophile” in the late 70’s. His account about thermal distortion is misleading.

Gérard Perrot (Héphaïstos is a pseudo) later founded Lavardin Technologies, a french company that manufactures some great sounding electronics that are not garage built. See this link for some though provoking comments . http://www.lavardin.com/HiFiNews-E.html

If the reviewer might be lacking in history, the maker of this gear is certainly not! Without knowing about this particular issue I can only assert that Serge Schmidlin freely acknowledges his inspirations and has a very ameanable understatement - and probably a big notion of whats commonly considered "esoteric nonsense" knowledge ;-)

But the sound, the sound!!

egidius

Member Sponsor
Feb 13, 2011
Switzerland
inflation

Little pricey ($15+K depending upon importer markup) for 30 watts? :(

...have you been to CES and heard the MIPA with the Scaena's? they must have done well (i was not there, so only hearsay) but the "little pricey" remark might be justified by now, as in the US the MIPA fetches 45K.
On the other hand: I have not ever come across that sound anywhere else.

http://www.stereophile.com/taxonomy/term-a/474?page=1

e

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing