Art For Our Listening Rooms

Wardsweb

May 8, 2010
San Antonio, TX
wardswebllc.com
Here is some Steely Dan art from the other side of the room.

aja_art.jpg

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
inside the entrance hall to the barn.

musical instruments as art.

i went to a local music store and purchased some used instruments. seemed like an appropriate thing to do. i'm always on the lookout for just the right 'art' thing to replace it but so far i'm happy with it.

entrance_art.jpg

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
inside the entrance hall to the barn.

musical instruments as art.

i went to a local music store and purchased some used instruments. seemed like an appropriate thing to do. i'm always on the lookout for just the right 'art' thing to replace it but so far i'm happy with it.

View attachment 10655

Great idea Mike, and it looks awesome!

sleepysurf

Sep 8, 2010
A few years ago I purchased two of the limited edition Willitts Designs "All That Jazz" sculptures. That series has been discontinued, but as collectibles, they now sell for multiples of what I bought them for (unlike my audio gear <g>).

All Night Long...

allnightlong.JPG

In the Groove...

inthegroove .jpg

Last edited:

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Depends on what art 'is':
a rather large buddha, a muybridge motion study, and various odd parts from old airplanes, cars, etc.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 226
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    456.6 KB · Views: 291

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I thought this thread was about "Art in the Listening Rooms", not art in the hallway. Shouldn't this be 'functional' art, if it's going in the listening room?

I doubt you would want some big reflective surface in a listening room. It should act as either a bass trap or some sort of diffusor.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I thought this thread was about "Art in the Listening Rooms", not art in the hallway. Shouldn't this be 'functional' art, if it's going in the listening room?

I doubt you would want some big reflective surface in a listening room. It should act as either a bass trap or some sort of diffusor.

I agree with the idea Bruce.

I chose my large oil painting as the frame had a depth of over 2" behind which my acoustician stuffed "Paradise Foam" to provide further absorption

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
P1010421.jpg

Studied under this for two years in Dental School. Landlord's daughter was a high end art dealer in LA, and said I could keep a piece of art. I chose this one since it watched over me for two years, it's been in my listening rooms ever since.

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Studied under this for two years in Dental School. Landlord's daughter was a high end art dealer in LA, and said I could keep a piece of art. I chose this one since it watched over me for two years, it's been in my listening rooms ever since.

But how does this affect the sound.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Strictly personal history and mood ambience. It's a pretty crappy reflector/diffuser.

Didn't think the OP was concerned with functionality.

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Didn't think the OP was concerned with functionality.

Wouldn't you want whatever you place in your listening room to not have a detrimental effect? Someone that has spent thousands on a room/system to get it to sound good, you certinally wouldn't put something in there that would undermine all your hard work!

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
My view is that the whole thing is a compromise, but a compromise that is geared for my enjoyment. A bit of give and take is no problemo.

It is nothing more than a floating garden that fluctuates with time and entropy. If I can get pleasure from it in the present moment, then absolute standards are nothing more than optional guide rails. There is so much built in error in audio, that a system is more like an act of artful targeting than rigid rule keeping.

Having a piece of art in the room that has no other function, or even and a potential anti-function, isn't a deal breaker, if it is part of the mood.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
New Floyd poster 24x36 poster I will locate in the side wall cubby where the racks are and the Classic Records framed albums from Classic Record's offices...

Attachments

• $T2eC16NHJHwE9n8ig+fBBQwZGCLUOw~~60_3.jpg
    $T2eC16NHJHwE9n8ig+fBBQwZGCLUOw~~60_3.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 70
  • 518c35344bad1.jpg
    518c35344bad1.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 71

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Wouldn't you want whatever you place in your listening room to not have a detrimental effect? Someone that has spent thousands on a room/system to get it to sound good, you certinally wouldn't put something in there that would undermine all your hard work!

If it would otherwise be a bare wall, it probably won't have a detrimental effect.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing