Aqua LinQ Core Module

Arcadia Audio

Industry Expert
May 6, 2020
www.aquahifi.com
We would like to make an important announcement about the new LinQ Core module, HQPlayer-based.

This module has been designed as an Audio Engine for Roon with zero-setup, ready to use immediately.

The Core exploits the new i.MX8 micro (ARM 64bit), with its incredible performance, low?latency, revolutionary power efficiency and a customized lightweight kernel (UNIX-based).

The HQPlayer-based LinQ Core remains true to the philosophy of aqua brand, it is not aimed at digital signal processing.

The goal is extreme sound quality, while at the same time avoiding complex configurations required by HQPlayer Embedded.

To our customers, we want to be clear: we recommend the HQP Core module to the enthusiast who is looking for musical quality and zero-configuration. For them, this is a perfect solution and we are certain they will be happy. While other solutions are more suitable for those who want to experiment with digital filters and signal processing in general. For example, the NAA (Network Audio Adapter) module inside the LinQ, together with a high-performance computer or server running HQPlayer Desktop or Embedded.

stnsw

Apr 5, 2021
Please, could you tell me if the cable to attach the LinQ to an Aqua DAC comes with it (I imagine not) or is proprietary (I imagine so) and purchased with it?
Also, could you tell me whether the Roon Nucleus (plain) would be an appropriate server for the LinQ with the HQP module, or whether something else would be better?

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Has the Aqua vs Roon saga finally ended ? Is the LinQ Roon ready ?

Reactions: jasond

r32nj

Jan 10, 2018
If using Roon to feed the LinQ with the HQP Core module, do you also have to purchase the HQP NAA module or is it not required?

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
We would like to make an important announcement about the new LinQ Core module, HQPlayer-based.

This module has been designed as an Audio Engine for Roon with zero-setup, ready to use immediately.

The Core exploits the new i.MX8 micro (ARM 64bit), with its incredible performance, low?latency, revolutionary power efficiency and a customized lightweight kernel (UNIX-based).

The HQPlayer-based LinQ Core remains true to the philosophy of aqua brand, it is not aimed at digital signal processing.

The goal is extreme sound quality, while at the same time avoiding complex configurations required by HQPlayer Embedded.

To our customers, we want to be clear: we recommend the HQP Core module to the enthusiast who is looking for musical quality and zero-configuration. For them, this is a perfect solution and we are certain they will be happy. While other solutions are more suitable for those who want to experiment with digital filters and signal processing in general. For example, the NAA (Network Audio Adapter) module inside the LinQ, together with a high-performance computer or server running HQPlayer Desktop or Embedded.

IIUC, when using Roon with the new HQP Core module I need the NAA module anyway.
Please, can you elaborate what the advantage is the use both the HQP Core module and the NAA module in comparison to using the NAA module only?
Thank you

Matt

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
I am using Roon with the new module all by itself. Works fine.

Just for clarification:

You are using LinQ with HQP Core module and WITHOUT NAA module?

Matt

stnsw

Apr 5, 2021
Just for clarification:

You are using LinQ with HQP Core module and WITHOUT NAA module?

Matt
I am using the LinQ with "the new LinQ Core module, HQPlayer-based". Only the single module. It all just worked. I haven't tried to set up HQplayer. I am just using Roon. The display on the LinQ says that.

Reactions: NightTiger

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
@Arcadia Audio

Please can you confirm whether the new HQP Core module can work WITHOUT the NAA module or not?
Thanks

Matt

Reactions: NightTiger

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
Hi guys, i have the LinQ equiped with the HQPlayer Core module and also have the NAA module.
Right now i'm using the plug and play solution that Aqua recommends for Qobuz and Tidal streaming with Roon Rock installed on a NUC.
Can someone tell me what do i have to do if i want to experiment with HQPlayer upsampling.
Do i need to build a powerful NUC and install HQPlayer desktop on it to use the upsampling option.
Is it really worth bothering ?
Rig Brice 3.jpg

stnsw

Apr 5, 2021
I am using the LinQ with "the new LinQ Core module, HQPlayer-based". Only the single module. It all just worked. I haven't tried to set up HQplayer. I am just using Roon. The display on the LinQ says that.
I had thought I was using the newest module, but I wasn't. The machine actually came with the Roon RAAT module (retired in 2020). However, I now have in it the HQPlayer Core + NAA (cascade-module). Although sold as a single item this is a double module and occupies two slots in the Linq and costs double. The info for the modules is very confusing. I set up the HQ bit on Roon easily. The SQ is better than with the Roon RAAT module. I do not know if you can do upscaling with this module—I don't see an option to do that. I can say that we have in the past done upscaling (different system) but have no inclination to do so now.

Ikhuong

Jun 22, 2021
I am a bit lost with audio circle on the digital streaming platforms at the moment.
In recent years, most Network renderer designers have endosed the importance to seperate cpu-intensive applications to dedicated servers to ensure generated noise from cpus not to penetrate to DAC/transporter , so streaming users bought into ideas to move cpu-intensive apps as far away as possible in hifi chain.

Now with HQplayer Core to be installed inside LinQ and in charge for upsampling/converting or cpu intensive process, so we come back to Day 1? also, the roles of expensive music server is also less critical. So we come back to the original ideas of Roon CIO in their forums that it is engineer job to design Roon enpoint to sound best, not to depend on server quality,

so LinQ HQPlayer Core and NAA is definitely refecting Roon’s design ideas and philosophy, that is a big round To come back to day 1. The new module might be a step up in sound quality thanks to low noise high performance MX8 micro chip but it is a step down in design philosophy IMO
so in the future, we should have Roon Core module with another Mx8 chip on LinQ as well , then literally noone really needs expensive music servers like Antipodes, Taiko or Melco.

anyway, it will all come down to final sound quality and availability technology to enable designers to achieve sound quality that everyone wants, however, all the talk and ideas about high-end music servers would become questionable

Last edited:

LarryK

Jan 27, 2018
I own a Aqua Formula DAC fed from a MacMini running as my Roon Core, with subscriptions to both Tidal and Qobuz. I'm happy with the setup but wonder how I could improve sound quality.

Is the LinQ the way to do that? Should I also get a different Roon core? I don't quite understand HQPlayer and NAA and what they buy me. Could somebody explain it to me?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
I own a Aqua Formula DAC fed from a MacMini running as my Roon Core, with subscriptions to both Tidal and Qobuz. I'm happy with the setup but wonder how I could improve sound quality.

Is the LinQ the way to do that? Should I also get a different Roon core? I don't quite understand HQPlayer and NAA and what they buy me. Could somebody explain it to me?

Thanks!
If you are into hardcore Qobuz and Tidal streaming like i am, i would recommend the gear you see in my pic on this page :
LinQ with HQPlayer, Roon Rock fanless NUC powered by LPSU, Router powered LPSU, Paul Pang Quad Switch with all of it's cabling, top notch Ethernet cables and SOTM ISO CAT 6.

stnsw

Apr 5, 2021
I have been told that HQPlayer and NAA shifts the music processing from the (in my case) Roon Nucleus to the LinQ, which is better. It definitely does sound better. Earlier we had the Roon module in the LinQ, which didn't sound as good. We also used a Mini earlier run headless from a MacBook pro. It sounds better through the Nucleus/Linq system. Expensive, but better. I've been told this is because of noise. Anything you do to keep the electrical signal running clean helps. So, yes, the cables all matter, too. We don't stream from the internet (because it doesn't sound as good) though we have Qobuz. I gather that we are streaming within our own system, with the music on a SSD attached to the Nucleus.

Bmwsport007

May 9, 2021
I have been told that HQPlayer and NAA shifts the music processing from the (in my case) Roon Nucleus to the LinQ, which is better. It definitely does sound better. Earlier we had the Roon module in the LinQ, which didn't sound as good. We also used a Mini earlier run headless from a MacBook pro. It sounds better through the Nucleus/Linq system. Expensive, but better. I've been told this is because of noise. Anything you do to keep the electrical signal running clean helps. So, yes, the cables all matter, too. We don't stream from the internet (because it doesn't sound as good) though we have Qobuz. I gather that we are streaming within our own system, with the music on a SSD attached to the Nucleus.

Bmwsport007

May 9, 2021
Hi guys, i have the LinQ equiped with the HQPlayer Core module and also have the NAA module.
Right now i'm using the plug and play solution that Aqua recommends for Qobuz and Tidal streaming with Roon Rock installed on a NUC.
Can someone tell me what do i have to do if i want to experiment with HQPlayer upsampling.
Do i need to build a powerful NUC and install HQPlayer desktop on it to use the upsampling option.
Is it really worth bothering ?
View attachment 81715

Bmwsport007

May 9, 2021
just curious you mentioned using a Roon Rock Nuc- can you recommend a particular company. i Currently have the Aqua LinQ on demo and have to say it Sounds incredible compared to my Zenith MK3. I have a very similar system to yours but with a MSB DAC . Did you try the Aqua with a Mac or similar prior to buying the NUC, if so what were the benefits to you.
Also would like to hear your thoughts on the Paul Pang switch, I’ve been considering Innuos PhoenixNET etc having read a lot of positive reviews.

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
My NUC is my own build, you just need to purchase an Intel NUC an Akasa fanless case, an SSD and some memory.
Open up the Intel NUC, unscrew the motherboard and install it in the Akasa fanless case nothing complicated.
You will have to install Roon Rock on your SSD from a USB stick.
I recommend you power your NUC with and LPSU like my Farad Super 3.
If you are not confortable with simple computer build you can always purchase a Roon Nucleus but it's more expensive.
Paul Pang Quad Switch is spectacular, i just couldn't do without it anymore, level of clarity is unmatched.

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
I've stated this in other posts but it bears repeating here, I think.

To get an idea how good the LinQ is in terms of sound quality - I bought an Innuos Statement and compared it to the LinQ + my DIY music PC and my setup was clearly better. Better in terms of 1) Clarity 2) spacial cue definition and tighter more articulate bass. The only nod that goes to the Statement is a bit more body, but IMO it was at the sacrifice to the bass clarity benefits.

However, if you want to upsample I don't believe the LinQ's HQP Core has the horsepower to do so. I run HQP as a straight pass - through no upsampling, no dither no filters and it sounds best to my ears in my system. YMMV.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing