AppleTV X - I am playing with something new

Xymox

Apr 16, 2019
www.appletvx.com
I did a AB comparison of the power supply noise on a stock APpleTV and on one I did the mods to. I did not use a good linear tho so it could be even better. Remember there is more magic then just the power supply tho.

vjayh

May 19, 2012
As an owner of one of these modded Apple TV X units, it is a no brainer for me. 99% of my TV viewing is via streaming, so the argument of "is it as good as blu-ray" is really moot. Most of what I watch isn't available in blu-ray. My modded, souped up OPPO with linear power supply just sits mostly unused, almost ready to pull it completely from the system. Can't remember the last time I went and bought or ordered a Blu-Ray. I needed a solution that improved "Ozark" on Netflix...as well as "The Batman" on HBOMAX.

Initially I upgraded the power cord and also isolated the ethernet thru high quality switch, and physically isolated the unit with vibration control-- all the same as most are doing with digital audio tweaks. Made a little positive difference. Then I did try with just modding the power supply, and although there was some improvement, most of the big improvement came with the whole of the mods. And not just the picture quality, which is easily recognizable difference by anyone, but the audio makes such a big leap. The picture has so much less noise and the colors are so much more saturated and vibrant. You kind of go "whoa" when the Apple menu pops up! Bright, solid, 3D. The audio the first thing you notice is a big soundstage compared to stock.

Anyway, this unit made a profound difference in my system, both on a projection system as well as OLEDs. Again, "no brainer" if like me you watch a lot of streaming and wished the quality was better. Does it depend on the source? Well, sure. But I've yet to find one program that doesn't benefit greatly from stock. I also get that AppleTV will obsolete in a couple of years when the next AppleTV comes out, but that's the nature of the beast. When 8k TVs came out I didn't pull all the 4K OLEDs off the wall...so I'll cross that bridge when I come to it in a year or 2. Meanwhile for the cost of what some of us spend on a power cord....I'll enjoy marked improvements in all programming for a couple of years. Thanks to Xymox for pushing the envelope.

Xymox

Apr 16, 2019
www.appletvx.com
As an owner of one of these modded Apple TV X units, it is a no brainer for me. 99% of my TV viewing is via streaming, so the argument of "is it as good as blu-ray" is really moot. Most of what I watch isn't available in blu-ray. My modded, souped up OPPO with linear power supply just sits mostly unused, almost ready to pull it completely from the system. Can't remember the last time I went and bought or ordered a Blu-Ray. I needed a solution that improved "Ozark" on Netflix...as well as "The Batman" on HBOMAX.

Initially I upgraded the power cord and also isolated the ethernet thru high quality switch, and physically isolated the unit with vibration control-- all the same as most are doing with digital audio tweaks. Made a little positive difference. Then I did try with just modding the power supply, and although there was some improvement, most of the big improvement came with the whole of the mods. And not just the picture quality, which is easily recognizable difference by anyone, but the audio makes such a big leap. The picture has so much less noise and the colors are so much more saturated and vibrant. You kind of go "whoa" when the Apple menu pops up! Bright, solid, 3D. The audio the first thing you notice is a big soundstage compared to stock.

Anyway, this unit made a profound difference in my system, both on a projection system as well as OLEDs. Again, "no brainer" if like me you watch a lot of streaming and wished the quality was better. Does it depend on the source? Well, sure. But I've yet to find one program that doesn't benefit greatly from stock. I also get that AppleTV will obsolete in a couple of years when the next AppleTV comes out, but that's the nature of the beast. When 8k TVs came out I didn't pull all the 4K OLEDs off the wall...so I'll cross that bridge when I come to it in a year or 2. Meanwhile for the cost of what some of us spend on a power cord....I'll enjoy marked improvements in all programming for a couple of years. Thanks to Xymox for pushing the envelope.

Thank you Jay :)

The audio really is amazing. I would have never thought audio could be this good from a HDMI based source. I never thought I could get this quality of picture either.

Hehehe, I also have noticed the AppleTV menus. The mods are clearly visible immd when the menu pops up. The icons kinda stand out better and look more precision. More solid and well rendered. I have noticed this with subtitles too. I think this is the CPU being dejittered and cleanly clocked.

physically isolated the unit with vibration control

Indeed these steps do matter. I found when doing the mods that isolating the tuned transmission line of caps inside the unit benefited from isolation and vibration control. So I use a thin layer of sorbothane to mount and isolate the caps from the unit and then use a very flexible set of wires to connect to the AppleTV board so the cap section stays isolated. I treated the mods like I was doing a phono preamp.

isolated the ethernet thru high quality switch

Using a SoTM or a Ether Regen do indeed help.

"this unit made a profound difference in my system"

Every client that has one has said these very words. Its exactly what has happened in my system too. This is the reason I am making them for others, I want to share this fun experience with others.

Jay was the first owner of a AppleTV X. He now owns more then one. He has more experience with it then anyone else and has one on a number of different systems now.

Thanks again Jay for your kind words and for taking the time to post your experience :)

Reactions: mrbeyondable

odz

May 15, 2022
The skinny: Ever bought an upgrade that made you want to go back and listen to every song you'd ever heard and re-see every video and/or show, understanding , maybe for the first time just how much you'd missed. This is that.

"Fat" to follow -a detailed review

odz

May 15, 2022
the Fat: I will try to be succinct, but there is a lot to say. Firstly, I bought the appleX attempting to better sound quality from my Apple Music app. I really like the easy interface at apple and feel their quality would be up to par, were it not for the guts in the apple box itself. I bought an ethernet cable because of excellent reviews and 22awg spec. and , yes could hear a difference, even though the ethernet cable was a mere 36.bucks and the improvement was not nothing, but minimal. That got me to call the etherregen people, who , after hearing about my setup, said I should call this guy who was doing appletv mods. I own a Sony master series 75" 4k tv. so did not believe I'd be achieving anything on the video end, as it was already great -really great. It was all about the sonics for me. so, before we get into the sonics, let me say the PQ exploded off the screen, making contrast, color saturation and definition beyond anything I've seen anywhere. I check now to see if movies have been remastered, or if I have! Everything , including older movies look unlike anything I remember. Even crumby small budget films from yesteryear, look redone. so there's that.

more to come..

odz

May 15, 2022
the Fatter: So about the audio. My Apple TV, Sony blu-ray, and Comcast box all feed my Sony master series TV via HDMI cables - none of them anything special. Everything is then fed out via a single glass optical cable into an Esoteric K-03x DAC/CD/SACD player. the Esoteric is splendid (in my opinion) playing cds, and though the Apple TV sounded good, it did not have the sparkle and solidity, and 3d quality I felt I was getting from the CD section of the Esoteric, though they were both using the same inner DAC. thus my quest to upgrade the Apple's innards. My Esoteric feeds my Meridian G65 processor via Audience Front row rca cables which then go out to Wilson Audio Sashas. incl. a center channel and rears. the first thing that is obvious about the appletv mod is the introduction of a linear power supply, which allows one to use a high end power cable as opposed to the (is it a C2 plug?) provided by Apple. Using the linear power supply and a Pangea power cable, the sound quality got substantially better, and I felt the price of admission already worth while, but then adding a cheaper Shunyata power cable -close to their entry level- it took another step forward. Finally, using a shunyata Anaconda PC I achieved just what I'd been hoping for. Much more solid bass, better soundstage, unsurpassed detail. I'm a real believer in shunyata Pcs and have been upgrading one after another for maybe 2 decades, I'm not sure. But the difference now between my CD player and the Apple TV is negligible, and I think the small difference between them could just be differences in PC. Having said that, the Apple TV right out of the box showed such improvement that I'd be hard-pressed to say that the PCs I used weren't more than icing on the cake. What Xymox has done with the Appletv has been as exciting as any PC upgrade I've ever done, and I'm always amazed by them. Simply using the mods and the associated equipment sent by Xymox is revelatory. Hog heaven.
the downside is... oh, that's right, there wasn't one.

Reactions: Almostlast

Xymox

Apr 16, 2019
www.appletvx.com
the downside is... oh, that's right, there wasn't one.

Hahaha... Yes i can't find one ether.. Well the price.. For me its the damn labor, its ANNOYING to do one of these. WAY too much surface mount ****.. No room.. Its all too small... So far no one has reported ANY downside, so Odz your not alone.

Wow.. Great review.. Thank you odz. For most people reading this, even me, getting good sound from HDMI seems impossible. But,, I have heard it myself many times now. Some movies have startling audio. The Empire Strikes Back, has just amazing sound. Great imaging, great delination of each instrument and section, breathy wind instruments, great strings, great harmonics on brass. Its startling you can get this from a movie. Its better then a heavy modded Oppo BluRay. Its quite distracting for me during a movie, I kinda loose track of the movie while listening to the soundtrack.

The picture so far has produced consistant comments. "Stunning" is the most common word. But I also get "Jaw dropping", "OMFG". "WOW" and more. What always happens is they hook it up and play 20 mins of it and then i get a email from thier mobile device as they sit in front of it jaw dropped. Then later I get a more complete email.

Ever bought an upgrade that made you want to go back and listen to every song you'd ever heard and re-see every video and/or show, understanding , maybe for the first time just how much you'd missed. This is that.

Yep.. I am still doing this 4 months later. I watched 2001 last night and I think I will watch the 1968 Planet Of The Apes tonight. I also have Clockwork Orange that i will have to rewatch..

Simply using the mods and the associated equipment sent by Xymox is revelatory. Hog heaven.

:) Hog Heaven & revelatory are new ones i will add to the list :) Thank you for the compliments :)

What you guys are experiencing is exactly why I decided to make this and share it with others. Its a really a awesome experience and really great to go back and see all this film, and music, artform the way it was supposed to be.

Reactions: Zeotrope

Xymox

Apr 16, 2019
www.appletvx.com
WAIT... there is a downside...

I have not slept well in months. No joke. I end up watching something and staying up WAY too late and the next day I regret it.. Then, damn it, i do it again.. Last night, 2001 kept up up till 1a even tho i SWORE I would stop it at midnight..

So. the downside is its addicting. Its not wearing off either. I keep thinking of new movies to rewatch.. Hmmm.. The orginal Terminator ? Fifth Element ? The first Jurassic Park ?

AngeloVRA

Mar 7, 2020
While I appreciate this effort, what I really wonder is the improvement possible simply by replacing the existing power supply with a 12V linear supply. There are many good linear supplies available for a few hundred dollars and less. My guess is that this may be the more attractive option (at least it is for me). Pull out the stock digital supply and leave me a female 2.1 mm connection for my own LPS and charge a reasonable fee. But for $2500, as they say on Shark Tank, "I'm out".
Hi @marty,

Just to share… that is exactly what I did with my Apple TV 4K about 2 years ago.
I’m not sure if it’s okay to share the following old pics of my DIY effort. If inappropriate, mods please delete.

D2B3A14A-00FD-417C-8FF1-0FB9EDEAEA7A.jpeg Took off bottom cover…

439C12FE-9527-4183-A795-8EBE3D740C84.jpeg
and the 1st layer off …

CA960EF9-3FEB-4FC9-8F9E-1308C62B18E3.jpeg DE5F7620-C423-47BE-AAEE-A70C560EEA32.jpeg
Removed the C8 IEC connector.

6ACA7A6B-0085-4F97-85F7-2E18AEBCA6D1.jpeg
Taking off the 2nd layer board reveals these 2 mini-bolts which are the DC power connections

54BBC3A6-DE90-48A2-9ECB-F42D86A49FF8.jpeg
To which I connected the 2 wires and routed them out of the case.