Anyone try Simaudio P-8

MCLSOUND

Mar 26, 2011
I was always interested in this pre and wondering if anyone tried this one and with what equipment.I have a chance at getting one within my budget...
thanks guys
john

MCLSOUND

Mar 26, 2011
hi Rich
I have read this review but Kal doesn't seem to have much good to say about Simaudio so I dont know how to take this??I would rather hear from some other experiences.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
hi Rich
I have read this review but Kal doesn't seem to have much good to say about Simaudio so I dont know how to take this??
??? I didn't exactly jump up and down like a child but I thought it was above reproach. If Simaudio made MCH components, I'd own them now.

MCLSOUND

Mar 26, 2011
hi Kal
I was refering to your non comments on the CP8 processor.It just seemed as if you did not like something about Sim was all.I never once expected any jumping??Your artical was fine but me and you use/listen to completly different stuff.I use Krell(FPB 600c,SACD standard MK3) and Marantz(UD9004) and Raysonic(CD128).Have you ever compared the P-8 to a Krell KCT??

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
hi Kal
I was refering to your non comments on the CP8 processor.It just seemed as if you did not like something about Sim was all.I never once expected any jumping??Your artical was fine but me and you use/listen to completly different stuff.I use Krell(FPB 600c,SACD standard MK3) and Marantz(UD9004) and Raysonic(CD128).Have you ever compared the P-8 to a Krell KCT??
Reviewers have intrinsic biases and I am put off from Krell (and some others) by esthetic issues. As for the CP-8, I have never heard one, so you should not interpret my statements (or the lack thereof) as casting any aspersions on Simaudio. In fact, I am generally a big fan as can be gleaned from all the reviews of Simaudio that I have published.

Kal

MCLSOUND

Mar 26, 2011
thanks kal
but what is it about krell you despise...there sound,looks,attitude?Being a reviewer,that makes you the tell of audio truth..so I am curious why you don not like Krell?
I do thankyou for your your reply.You are a big fan of Simaudio and I take it you like the P-8 according to your review.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
thanks kal
but what is it about krell you despise...there sound,looks,attitude?Being a reviewer,that makes you the tell of audio truth..so I am curious why you don not like Krell?
Looks and attitude and they are hard to separate. Certainly not the sound. As for being "the tell of audio truth," I think that is putting more on me that I am willing to assume. I try to be honest but, being no less human than the rest, I am no less biased and subjective. That said, admission my known biases is part of being truthful.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
I own the SimMoon Andromeda CDP and strongly considered the P-8 pre. I think at this price level, there are a lot of terrific preamp choices. Since the preamp truly is the heart of an audio system, it is worth auditioning a number of models before making a final decision.

MCLSOUND

Mar 26, 2011
I recently had a wonderful opportunity to put a Simaudio P8,Krell KCT,and Gryphon Mirage in the same system on the wknd.It was a great time.
The results were as you would expect
1rst-Gryphon
2nd-P8
Although we came to the conclusion that the KCT is a great pre and for the PRICE(under $4000) on the used market.Highly recomended.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing